Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dropped a wrench today which caused a small chip in the paint on my tank. (Not happy with myself). Any quick fixes out there, outside of going to a body shop?

·
Limited Edition - Solid Red Roadmaster
3,516 Posts
unless your a master with touch up paint repairs - I would defer to the auto body experts...

The same week I had bought my 2012 GL1800, I dropped an allen wrench on one of the saddle bags - the resulting chip was physically less than .5MM diameter, but to me it was about 2 inches of horror !!

Perhaps its a reason to consider having some custom paint or decal added to your tank?

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
Short of taking it to a professional there isn't much you can do....BUT....... If you can get some touch up paint, and the smallest sharpest brush you can find (you can even use a toothpick), you can slowly fill the chip with touch up paint without gobbing it on and creating an obvious eyesore repair.

Pick up a small amount of paint and touch the middle of the chip. Do this once, don't just keep adding paint....Let it dry and do it again. Repeat this until you level the chip with the surface of the tank. This will not fix it but it will make it less obvious until you choose to have it repaired. Do it carefully and you may be happy enough with your work to leave it be!

Reactions: Dave57

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Touch up paint and use a paper match. The torn end(of course). Works well to put a coating on and doesnt blob.
Good luck!

·
Early joiner
235 Posts
You can get the paint from TouchUpDirect.com. They have the Indian colors and the Indian Red matched my Chieftain perfectly. (had a small rock chip in saddle bag lid) They also carry the clear coat.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
4,070 Posts
I tried one of those paint touch kits on my wifes trike to day, looks worse than the chip did. :(

1 - 6 of 6 Posts