Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone installed a trailer hitch on their Chieftain? If so where did you find one. I checked with HitchDoc.com and although they list hitches for Victorys and 02-03 Indians, I didn't find one for the new 2014.

·
Registered
5 Posts
When I was at Sturgis on the owners ride they had a rep from Indian their asking what our opinions about the bikes and what we want accessories etc .I asked about a hitch he said they are coming out with one soon also they are very close to coming out with a fix for the dashboard to be able to see it better in sunlight .

·
Registered
311 Posts
bushtec has a hitch ready just weighting on wiring harness

Update: bushtec taking orders wiring is being manufactured. put your orders in people!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Has anyone actually PURCHASED and installed a trailer hitch for the Chieftain yet? If so, how is the trailering with the Chieftain? I hope to find out soon, as I'm considering a camp trailer setup for a trip to Alaska this summer.

·
Registered
7,995 Posts
I purchased a hitch and wiring harness from Bushtec and will install them on my Chieftain within the next two weeks once I have a break from work.

Bushtec designed these specifically for the 2014 and 2015 Chieftain and Chief models per Jason with Bushtec.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Has anyone installed a trailer hitch on their Chieftain? If so where did you find one. I checked with HitchDoc.com and although they list hitches for Victorys and 02-03 Indians, I didn't find one for the new 2014.
I know that Bushtec makes them.

·
Registered
7,995 Posts
Well, the hitch and wiring harness is now installed, nothing to really show with a picture since it is a receiver type and hidden under the rear fender.

---
Texas Hill Country - Wimberley
2015 Blue and Ivory Chieftain

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Well, the hitch and wiring harness is now installed, nothing to really show with a picture since it is a receiver type and hidden under the rear fender.

---
Texas Hill Country - Wimberley
2015 Blue and Ivory Chieftain
Any way to take a picture of it any way ?

·
Original member / Distinguished
5,868 Posts
Probably look similar to this one.

I hope it's heavier than that. That thing doesn't look like it would stand up to a flag mount welded on to fly two 3x5's. I was hoping a trailer hitch is just what I'd need but I'm not so sure about that one.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
I don't think they are designed for medium/large flapping flags, just lightweight trailers carrying lightweight loads.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Yep too light for me..... I just want to run one 3x5.... and again I would like to see what it looks like mounted.

·
Super Moderator
5,884 Posts
I hope it's heavier than that. That thing doesn't look like it would stand up to a flag mount welded on to fly two 3x5's. I was hoping a trailer hitch is just what I'd need but I'm not so sure about that one.
Hey injunCowboy . . . do you ride solo or two up? If solo, considered using the rear bag guard mounting points for two flag holders? I'm looking into that for RTW in May.

·
Original member / Distinguished
5,868 Posts
Hey injunCowboy . . . do you ride solo or two up? If solo, considered using the rear bag guard mounting points for two flag holders? I'm looking into that for RTW in May.
I do ride solo but never saw a mount that wouldn't get in my way. Especially throwing my foot over the seat. Being way back at the tail has worked out great(on my Harley). So does someone make a saddle bag guard flag mount for Indian? Right now I'm still on a Harley and Rivco makes one for it. I've not seen where they have a mount for Indian. The mount they do have for Harley is indeed off the saddle bag guard mounts. There are two attachment points. I'm preparing for a Roadmaster in the future. If that mount would work between the two, that would be great. I'm assuming you are suggesting something that would mount on just one single attachment point per side per flag. What would keep it from rotating? I can see it's possible but having a little trouble with total support. The only guard I've seen on a Indian is toward the front of the bags and has nothing that I can see to keep a mount from rotating. I may be way off here so clarify please.

·
Super Moderator
5,884 Posts
InjunCowboy. Apparently you have thought it out more than I have. Haven't tried engineering anything or re-purposing current bars, so you're ahead of me.

Rivco is a supporting member here. Post a question on there thread. Maybe they can prototype something for you - I'm sure will want the same, including me.

My thoughts were toward PVC piping (plugged at bottom) clamped to the aft side of the bar. Wouold have to step over the seat to mount cycle, but I do that anyway with a rider backrest on it. Alternatively, one could purpose-build a special mount to replace the bars, two-point attachment each side. Just thinking out loud here . . . .

·
Registered
7,995 Posts
I bought a Bustech Trailer Hitch and a Bustech Plug and Play wiring harness for my 2015 Chieftain. It is easy to install. Now if you need to have a 5 into 4 adapter to make it work with your type of trailer as I did, make sure to have them to include that in the wiring harness package. Nice and high quality package. They have a hitch and wiring kit made just for the 2014 and up Indians.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I bought a Bustech Trailer Hitch and a Bustech Plug and Play wiring harness for my 2015 Chieftain. It is easy to install. Now if you need to have a 5 into 4 adapter to make it work with your type of trailer as I did, make sure to have them to include that in the wiring harness package. Nice and high quality package. They have a hitch and wiring kit made just for the 2014 and up Indians.
You threw no codes on the bike with the trailer hooked up to the hitch? A sales guy at the Indian dealership said there were still issues with the CAN BUS freaking out over the different amperage draw of the trailer lights.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts