Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Decided to get rid of the Scout and upgrade to a 2020 Chieftan a few weeks ago and could not be happier!

So far, I have added the Rush Warhorse exhaust with the 2.25" baffles and the sound is incredible. After the 500 mile inspection, I am considering having the cat removed to reduce some of the heat.

Will removing the cat change the sound drastically? I definitely do not want to change the sound the RWH and 2.25" baffles produce!

Thanks,

Sawacs

·
Founding member
1,517 Posts
I have removed the cat on 2 Chieftains. It change the sound a little, for the better IMO, but very little to be honest. The loss of heat is the greatest benefit. However true duals and a proper tune is the greatest thing you can do to eliminate heat.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I've yet to feel this "heat" that everyone is talking about....

I have the rush warhorse exhaust as well. Sounds AMAZING when you first start it up. Then it just kind of 'goes away'. I'm contemplating ordering the 3" baffles for mine next year. I like the rumble but the sound isn't anywhere near loud.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I definitely felt the heat while riding the bike back from the dealership. Maybe it is something that will lesson after the engine gets broken in.

Regarding the exhaust, they do indeed sound amazing when you start the bike up and also when cruising around town. The part I like is they are not nearly as loud while cruising down the highway until you open the throttle up.

·
Registered
615 Posts
First, thanks for your service. One of the biggest regrets in my life (so far lol!) was not staying in the full 20. I'm an idiot.

I was cruising around in NY in 100 degrees this summer and just never felt the heat that everyone complains about from the cat. The issue has to be there because everyone gripes about it so it's probably just me. I am only looking to 'de-cat' for the sound and weight and possible(?) performance improvement.

My Wife has Reinheart (spelling) exhaust on her Bobber and that's ALL I hear. It's probably why I think the WarHorse exhaust is quiet because her exhaust is so damn loud. It's pretty embarrassing actually. I have to wait for her to start her bike up and then I'll start mine. People look. I'd rather have her bike drown out mine from the get go then start mine and have her bike overwhelm mine, if that makes any sense?

I definitely felt the heat while riding the bike back from the dealership. Maybe it is something that will lesson after the engine gets broken in.

Regarding the exhaust, they do indeed sound amazing when you start the bike up and also when cruising around town. The part I like is they are not nearly as loud while cruising down the highway until you open the throttle up.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I will +1 on both the sound (friend did it and it wasn't a material increase/change in sound) and the heat. Polaris was guilty of negligent heaticide with the Cat on my Roadmaster (especially riding around Atlanta). Losing it was the single best change I've made to the bike.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The main concern I have about removing the cat is loosing some of the deep throaty rumble and adding a higher pitched "tingyness".

·
Registered
64 Posts
First, thanks for your service. One of the biggest regrets in my life (so far lol!) was not staying in the full 20. I'm an idiot.

I was cruising around in NY in 100 degrees this summer and just never felt the heat that everyone complains about from the cat. The issue has to be there because everyone gripes about it so it's probably just me. I am only looking to 'de-cat' for the sound and weight and possible(?) performance improvement.

My Wife has Reinheart (spelling) exhaust on her Bobber and that's ALL I hear. It's probably why I think the WarHorse exhaust is quiet because her exhaust is so damn loud. It's pretty embarrassing actually. I have to wait for her to start her bike up and then I'll start mine. People look. I'd rather have her bike drown out mine from the get go then start mine and have her bike overwhelm mine, if that makes any sense?
I'm in upstate NY. It was definitely a hot summer. Heat doesn't bother me either but it does the passenger. She definitely feels it on that foot. I do notice it however when stopped. I will be going with the fuel moto pipe in the off season.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Try the heat flap from Captain Itch. You have color choices, Rivets, no Rivets, etc. And it sounds like some say the header pipes and a tune from Moto Tune would help. I had mine decatted but it didn't work out they way I liked and had it reverted back to factory. I know others here have had great luck with the decat though. The flap really saves the head.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Chucky, what didn't you like about the decatted pipe?

·
Registered
286 Posts
Here's my take on heat. You have 111cu in or 116 cu in between your legs it realize on convection heat transfer. Air. I have never thought it was bad on 18 cheiftain. Normal I still have cat. When it comes to the crotch cooler ask yourself this. If these retard or slow heat transfer to your leg or body. Where did the heat go....... It's still in cylinder. These things slow air flow there for heat transfer. It's all law of physics

·
Bronze member
2,477 Posts
Would gut my cat again in second. Way less heat.

Reactions: jkl935

·
Super Moderator
4,977 Posts
The main concern I have about removing the cat is loosing some of the deep throaty rumble and adding a higher pitched "tingyness".
There will be a "tinny" type noise until the exhaust system warms up. In these cooler days and winter when I ride, I hear it, but only until the engine and exhaust are up to temperature. No big deal and way better than roasting!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Here's my take on heat. You have 111cu in or 116 cu in between your legs it realize on convection heat transfer. Air. I have never thought it was bad on 18 cheiftain. Normal I still have cat. When it comes to the crotch cooler ask yourself this. If these retard or slow heat transfer to your leg or body. Where did the heat go....... It's still in cylinder. These things slow air flow there for heat transfer. It's all law of physics
Had the Captain Itch thing. Was well made, but agree with this comment, the heat was still bad. Losing the cat via full exhaust was a far better solve. Although it doesn't sound like heat is the material concern.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I actually have the Capt Itch thingy but have yet to put it on the bike and am not sure I ever will.

·
Registered
615 Posts
That seems to be the consensus on this forum; go with the Fuel Moto pipe

There is some other place that takes your pipes and removes the cats for much much cheaper. I can't recall the name of the business right now. Those of us living in the N.E. who can't ride all year round, that might be a cheaper viable alternative - since the bike is going to be mothballed anyway for a few months...

I will be going with the fuel moto pipe in the off season.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts