Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Anyone else get this email?http://cdn.polarisindustries.com/EMAIL/ind/my15/misc/IND_140905_ChieftainUpfitGuide.pdf?WT.mc_id=For a measly $3500, I can put the entire trunk/backrest/speaker/etc kit on my Chieftain.Maybe a little steep for this old man...
Nope but I received a snail mail that tells me that I can trade in my Chieftain after 24 months but before 60 month and am trade in confidence upto a max of $5K. If my bike is worth more than 5K then the benefit is zero. Not sure I see much benefit in this benefit.

Semper Fi,
DrZ

·
Registered
1 Posts
I also received the upfit guide and had already went to the local dealer for pricing on the trunk. Not very happy with the price of accessories or dealer markup. Its will cost $8000 to get items that come on the Roadmaster for only $4000 more. My Chieftain is in perfect shape with 6000 miles and they offered $14000.00 on it. I am not proud of the way they treat the people who jumped out early to support the unknown product. If you can buy a Roadmaster for $4000 more why are the standard accessories 3 times as much to purchase?

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
DrZ It says on Indians web site I copied it. Buy a new 2014 Indian Chief with the total confidence that comes from guaranteed trade-in values. Two years after purchase, owners can bank on a guaranteed trade-in value of 70 percent of original MSRP, and 60 percent trade-in value after three years. This is for all three models

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
So its worth to keep it another year. I bought mine i love it. If i wanted a full touring I would have bought a new harley. I am looking at the bright side i love the bike And in 2 years we will have even better choices with a 70% trade in value.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Anyone else get this email?http://cdn.polarisindustries.com/EMAIL/ind/my15/misc/IND_140905_ChieftainUpfitGuide.pdf?WT.mc_id=For a measly $3500, I can put the entire trunk/backrest/speaker/etc kit on my Chieftain.Maybe a little steep for this old man...
It is a bit pricey for sure, but I went ahead and ordered it. It's been a few weeks now, trunk has been in, but not the backrest and a few other goodies. I am looking forward to the storage - great for those longer trips.

Cheers........ Tony

·
Registered
196 Posts
I have two Harley leather tour packs and I think I'll use one of them. I love the bike and the ride, but I don't feel like spending 3K to achieve an $800.00 task. I'll probably buy the base and retrofit it to a Roadking bag. I have no issue with an Indian power plant carrying a Harley logo around for all to see. When Indian comes out of the clouds and back to earth they might remember to dance with the boy who brought them to the prom. I don't mind getting a little screwed in the name of profit, but financial gang rape is out of the question.

·
Distinguished Founding Member
5,337 Posts
Definitely has me rethinking might be better off with the Roadmaster to begin with at these kind of prices .. Not doing the compare up thing but the Trunk for the Victory Cross Country is 1800.00 and that includes the Wiring Harness, Speakers and Mounts right up and Plugs right in ..

·
Registered
2 Posts
Kinda gets me re-thinking the whole "buy Indian" thing. I really like them but anything additional costs an arm and a leg and only have one left.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
DrZ, can you explain that in layman terms?If I trade in my bike before five years, it's worth $5000?
Harpas7 explained it pretty well. If your bike is in good condition and they look at the NADA value and give you an offer to purchase a new Indian....in 2 years....if you don't get at least 70% of the purchase cost...the benefit can throw in an up to an additional $5K to make up the difference. It is a decreasing amount. 60% in 3 years + up to 5K and so on. If you are offered more than NADA says due to the condition of your bike.....the $5K disappears and you get 'nada' for a benefit.

When you get and read through the letter.... do it about 3 times to catch all the statements. Indian really needs to find someone who can speak human instead of 'legalese.'

Semper Fi,
DrZ

·
Registered
321 Posts
Dr.Z Semper Fi,

Nope but I received a snail mail that tells me that I can trade in my Chieftain after 24 months but before 60 month and am trade in confidence upto a max of $5K. If my bike is worth more than 5K then the benefit is zero. Not sure I see much benefit in this benefit.

Semper Fi,
DrZ
Fellow brother here.Class of Sept.70' Plt.1007.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Fellow brother here.Class of Sept.70' Plt.1007.
Semper Fi my brother.
A bit earlier than you.... graduated in 69 but still remembering all the lessons.
Not that my memory is that good anymore....but I tended to piss off the DI a bit too much!

Semper Fi,
DrZ

·
Registered
506 Posts
Get the Roadmaster, then you can always take off tour pak since it does disconnect.

·
Rider
1,101 Posts
Interesting to note that Polaris/Indian had originally developed the Roadmaster concept while developing the initial line of Indian bikes. Really cannot believe the cost of the trunk as well for my Chieftain. For my R1200RT BMW has a 49 liter trunk that runs about $923 and the 49 liter trunk with the LED brake light for the K1600 GT is about $1,800. And this is for German made items. I am currently using the Givi E55 which is a 55 liter trunk on the RT with an LED brakelight and that was around $450 with a painted lid.
Yes the Indian trunk is bigger than the BMW ones but I doubt I'll be springing that kind of cash for a new trunk. I'll be looking for one on E-bay or Craigslist as the Roadmaster bikes get bought and ridden.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts