Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone else dissatisfied with the seat on the bike? I find it too far forward ( 6' 3" ) and quite hard. I love my bike but the seat does not appear to be up to Indian quality!
Is there a way to move it back? Just a thought.

·
Founding member
2,280 Posts
Two options: a) third-party seats (Corbin & Mustang are the most common, although Ultimate is also working on an Indian seat) and b) have your existing seat re-made by a company that modifies seats.

I've got the Corbin and it adds about 1.5-2" back and sits about 0.5" higher. I'm 6'4" and appreciate the added room. But you also referenced the OEM as "quite hard" and the Corbin is also a relatively hard, but comfortable after break-in, seat. The Ultimate is very soft (had one on my previous bike), but I don't know about the room.

·
Bronze member
2,570 Posts
There is also a kit that lowers, and moves forward, your front floor boards. There is lots of information in these forums about this.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
Indians. LOTS of Indians
3,967 Posts
Is anyone else dissatisfied with the seat on the bike? I find it too far forward ( 6' 3" ) and quite hard. I love my bike but the seat does not appear to be up to Indian quality!
Is there a way to move it back? Just a thought.
what everyone else said.. mustang/corbin, and lower the boards ( I'm 6'4 ). I also changed out the bars.

BUT.. make sure you understand all the implications. If you have an OEM passenger backrest, verify they work together. Not all options do. If you like to lean hard and fast and scrape boards... common sense says lowering the boards has obvious implications ... I've got them on my darkhorse and .. .livable.

·
Senior member / silver
3,453 Posts
I'm 6'1" and it doesn't seem to bother me at all. I would like to try a 3rd party seat sometime though. Getting the right seat can be tricky, expensive, and time consuming though but if stock isn't working for you then it's well worth the time and effort to get it right.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It is frustrating that when you spend 30+ thousand (Canadian), on a bike, we have to deal with issues such as this.
Easy during design to make the seat adjustable , within reason. The dealer could also buy back the OEM seat when new, at purchase, to allow the consumer to purchase an aftermarket seat.
I need to start a bike shop ...................:confused:

·
Founding member
2,280 Posts
I agree with the adjustable seat concept - some bikes have it. But I don't see a dealer (they are independently owned) buy back an OEM seat when Indian is going to send every bike with its own OEM seat? The logistics of sending the seats back to the manufacturer (and possible legal issues of being considered "used") would make this option very difficult.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
I went with the mustang and it seems to work well with the back rest. The oem passenger backrest fits just the same and looks reasonable close. Since I am only 5 9 I am waiting for klockwerks bars to go up two inches and back two inches...

·
Registered
794 Posts
I am fortunate, at 5'8" the seat suits me well. I've done 500 plus mile days with no issue. My previous bike was a Honda and I was hurting after 250 miles. My wife had the same bike with no problems. Everyone is unique and one size does not fit all!

·
Founding member / distinguished
2,873 Posts
@Ghagar, I had similar problems with the stock seat. I'm 6'3", 210 lbs. After about 20 minutes, I started getting uncomfortable, after an hour I was miserable. Mean City Cycles rebuilt the seat twice, but could not get it to my liking because I needed to move back.
The Mustang accomplished that and I am much more comfortable now.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I need the support under my legs, or more support ... My seat was sent to Russell Day-Long. I have had their seat on two previous bikes and rode 1500 mile and 1000 mile Iron Butt Rides with no issue at all. It should be back right after Thanksgiving and I will post pictures then.

·
Registered
796 Posts
I installed a mustang on my 2014 Chieftain at 6'6'' it set me back about 1.5". made a world of difference for me traveling , as now I can do 1000 miles a day with NO PAIN. logged 50,000 this summer mid July to the end of Sept.

·
Gold Supporting Member
3,248 Posts
Yup...I'm sporting a Corbin Solo saddle and Standard Backrest. Much roomier...just give it a while to break in. I've got about 2K on mine and it's just getting comfortable.

·
Registered
7,995 Posts
I am fortunate, at 5'8" the seat suits me well. I've done 500 plus mile days with no issue. My previous bike was a Honda and I was hurting after 250 miles. My wife had the same bike with no problems. Everyone is unique and one size does not fit all!
Same, I am 5'9 and the stock seat is great for me, over 12,000 miles on the bike in 10 months and a couple thousand miles of that was on a 8 day trip to the Rockies and back from the Texas Hill Country.

--------> --------> -------->

Live Free and Die Well

·
Registered
72 Posts
STOCK SEAT SUCKS! The Mustang does a fine job and is approx. 1.5'' back. Before we changed seats, after 35 miles the back side was screaming. Love the Mustangs.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
@Ghagar, I had similar problems with the stock seat. I'm 6'3", 210 lbs. After about 20 minutes, I started getting uncomfortable, after an hour I was miserable. Mean City Cycles rebuilt the seat twice, but could not get it to my liking because I needed to move back.
The Mustang accomplished that and I am much more comfortable now.
Dan, Sounds like I should be looking into the Mustang seat. Had one on my Road Star and it did make a world of difference !
Just so expensive In Canada.... shipping, duty ...... yuk !

·
Founding member
2,280 Posts
You might give Ultimate Seats a call and see how things are progressing with an Indian seat. I believe Ultimate is a Canadian company (with US distribution), so they might be a more cost-effective option ... if they're close to releasing an Indian design. They might also be able to tell you how their design positions the seating dimensions.
Ultimate Motorcycle Seats

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just made a new bracket (2) for stock seat. Moved the seat back 1.5" and up .5". Had to enlarge hole for top of air intake for shock a bit. Used the black fringe from back of seat to place around gap in front near tank just to see. It will work! Need to purchase some matching vinyl or leather to replace the fringe. It was good exercise. It does feel better and it is ride able. Backrest fits as well. Off to the local bike shop to see about a new seat $$$$$$.

·
Registered
7,995 Posts
Just made a new bracket (2) for stock seat. Moved the seat back 1.5" and up .5". Had to enlarge hole for top of air intake for shock a bit. Used the black fringe from back of seat to place around gap in front near tank just to see. It will work! Need to purchase some matching vinyl or leather to replace the fringe. It was good exercise. It does feel better and it is ride able. Backrest fits as well. Off to the local bike shop to see about a new seat $$$$$$.
Where are the pics???

--------> --------> -------->

Live Free and Die Well

1 - 20 of 75 Posts