Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am a desert southwest rider where the air is dry and the distances are far. I have a 15 Chieftain with E3's. Wanting to go to E4's but the whole of the USA is out of stock on the front. Without jokes and drama.....who might suggest a good handling/gripping tire that is good for only an occasional rainstorm?

·
Bronze member
2,002 Posts
Am a desert southwest rider where the air is dry and the distances are far. I have a 15 Chieftain with E3's. Wanting to go to E4's but the whole of the USA is out of stock on the front. Without jokes and drama.....who might suggest a good handling/gripping tire that is good for only an occasional rainstorm?
Got about 400 miles on my Cruiztecs 15 Chieftain also, and if I dident like them id say so. But I loveum!! Takes handiling to the next level period.....havent been in rain yet but dont see a problem there.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Got about 400 miles on my Cruiztecs 15 Chieftain also, and if I dident like them id say so. But I loveum!! Takes handiling to the next level period.....havent been in rain yet but dont see a problem there.
ive had them on my scout for about 3000 miles now and i can say they dont give a damn about rain. not to mention the traction wet or dry is just insane

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
I have had Metzler Cruzetecs on my '17 RM for most of last season, and ridden in the rain in the Alps on them. I won't run anything else.

Reactions: Jay Gustafson17

·
Bronze member
1,313 Posts
Oddly enough, I have never encountered any issues or complaints with my American Elites, even when I'm loaded down on a 7,000 mile trip.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I tossed my e3 at 9500 miles. Garbage tire as far as traction plus it’s noise and rides hard. E4 I’m very impressed with so far. Rides better and sticks way better especially in the rain.

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
When riding in wet weather,common sense should prevail,no matter what tire you're using!!
True, but different tires have different characteristics. For example, while making a left turn into an intersection from a stop, and using moderate throttle, my rear wheel skidded out to the side. Fortunately, I was able to keep the bike upright. This was on a wet day...light rain off-and-on, but not constantly raining, and with the stock Dunlop tires. After I installed the Metzler Cruisetechs, and riding in the same conditions, the skid did not repeat itself.

Reactions: Jay Gustafson17

·
Bronze member
3,074 Posts
I got some news for ya! No matter what tire you are using on your bike,if the roads are wet,OR,if it's a hot day with the sun shining,[which brings the oil in the hot top to the surface of the road] or,another vehicle had an oil,gas,or anti freeze leak which spilled on to the surface of that hot top,then that roads' surface will be slippery and CAN and WILL cause a spill if the operator of the motorcycle is NOT PAYING ATTTENTION.Over the years,I've seen a lot of guys go down due to those conditions and even almost went down once myself due to those conditions.So now I have learned to pay particular attention to the roads' surface when on two wheels,where before,and like everyone else,just took it for granted.Dave!!!

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
I got some news for ya! No matter what tire you are using on your bike,if the roads are wet,OR,if it's a hot day with the sun shining,[which brings the oil in the hot top to the surface of the road] or,another vehicle had an oil,gas,or anti freeze leak which spilled on to the surface of that hot top,then that roads' surface will be slippery and CAN and WILL cause a spill if the operator of the motorcycle is NOT PAYING ATTTENTION.Over the years,I've seen a lot of guys go down due to those conditions and even almost went down once myself due to those conditions.So now I have learned to pay particular attention to the roads' surface when on two wheels,where before,and like everyone else,just took it for granted.Dave!!!
There is a difference between not paying attention and thus not altering your riding style to match the road conditions and thus expierencing slipping or sliding, and altering your riding style to the road conditions and still experiencing slipping/sliding that is alleviated by changing the brand/style of tire that you are running. In my example that I cited above, I was at a dead stop, turning left, giving the bike just enough throttle to get moving WHILE utilizing the friction zone, and I still had the rear wheel slip out from under me. AFTER I changed from the stock tire to the Metzlers, and making the SAME type of turn, in the SAME type of conditions, and using the SAME (or similar) throttle/clutch combination, I experienced NO slippage from the rear tire. Yes, it is necessary to alter your riding style to the conditions, but sometimes the equipment that you are using is not up to the conditions.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I to recently got tires elite 4 ,had the same problem could find rear tire but not front , luckily witchdoctor had a front, might want to try them if still interested in elite 4

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
If E4’s are not avlbl then Michelin Commanders (2 or 3) are a good option. I had the Mic 2’s but preferred my E4’s (now on my third set).
I’m with you, I take the the E4 over commanders any day. Of everything there is good to say about a tire commanders win in mileage. E4 a step up in everything else IMO yourself and Larry S turned me on to them a great choice

·
Registered
25 Posts
After reading the comments in this post, and shopping for tires (which was hard finding a set) I’m going with the Cruisetechs. Picking them up today, will chime in on how they ride

·
Registered
25 Posts
Okay, I don’t know if the tires that came on the bike where around mid life or if the cruisetechs are that good. But theses tires really hug in the corners, you really feel comfortable in the corners. Will let you know about wet traction next time I’m on wet roads

1 - 20 of 21 Posts