Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone upgraded their stock clutch cable to the after market stainless steel one?

if so can you please tell me where you got it from i dont know who makes the cable, also is there a reason to go with the 6" over stock length?

Thanks
Michael

·
Registered
8,005 Posts
Has anyone upgraded their stock clutch cable to the after market stainless steel one?

if so can you please tell me where you got it from i dont know who makes the cable, also is there a reason to go with the 6" over stock length?

Thanks
Michael
The reason you'd want to go over stock is if you are changing out the handlebars to something higher the factory, therefore needing the added length.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The reason you'd want to go over stock is if you are changing out the handlebars to something higher the factory, therefore needing the added length.
Thanks that makes sense. I appreciate the feedback. I will order my cable tonight.

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
255 Posts
Do yourself a favor when replacing the clutch cable cut the old in two to remove it and run the new one on the outside of the frame and not thru the exceptionally small hole the original in routed through.

Rawhide

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Any pros or cons over the factory clutch cable?

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
Word on the street the stock ones are substandard and end up breaking on you .. from the stories I have read people buy the stainless upgraded cable. Install it, and keep the stock in their bags for an emergency replacement while on long trips.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Do yourself a favor when replacing the clutch cable cut the old in two to remove it and run the new one on the outside of the frame and not thru the exceptionally small hole the original in routed through.

Rawhide
Well the plan is to keep the stock as an emergency cable for long trips. However I appreciate your tip on the small hole it may be worth modifying the hole while I'm doing this. If not maybe at least putting the new one outside the frame as you stated.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Check out where the stock cable runs behind the frame and under the engine. I don’t see a way to modify the opening.
When I replaced mine I ran it using the original path. It required loosening the fame while supporting the engine etc,etc, it was a royal pain.
My friend did his in about 30 minutes all in, routing it outside the frame.

Rawhide

·
Registered
946 Posts
Check out where the stock cable runs behind the frame and under the engine. I don’t see a way to modify the opening.
When I replaced mine I ran it using the original path. It required loosening the fame while supporting the engine etc,etc, it was a royal pain.
My friend did his in about 30 minutes all in, routing it outside the frame.

Rawhide
How many miles you had on the bike when you replaced the factory cable ? Did it break or you just wanted to replace it ?
Thanks

·
Rider
877 Posts
At the 45K service I had recently done I bought the standard length Barnett cable but used the black one versus the stainless steel one. Dealer charged 1/2 hour labor to install. Definitely a better difference in the pull required to actuate the clutch. I also bought a Sav-U Ride Emergency Clutch Cable Repair kit as a back up.

·
Bronze member
1,929 Posts
I have 30k miles on my RM and the stock clutch cable shows no sign of wear - not even one frayed strand.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I wonder if one can even see the wear? I read some horror stories where clutch cables broke at the worst possible time! Has any one checked and found that I need to change this cable? Are you even able to see the possible failure?

·
Registered
144 Posts
I wonder if one can even see the wear? I read some horror stories where clutch cables broke at the worst possible time! Has any one checked and found that I need to change this cable? Are you even able to see the possible failure?
I had 23000 miles on mine and it broke 1200 miles from home in heavy traffic!

·
Bronze member
2,126 Posts
And then there’s the guys on here who grease the ends every oil change and have have 80 to 100,000 miles on their cables. Just sayin shit I think larry s is on his 2nd cable at 275,000 lol

1 - 17 of 17 Posts