Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Very nice bike. The engine is amazing, very smooth and quiet (no clunking into gear like my Vics) and very powerful. The overall fit and finish is excellent, although the paint didn't have much depth (maybe as these are pre-production demos that haven't been polished in awhile or ever). The other exceptions to the excellent fit & finish were 1) the adjustable wind screen was flimsy and mine rattled like crazy, and 2) the inner fairing as it didn't align very well with the outer fairing and the design of it left a lot of stuff (e.g., wires,,) exposed down near the triple trees. It looked like this was rushed into production (again, hopefully this will be much higher quality on the real production bikes).
In summary, this bike is clearly a Street Glide killer (see chart below), but it doesn't compare to the comfort of the XC. The size and layout felt very much like a Street Glide with the fairing in your face (it almost touches the hand controls) and there was little room to stretch out like you can on the XC. In my opinion this was designed to complete with the Street Glide (and it will crush it) but its not a world class touring machine. I believe Indian will make that world class touring machine (after they get the Scout out the door) in the next few years. I'm betting it will have a new 4 cylinder engine, a fixed fairing, along with class leading storage and electronics.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Steve,

I tested the new Indians today also. Visually, beautiful bikes. I've had 5 Vics in a row, so I'm a 'Vic' guy.

I'm emerging from some difficult times financially and will either be on a Vic or an Indian in 2014 early summer hopefully. My plan is to find an leftover 12 XR or go with Indian.

While I'm not an expert reviewer, I'm an anal retentive..............So here's my short take.

Pet Peeves and comments

One first thought. HEAT. The motor puts out HEAT. Both my hamstrings were feeling it in the parking lot while waiting to leave on the Classic. I would imagine someone in Arizona might not like this much heat. One upside is someone riding in colder climates will appreciate the HEAT. No need for heated seat.

1. I rode a nice looking Red Classic with the plastic lowers and felt the HEAT while riding. It had some longer pullback bars on it which were and more comfy for me as I have a short reach. Also a driver backrest that I forgot to pull up so I didn't really get to experience it for what it was supposed to do, LOL, inronically it did support my extreme lower back in the folded down postion, but also pushed me a little too far forward for my liking, DUH, I just saw the Red bike and jumped on it, never listened to the pre ride speech so I wasn't thinking........., but I will try a back rest the right way on Sunday. Engine, smooth, Lots of power. Took in up to 90 and was getting some vibes. It's not a GW. Throttle response at idle or low speed was sloppy, but on the highway in mid range and up was impressive. I'm under 5'8 with a 30' inseam and found myself longing for just a little X bike room but for me not bad. Someone above 6 ft with long legs will feel cramped and will be looking for forward controls. Vic has it going on in this dept. with flexible foot control adjustments standard.

2. Drove a Vintage WITHOUT windshield and no lowers with regular bars and the softer tan leather seat, no backreast. Much better for air on back of legs while riding but again at long stops, the HEAT. It was high 80's here today.

3. I drove a Chieftain and I had my mind made up never to consider a faring bike again, but I liked the Cheiftain. Except, also I didn't know I had the 'taller' windshield on my model (and I found out at end of day that there is another model there with a shorter windshield) and even all the way down I was looking through the top one inch. This bike handled better and weird but I only felt HEAT on my LEFT hamstring where the rear jug is offset, but the right leg was fine?? This bike had no plastic lowers and behaved very well on the highway. Not the weird buffeting like the X bikes. Also, maybe it's the cast wheels vs. spokes but the front end seemed to ride smoother. The radio didn't sound as good, or recept as good as the Xbikes. The bags arent' all that big IMHO compared to X bikes. But again, I have to say aside from the nits regarding this model, I really liked the Chieftain.

I'm going back on Sunday at 1pm to ride again and what I learned is they have all the pop on accessories or will remove something like a windshield or add a backrest for you. Something Vic never did on the demo rides. You just had to ride it the way it came. Seaing is only adequate without a driver backrest and the passenger backrest looked like a skinny version of the X bike passenger backrest.

I don't like what I have now nicknamed the giant air filter with '111' on it. I call it the 'pie plate'. In spite of my nits I like the Indian, but it isn't as roomy as the X bikes. For me it might work at nearly 60 years old and 'shrinking' a little more everyday.

For an entry level bike I think the quality and bike are pretty damn good. I talked with a guy who bought an 09 Indian and he said this one is significantly nicer, especially the gear shifting.

As far as paint quality, these bikes were NOT shined up but still looked pretty good. Black on this bike looks better than Vic. My favorite color was the RED Classic. Mine had some extra trinkets on it as well as stage ones. Most of the bikes had stage ones.

I think the bike is a winner for what it is. I would prefer the cast wheels on the naked bikes and if I went with an Indian I would see about getting it that way from the start. I think like every other bike, for ergos and personal tastes, to 'make it your own' you're going to have to spend some dough for sure.

One thought, HTF are you going to clean those spoked wheels ???? And the Classic should come with bags standard..........

I took some pics on my crappy cellphone and will try to post, but not now.

I'm baked as I stopped at 2 fav watering holes on the way home, so I'm hitting the shower. And I've just edited for errors like 10X. I tired.

I hope my half a$$ review will help some with questions.

Also I must give a big thumbs up to EVERYONE at the Wagner dealership in Worcester, Mass. for being so nice and hospitable. Should I go Indian, I don't have to look any further.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
At 6'4' I wonder again if it is worth my while to demo. I need the leg room. Still glad I canceled my order.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
17318 said:
At 6'4' I wonder again if it is worth my while to demo. I need the leg room. Still glad I canceled my order.
Its a nice bike, I would demo it and then decide.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
17318 said:
I'm 6'4' and I bought my Chief without even sitting on it.
I traded in my Kingpin and that didn't fit me before I moved my floorboards down 1' and out 2'
No bike has ever fit me from the factory, I have always needed to modify and I will do the same now, that is once she gets here.
Come on end of the month

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
tried all three today,,, power galore ! with the stage one set up the sound was fantastic. the chieftain handled like a sports car. probably due to the fact that it had a much shorter rake than the other two. smooth ride and the shifting was real nice, no precision needed ! definitely designed for the 5ft 10 inch and down crowd. for me they would make a great bar hopper. the bikes look great in person and the sales pitch was 5 yr bumper to bumper ulimited mi. waranty. great value for the money,,, just not for me. they offered me 12 thou on my three month old 2012 vision with 7 thou mi. on it for trade in ( i was pretending i was interested ). i loved my vision when i went there, and i loved it even more when i left( even with all its quirks ). again, people who fit on them will love them,,, what a difference 5 cubic inches makes !

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Interesting comments about the cramped feel. I'm glad I am waiting until they come in to test them out myself. With a 34' inseam, I really want to make sure I can get completely comfortable on the Chieftain. If not, then I will be sticking to an X-bike for a while.
Thanks for the reviews everyone!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
14125 said:
tried all three today,,, power galore ! what a difference 5 cubic inches makes !
You should +10CID! Let Lloyd have a go at your bike with a 116 Big Bore kit. Really transforms the ride.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
17318 said:
I think everyone should go and try them out if you're near a demo. I talked to a guy who came 3 hours from upstate NY to try one, he's taller than me for sure and he's getting one. I heard a 1,000 people a day are demoing for each demo day nationwide. Wagner has already sold about 30 alreday. YES you absolutely should demo it. I'm sure you had to make 'some changes' to make the KP your own. I'm going back tomorrow for demo rides and will sneak in whatever I can get my butt on. I just think it's greart there are THREE American made bikes for people to choose from now. As many have said, EVERY RIDER benefits from more choice because now one maker can't sit on their butt and just offer up what THEY want to sell. They have to listen to the market demands from Customers.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
1522 said:
Interesting comments about the cramped feel. I'm glad I am waiting until they come in to test them out myself. With a 34' inseam, I really want to make sure I can get completely comfortable on the Chieftain. If not, then I will be sticking to an X-bike for a while.
Thanks for the reviews everyone!
Like you said in another thread, I think we are spoiled with the legroom on the Vision and X bikes. I can't think of any other bike on the market with as much legroom. I didn't realize how much until I bought the BMW, which I thought would feel cramped but its surprisingly comfortable, even without highway pegs. Them again, it's not a cruiser based bike so it's to be expected.

One of the things that always amazed me is how cramped the Harley's are. I'm 5'9' with a 30' inseam and on a standard ultra classic I feel really cramped yet I can't flat foot the bike. I guess that's why there are 2 isles of highway pegs and mounts at the H-D dealerships, right next to the lowering kits......

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
2610 said:
Like you said in another thread, I think we are spoiled with the legroom on the Vision and X bikes. I can't think of any other bike on the market with as much legroom. I didn't realize how much until I bought the BMW, which I thought would feel cramped but its surprisingly comfortable, even without highway pegs. Them again, it's not a cruiser based bike so it's to be expected. One of the things that always amazed me is how cramped the Harley's are. I'm 5'9' with a 30' inseam and on a standard ultra classic I feel really cramped yet I can't flat foot the bike. I guess that's why there are 2 isles of highway pegs and mounts at the H-D dealerships, right next to the lowering kits......
I agree with the leg room on the Vision but for me the Cross bikes make my knees almost level with the top of the gas tank.
I actually considered buying a Cross Roads but I could not see any easy way to move the floorboards out and down to fit me.
My Kingpin was easy to modify and looking at the Chief Vintage I will make adapter plates very easily to suit me.
I sat on an Electra Glide and no way did it fit me, the Road King could have been modified easily.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
2610 said:
Like you said in another thread, I think we are spoiled with the legroom on the Vision and X bikes. I can't think of any other bike on the market with as much legroom. I didn't realize how much until I bought the BMW, which I thought would feel cramped but its surprisingly comfortable, even without highway pegs. Them again, it's not a cruiser based bike so it's to be expected.
One of the things that always amazed me is how cramped the Harley's are. I'm 5'9' with a 30' inseam and on a standard ultra classic I feel really cramped yet I can't flat foot the bike. I guess that's why there are 2 isles of highway pegs and mounts at the H-D dealerships, right next to the lowering kits......
That's why I cannot look at Harleys. If you think you are cramped at 5'9' imagine my long legs. I could flat foot your BMW (while it was on the Center stand)....Harleys today just need more room.
I hope the Indian can work. If there is a way. I'll find it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
2610 said:
Like you said in another thread, I think we are spoiled with the legroom on the Vision and X bikes. I can't think of any other bike on the market with as much legroom. I didn't realize how much until I bought the BMW, which I thought would feel cramped but its surprisingly comfortable, even without highway pegs. Them again, it's not a cruiser based bike so it's to be expected. One of the things that always amazed me is how cramped the Harley's are. I'm 5'9' with a 30' inseam and on a standard ultra classic I feel really cramped yet I can't flat foot the bike. I guess that's why there are 2 isles of highway pegs and mounts at the H-D dealerships, right next to the lowering kits......
Did you go ride them today Mark? If not come by tomorrow morning and I'll buy breakfast :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
845 said:
Did you go ride them today Mark? If not come by tomorrow morning and I'll buy breakfast :)
I went by to have a look and take some pictures but my ride reservations are for 10:00 and 10:30 tomorrow morning (Sunday). I'll get there around 9:30.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
2610 said:
I went by to have a look and take some pictures but my ride reservations are for 10:00 and 10:30 tomorrow morning (Sunday). I'll get there around 9:30.
See you there

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Test Rode the Chieftain today and Loved the Engine, Tranny, and Power both provide.. I am 5'8' with a 28' Inseam and I love the seat height and handlebars although not sure I would if much taller .. But even at my height thought the floorboards were too small and set too close in .. The adjustable windshield is the Cat's Meow, The Ride itself was great easy clutch pull with smooth shifting and plenty of power although downtown Daytona is not a good place to test engine potential .. Bottom Line is I hope they sell plenty but I will wait a while and hope they improve a few things next year ..

1 - 20 of 30 Posts