Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was pretty mad when after ordering a trunk and waiting more than 2 months without it showing up. Then I heard that the complete item would be at least $3k. The trunk might only be $1800 but there is hardware that is $500 and a wiring harness that I have heard several prices on. It just seemed that Indians prices are getting out of hand, plus they decided to give everything to the Roadmaster rather than deliver to existing customers.

So I decided to make my own trunk for the Indian. Just didn't know if anyone else cared or wanted to pay the prices at Indian. Here are the photos.

I used a Thunder Manufacturing Base which was about $300. I bought on ebay the Indian head conches for $10. Then I bought a Harley Leather Trunk which can costs from $300 - $650 if you get one off ebay or decide to go new.

I think it looks perfect.

IMG_8926.JPG
IMG_8933.JPG
IMG_8938.PNG

·
Premium Member
2,836 Posts
Nicely done, looks good

·
Founding member
736 Posts
Scott,
I had that same trunk on my Road King. Good useful easy storage. Looks fantastic.
Could you please post a picture with someone sitting on the back? Have you ridden with a passenger? I need it for my wife to ride along.
I think the bottom of the trunk should be even with the top of the seat.
Thanks
Tom

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have a Mustang Trunk with Thunder Mfg luggage rack.;)
1002.jpg 1004.jpg

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Scott i agree the Indian trunk is an expensive accessory and you have done an excellent job with yours. I hope to do the same. Although my trunk needs to be colour matched before i can finish it. Ride safe and enjoy!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Scott,
I had that same trunk on my Road King. Good useful easy storage. Looks fantastic.
Could you please post a picture with someone sitting on the back? Have you ridden with a passenger? I need it for my wife to ride along.
I think the bottom of the trunk should be even with the top of the seat.
Thanks
Tom
Sorry I don't ever ride with anyone. My girlfriend rides her own :) But I don't think the trunk needs to be the same hight, it works when I sit on it.

·
Distinguished Founding Member
5,337 Posts
Nicely Done Bags .. Good way to save some Money with a little bit of work .. Beginning to think might be better off with the Roadmaster to start with if want all the Goodies rather than add on with a Chieftain ..

·
Registered
796 Posts
I was pretty mad when after ordering a trunk and waiting more than 2 months without it showing up. Then I heard that the complete item would be at least $3k. The trunk might only be $1800 but there is hardware that is $500 and a wiring harness that I have heard several prices on. It just seemed that Indians prices are getting out of hand, plus they decided to give everything to the Roadmaster rather than deliver to existing customers.

So I decided to make my own trunk for the Indian. Just didn't know if anyone else cared or wanted to pay the prices at Indian. Here are the photos.

I used a Thunder Manufacturing Base which was about $300. I bought on ebay the Indian head conches for $10. Then I bought a Harley Leather Trunk which can costs from $300 - $650 if you get one off ebay or decide to go new.

View attachment 3437 View attachment 3438 View attachment 3439

·
Registered
796 Posts
Nice looking trunk ,I my look at one for myself this winter .Would like to see a pic of the rack from Thunder Manufacturing . I feel the same way about the cost of the oem trunk, seems like Polaris is not treating the first yr buyers very well with the high price for accessories. There is other options out there which you have done well searching out.

·
Distinguished Founding Member
5,337 Posts
Polaris Accessories are high no matter what you ride .. including their ATV's ..

·
Registered
89 Posts
That is very nice. How much did the trunk cost?
Mustang trunk with studs was $620 at e-bay (New in Box). Thunder Rack with Chrome was $430. but cost me extra $150 shipping fee to Japan.:eek:

·
Registered
9 Posts

lol I hear you $3000.00 is crazy....they lowballed me on my trade in (victory cross country) so I pulled the trunk off it and now it sits on my chieftain and looks awesome. 20150903_131751.jpg 20150903_131835 (1).jpg

·
Registered
54 Posts

Does this lid have a lock on it?

·
Registered
796 Posts
What trunk is that?
I bought a 2015 Harley limited tour pack back rest and inside liner new and painted it myself.
The Indian tour pack is 2900 cu inch. The harley tour pack is 5800 cu inch . I also used a Thunder Manufacturing rear rack. I personally like the look of the rear tour pack on my bike , most people had to take a second look but said it looks good. I put it on last spring of 2016 and now have 160,000 kms .[ I have ridden 38,000 kms since July I 2017 and no problem with the tour pack and the trunk on top which has had 40 lbs on some trips . Bike is a 2014 Chieftain . Good luck with your tour pack search . Nice bike by the way ATTACH=full]340065[/ATTACH]

Attachments

1 - 20 of 27 Posts