Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed the chrome side rails on the Chieftain saddlebags? It looks like some drilling is involved, and I am curious what the instructions say for the procedure.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Yup dealer says the lids are pre marked. Just gotta stick a drill bit in and pull the trigger! Im hoping to pick up a set in early spring.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Has anyone installed the chrome side rails on the Chieftain saddlebags? It looks like some drilling is involved, and I am curious what the instructions say for the procedure.
Very easy install. Hardest part is protecting the bags from scratches.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. The last time I drilled holes in saddlebags for chrome accessories was on my Yamaha Royal Star. I installed chrome rails on the bag lids. After a period of time, there would be spider web cracks coming from where the holes were drilled. I even chamfered to holes before attaching the chrome rails. I know the Indian bag rails mount from underneath, but don't want to create any spreading stress cracks.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Be careful if you mount the racks on saddle bag lids ,as the marks on the underside do not line up exact with the vertical section of the rack 100 persent,my be better to mark from the top using masking tape then drill,just my 2 cents.The rails fit no problem

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As nice as the lid racks look, I don't think I'll do them. I like the side rails, but $400 is steep. Maybe some aftermarket company (Kuryakyn) might come out with an alternative.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
As nice as the lid racks look, I don't think I'll do them. I like the side rails, but $400 is steep. Maybe some aftermarket company (Kuryakyn) might come out with an alternative.
I am waiting for aftermarket lid protectors. the Indian ones look like a top hat. Way out of place

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Dwarf again i agree, however i wonder when we can expect the aftermarket parts to be available? I would like to buy and install before i die. Lol

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
"I would like to buy and install before i die."

Then get plenty of sleep, take your vitamins, and eat your vegetables. I just installed the Aeromach heel shift lever. Very nice piece of goods with a great chrome finish. I still think Kuryakyn will be first with a rail alternative.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Cool rosen39!
I received my Aeromach heel shifter about a month ago. Been too cold here to install it. Did you have any issues with the install? Just wondering. I see the instructions identify adding spacers as provided. Sire looks like a solid accessory!

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Cool rosen39!
I received my Aeromach heel shifter about a month ago. Been too cold here to install it. Did you have any issues with the install? Just wondering. I see the instructions identify adding spacers as provided. Sire looks like a solid accessory!
Very easy to install. The only difficult part is adjusting the height, you have to ride it to get it where you like it.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You will need metric allen sockets and a 12" extendion bar to remove the two bolts holding the left side floor board on. Before doing that, you will need to remove the bolt holding the shift linkage to the lever. Start removing that bolt with a box wrench, then you will have to use an open end wrench because of clearance to the frame. I installed my heel lever while the floorboard was off. I could then torque the bolts down easily. There is a little "up and down" play in the bottom bolt for the heel lever. The instructions tell you to pull the lever up before tightening. Use the new bolts and spacers to re-install the floorboard and torque down. Someone did a write up under another thread. Mine did not require adjustment after the install. They want you to roll the bike and shift gears to make sure the heel lever does not hit the floorboard when pushing down on it.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Pre recessed holes for side rails and a sharp drill bit should eliminate spider cracks. Easy install and look good. I also installed front bumper and the lines on those two options on the bike really look good in my opinion.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts