Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For you cold weather riders. I ran into a situation where my Vintage would not start in the cold. I mean 15 degree cold. Had just taken delivery of my bike from the dealer so the key fob was still attached to the mirror with a tie wrap. Tried for 30 minutes to figure it out with the delivery guy. Sent the bike back to the dealer where they determined that the key fob shut down due to the cold. They went through an elaborate procedure of bike warm, fob cold and Bike cold, fob warm to prove it to me. Acted just like the key fob was out of range.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
20198 said:
For you cold weather riders. I ran into a situation where my Vintage would not start in the cold. I mean 15 degree cold. Had just taken delivery of my bike from the dealer so the key fob was still attached to the mirror with a tie wrap. Tried for 30 minutes to figure it out with the delivery guy. Sent the bike back to the dealer where they determined that the key fob shut down due to the cold. They went through an elaborate procedure of bike warm, fob cold and Bike cold, fob warm to prove it to me. Acted just like the key fob was out of range.
So the Dealer not show you how to start your bike without the fob.
The key fob is only one way.
The pin entered through your switch housing is there specifically for if this happens or if you lose your fob.
It really sucks that the Dealers don't read up on these things ' before ' they let a customer take their machines.

Sad part is I'm still waiting for my Dealer to give me my factory pin number so I can re-set mine.

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think that my dealer went above and beyond to figure this out really. Who would guess that the cold would affect the fob. I posted this as a watch out for cold weather riders. Keep that fob in your pocket.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
20198 said:
I think that my dealer went above and beyond to figure this out really. Who would guess that the cold would affect the fob. I posted this as a watch out for cold weather riders. Keep that fob in your pocket.
I'm not knocking your Dealer for doing the testing they did, most batteries are affected by the cold it drains them pretty fast.
My post was just saying the Dealer should have made you aware of the ' pin starting ' method should your battery die or you lose your fob, if you were aware then you could have started your bike without the fob.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Supposedly, the dealer network is starting out slowly to ensure the dealers are damn near perfect before they sell the bikes. Guess not. It's their job to figure out what's wrong with the bike, even if their process seem 'elaborate'. Their just doing their job. They should have known about the bypass procedure and shared it with you.
spider --- You should have been given that when you took delivery of your bike. The fact that you didn't is a poor reflection on your dealer. Even if the dealer didn't have that info from Indian, they should have been on the phone to corporate right away.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
10966 said:
Supposedly, the dealer network is starting out slowly to ensure the dealers are damn near perfect before they sell the bikes.  Guess not.  It's their job to figure out what's wrong with the bike, even if their process seem 'elaborate'.  Their just doing their job.  They should have known about the bypass procedure and shared it with you.
spider --- You should have been given that when you took delivery of your bike.  The fact that you didn't is a poor reflection on your dealer.  Even if the dealer didn't have that info from Indian, they should have been on the phone to corporate right away.
Absolutely agree.
It's been almost 2 1/2 months since I've picked up my Indian and I still can't start it ' without ' my fob.
I have called my Dealer no less than 3 times and get the same answer.
' we don't know ', ' Indian has not gotten back to us '
I stopped calling my Dealer, i'll try Facebook and the PR line, not that they actually work but it's something to try.

Really too bad how Polaris has dropped the ball here.
I love my bike but the parent company leaves a lot to be desired.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That really sucks. what is going to happen if yougo on a long ride and get caught hundreds of miles from home and the temp drops. I have done it , started out in the 70 the next morning 600 miles away the temp was 29. I am sure there must be a manual way to start the bike, the dealer should know this, you did not buy the bike on the corner out of a tent. You would think that a dealer that spent that kind of money to get a Indian Dealership would know his product!!!!

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The cold doesn't train the battery. It stops a chemical reaction keeping it from functioning... Some people freeze their batteries for long term storage, which is a bad idea, and totally off topic.

-kg

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey Spider. I think that as long as your fob will start the bike you can reset you PIN to whatever you want it to be. Procedure is on page 115 in the manual. You do not need to know the factory PIN.

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
1169 said:
Absolutely agree. It's been almost 2 1/2 months since I've picked up my Indian and I still can't start it ' without ' my fob. I have called my Dealer no less than 3 times and get the same answer. ' we don't know ', ' Indian has not gotten back to us ' I stopped calling my Dealer, i'll try Facebook and the PR line, not that they actually work but it's something to try. Really too bad how Polaris has dropped the ball here. I love my bike but the parent company leaves a lot to be desired.
I recieved master pin on my paperwork titled certificate of Pre-delivery inspection. Dealer should have recieved it with bike. I already had mine perosnalized so I would remember it. It is actually titled as master pin so I can use either code. Will come in handy when cant find fob.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
20198 said:
Hey Spider. I think that as long as your fob will start the bike you can reset you PIN to whatever you want it to be. Procedure is on page 115 in the manual. You do not need to know the factory PIN.
Time to actually read that book.
Thanks.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
20132 said:
I  recieved master pin on my paperwork titled certificate of Pre-delivery inspection. Dealer should have recieved it with bike. I already had mine perosnalized so I would remember it. It is actually titled as master pin so I can use either code. Will come in handy when cant find fob.
Mine was the first bike the Dealer received so in defense of the Dealer maby they didn't know what to do. I called numerous times and still no help.
Winters here i'll sort it out before spring.
I like to ride some days in the winter so if my fob doesn't work i'll need the pin.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am in the same situation. I have asked my dealer to give me the master pin number (which is on the 'Key Fob Maintenance' screen in Digital Wrench) as it is about an 8 hour drive to the dealer. I don't think they want to share it so I will have to go there so they can set up a PIN that I can use and also change.

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Procedure to change PIN is on page 115 of the owners manual. No need to know the original PIN.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
19953 said:
I am in the same situation. I have asked my dealer to give me the master pin number (which is on the 'Key Fob Maintenance' screen in Digital Wrench) as it is about an 8 hour drive to the dealer. I don't think they want to share it so I will have to go there so they can set up a PIN that I can use and also change.
Maybe I can save you 16 hours on the road?
The document you attached in your post clearly states: 'The master security system PIN must be available prior to entering the customer security PIN for the first time. The master PIN can be located on the Key Fob Maintenance Screen in Digital Wrench.'

Being wired the way I am, I decided to look into what the hell a digital wrench is. During my research I learned that this is essentially a way for a personal computer (sorry no fruit allowed) to communicate with the onboard computers within just about everything Polaris sells. Sure, you may require a different cable setup to communicate with a snomobile versus a motorcycle or ATV, but the software itself is exactly the same. Thus I'm thinking/guessing you may be able to visit your nearest Polaris dealer to have them lookup your 'master security system PIN' such that you can then set your own PIN.

The current base version of Polaris Digital Wrench is v3.5 and it appears if the 8/20/2013 update is installed on top of the v3.5 software installation, the software will 'talk' to your Indian. Of course, there have been updates since 8/20/2013, but that particular update is when the digital wrench software started to support Indian motorcycles. The most recent update is 11/10/2013.
<a href='http://polaris.diagsys.com/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=viewdownload&cid=39' target='_blank'>8/20/2013 Digital Wrench info</a>
<a href='http://polaris.diagsys.com/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=viewdownload&cid=38' target='_blank'>Most current Digital Wrench update</a>

Maybe a couple hours on the phone with nearby Polaris service managers could save you 16 hours on the road for something that should have been addressed when you picked up your new ride? I've never seen or used the software, but with your document in hand I'm confident that any service manager worth a damn could hook your bike to their PC (provided they have the proper cable and version of digital wrench), go to the Key Fob Maintenance screen and tell you your master PIN. Just trying to help and throwing out an idea.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
This is really sad. The PIN should be a 2 minute phone call but should be in the paperwork at the point of sale. It appears they remain the same as they were with delays. Now the service stuff gets to start to be an issue. I was hoping the Indian would get better than the Polaris attitude of sell then forget who they are. I guess not.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I had been thinking that the Master Pin was common with all Indians. If Digital Wrench (which my local Polaris Dealer should have, can see the unique PIN on my bike, huge problem solved. Thanks for the help and research. Saves me a lot.

Regarding the dealer, I suspect as it was one of the first Indians they delivered, and being winter here, it may not have been in their repertoire when I got mine. I am sure they are including it in their deliveries now.

Thanks again.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
This has nothing to do with key fob but, who said dealers are starting slow thats a laugh! Not alot of dealers in CT but I think mine was in reverse when I made my purchase. I probably should have walked away. Not that I got a bad deal but knowledge wise no one had a clue! They say you can't fix stupid! I tried dealing with Polaris Corporate and they are no better. They got my money and could care even less. I got rid of a 2012 Honda Goldwing with 7400 miles on it to buy a 2013 CCT brand new. Maybe it wasn't a wise desision! Any input or opinions let me know thanks.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts