Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

Chieftain Saddlebag Side Rails

10K views 38 replies 11 participants last post by  NSRStar 
#1 ·
Has anyone installed the chrome side rails on the Chieftain saddlebags? It looks like some drilling is involved, and I am curious what the instructions say for the procedure.

#5 ·
Thanks guys. The last time I drilled holes in saddlebags for chrome accessories was on my Yamaha Royal Star. I installed chrome rails on the bag lids. After a period of time, there would be spider web cracks coming from where the holes were drilled. I even chamfered to holes before attaching the chrome rails. I know the Indian bag rails mount from underneath, but don't want to create any spreading stress cracks.

#7 ·
Be careful if you mount the racks on saddle bag lids ,as the marks on the underside do not line up exact with the vertical section of the rack 100 persent,my be better to mark from the top using masking tape then drill,just my 2 cents.The rails fit no problem

#11 ·
"I would like to buy and install before i die."

Then get plenty of sleep, take your vitamins, and eat your vegetables. I just installed the Aeromach heel shift lever. Very nice piece of goods with a great chrome finish. I still think Kuryakyn will be first with a rail alternative.

#14 ·
Cool rosen39!
I received my Aeromach heel shifter about a month ago. Been too cold here to install it. Did you have any issues with the install? Just wondering. I see the instructions identify adding spacers as provided. Sire looks like a solid accessory!

#17 ·
You will need metric allen sockets and a 12" extendion bar to remove the two bolts holding the left side floor board on. Before doing that, you will need to remove the bolt holding the shift linkage to the lever. Start removing that bolt with a box wrench, then you will have to use an open end wrench because of clearance to the frame. I installed my heel lever while the floorboard was off. I could then torque the bolts down easily. There is a little "up and down" play in the bottom bolt for the heel lever. The instructions tell you to pull the lever up before tightening. Use the new bolts and spacers to re-install the floorboard and torque down. Someone did a write up under another thread. Mine did not require adjustment after the install. They want you to roll the bike and shift gears to make sure the heel lever does not hit the floorboard when pushing down on it.

#23 ·
I've chromed most add on's available.....but, definitely gonna wait for something better to protect bags.....$400 is just stiff for so little protection. My dealer confirmed yesterday that we are about one year away from a big increased vendor accessories for the Indian line.

#24 ·
Had the Dealership's Service Department install mine, sure need to protect these expensive bags from impacts as much as possible.

If you are installing your own, I do agree that you need to use Painter's Blue Tape and put plenty of it on the bag before drilling to protect the bag once you start drilling, all should go well as it appears from these forum post.
Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Car

#25 ·
Had the Dealership's Service Department install mine, sure need to protect these expensive bags from impacts as much as possible.

If you are installing your own, I do agree that you need to use Painter's Blue Tape and put plenty of it on the bag before drilling to protect the bag once you start drilling, all should go well as it appears from these forum post. View attachment 5216
I have very sharp snap on drill bits. Slow speed no damage without tape. btw the two tone is very sharp. Mine is 14 Springfield blue. It is a keeper though

#27 ·
Yes Vlad. You were from the North Shore?

Got a Goldwing after the Royal Star, but only kept that for about 4 years. Did not like the handling around town. On the highway it was great. Now have the Indian, and it will probably be my last bike.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.