Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone weigh in on differences in the ride/handling of the 2016 Chief Vintage vs a 2018 Chieftain?

I owned a Chieftain in the past and am considering doing a fly and ride for a Chief Vintage in Northern Cal and riding back home with a buddy. Just got the call from a buddy today who is picking up a bike early next week in Reno. Certainly can’t let him ride alone! And I need an Indian back in the stable again.

I loved the low center of gravity on the Chieftain and it really felt lighter than it was. Curious how similar the Chief is since I assume it’s on the same frame with the same motor.

Only thing I did NOT like on the Chieftain was buffeting. Assuming I’ll probably have the same issue on the Chief.

Love your feedback!

·
Registered
54 Posts
The rake between the two is different and the handling on the chieftain is actually a bit better than the vintage. It's only about 2 degrees different so not that big of a deal but break to break you notice it a bit. Other than that there isn't really any noticable difference in riding characteristics.

Both are super enjoyable.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Early Joiner
177 Posts
It depends on the year. In 2020 they are using the same rake. I’ve owned both plus a Springfield and there is a noticeable difference between a Vintage and the touring bikes.

·
Bronze member
1,708 Posts
The vintage just requires a tad more effort in spirited riding conditions and you have to be aware of your turning radius. I haven't done the math on a u-turn circle, but it definitely takes more effort and space to maneuver the vintage in tight situations. Other than that, the highway cruise is great and it can even handle the twisties, you just need to know the differences and ride that way.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts