Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<span>Went to my dealers Indian demo days and rode the chieftain Motor is great with lots of power but it makes so much heat on your leg I do not see how anyone could stand to ride it very long. Transmission is great although when down shifting into second or first there is very little engine braking feels as though is is free wheeling. Dash in the sunlight is very hard to read. Controls which I though would be better since they are integrated into the pod instead of added on like the vision were an ergonomic nightmare I am six foot one with large hand an the control button for the windshield was almost impossible to reach without letting go of the grip and as for coverage it is not much than what you would get with a blade. The test ride deffinantly took the desire for the purchase of an Indian out of the picture.</span>
<span>-----</span>
<span>2009 midnight cherry vision comfort </span>
<span>Intercom,cb,ipod,cruise,trunk rack,gps. custom pinstriping by Jim Hetz</span>

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think that's the first negetive review I've seen on the Chieftain. I guess that's why they make different bikes......different strokes for different folks.
Here's a question for anyone who can answer. How different can the same model of any manufacturer be. For example, did anyone take multiple demo rides on a few different Chieftains and find them to be different? I would assume the same model would feel exactly the same since they are built on an assembly line. However, one may have an out of balance tire, or could the engine be slightly stronger on one compared to the other?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
9463 said:
<span>Went to my dealers Indian demo days and rode the chieftain Motor is great with lots of power but it makes so much heat on your leg I do not see how anyone could stand to ride it very long. Transmission is great although when down shifting into second or first there is very little engine braking feels as though is is free wheeling. Dash in the sunlight is very hard to read. Controls which I though would be better since they are integrated into the pod instead of added on like the vision were an ergonomic nightmare I am six foot one with large hand an the control button for the windshield was almost impossible to reach without letting go of the grip and as for coverage it is not much than what you would get with a blade. The test ride deffinantly took the desire for the purchase of an Indian out of the picture.</span>
<span>-----</span>
<span>2009 midnight cherry vision comfort </span>
<span>Intercom,cb,ipod,cruise,trunk rack,gps. custom pinstriping by Jim Hetz</span>
I rode a few Chieftains, there is a taller w/shield that works great. Yes the engine throws a lot of heat and the dash display is impossible to read in direct sunlight, especially with dark glasses on. I was considering one until I rode my XC home, the XC ergonomics fit me better and the motor has more horsepower/revs better. I do have cams but even the stock Vics have more horsepower. The Indian motor just hits a wall after 4000 rpm's, great torque but it's all over after the initial punch. The Indians are very SMOOTH and impressive, just depends on what you like.

·
Registered
384 Posts
diversity is good but I believe you fit the bike over time and idiosyncrasies become like your wife. You learn to adapt or get separated. Be glad you didn't buy one first.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts