Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today was overcast and threatening rain all day, so I didn't put as many miles on the Chieftain as I would have liked. I did get a little over 130 miles, so here are my impressions after day one.
The motorcycle handles superbly and is very nimble. Coming off a XRs, I must say this bike 'feels' lighter and more maneuverable. I'm not totally surprised but I am very pleased. I find that the windshield in the lowest position suits me fine and although I tried it at several positions, I prefer looking over it at its lowest point. I did not notice the wind noise someone mentioned and agree with a previous review that the air management is excellent. I experienced no buffeting and I'm really happy for that. Buffeting was an issue on my XRs and I had to try many combinations to get it reduced. It never totally went away, but WTH it is a motorcycle.
The engine is wonderfully powerful and a joy to manage. I may not be discriminating enough to have an issue with the throttle by wire but for my riding style and interests, it works just fine. There are lots of gadgets and gizmos on the display to learn and I'm not there yet. I preferred riding rather than reading the manual today.
Engine heat IS AN ISSUE. The high was only around 83 today (on the display) but the engine will roast nuts. As I rode, I placed my hand on my left knee to deflect some air to the engine and it helped enormously. I've got to believe an aftermarket or OEM mod will surface to help with this issue. If this was mid July, I don't know if or how I could handle it.
I live in Music City USA and love music as much as the next guy, but if you want sound studio quality sound it doesn't happen on a motorcycle and I found the sound system to be very good and worth listening to as long as you just want to sing along and enjoy some tunes. If I need to hear the glockenspiel tinkle I'll strap on the Bose headphones on in the quiet of my house.
The exhaust note of the Stage 1s with the Shark Fins is exquisite. I can't say enough about the sound and the wonderfully deep bellow it has. I got LOTS of compliments on how good it sounded today.
Now for the REALLY bad issue. I didn't get as many miles as I wanted in part due to the weather but also due to the well wishers wanting to talk. OMG everywhere I stopped people want to ask about it and I was amazed at how many enthusiasts knew something about 'the new Indian!' Went to the Post Office and met a man and his adult son who rebuilt a '48 and just sold his 2004. He was stoked to see the it and had nothing but accolades for the design.
Okay, I know its only day one and I'm still giddy, but the only thing I'm concerned about is the engine heat. I couldn't be more pleased.
Hope this helps anyone on the fence.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Great review and I'm glad to see you are happy. As for the engine heat, don't worry, you'll get used to it. :) It will make you tougher.....or sterile!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice write up. Thanks for sharing.
It's going to hard for any bike to please me as much as my XC did, but it's sounds like I found one.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great review and keep them coming.

I test rode a Vintage that had been ridden all day
And didn't notice any heat issues. I wonder if the
Air management reducing buffeting could be
Creating a bubble preventing engine heat from escaping?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice review Carl. Thanks. I noticed some heat at Sturgis but I WANT that motor! :) I'll find a way to adjust if I have it. I'm going w/o the stage 1. I loved the stock power and don't want a louder exhaust. Choice is cool! :). Thanks again, Man. Ride safe and keep posting. I got an email from my dealer tonight asking to call and saying I'd be pleased! First thing in the morning, Man!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The Kawasaki 1700's are very hot. Most removed the pipes and wraped them with exhaust wrap under the chrome shields. I did it with my Nomad and made a hugh difference.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the review, interesting on the engine heat, same with the kwaka 1600's run too hot in summer, but as long as your happy thats all that matters, ENJOY!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
May want to consider Lower Wind Deflectors? During both of my test rides on heat soaked bikes (@83 F day) I did not notice excessive heat - then again my '08 HD Rocker has roasted some nuts in traffic. Thanks for your review carl_i and enjoy.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Carl, great review and happy for you. Can't wait till Sloan calls me. Coming from HD, can't imagine the heat will be worse on the Indian. The HDs will certainly roast your nuts at times.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Great Review .. Still have an eye on these, but Engine Heat and Throttle By Wire are 2 reasons among many others why gave up my Ultra .. Will watch and listen as time goes by .. Is for sure living in FL and Doing Road Trips in the Summer don't want a Heat Issue ..

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for your 'first ride' comments. I will be watching for more owner reviews over winter here in the PNW. It is a cool looking bike for sure.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey Carl and other new owners ( if any yet? )

Hoping to see more reviews from you guys, fuel economy, other impressions. Where are you all???

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I just got back from riding with the VMC group here in Middle TN. We left from the Indian dealership that has a pancake breakfast to benefit our VMC group's favorite charity every first Saturday of the month. (BTW kudos to Mr. Sloan on what are extremely fine pancakes and a wonderful monthly event.)
Ok, the 'Change Oil Soon' message appeared at 400 miles and I have about 430 now on the motorcycle. I still have only the heat as a complaint. I LOVE the hard bags and the locking ability that I didn't have on my XRs. Handling was wonderful on the gorgeous and twisty middle TN roads today. I had a blast. The riding position is different from my XRs but it is very comfortable for me. I couldn't be happier with my choice.
I haven't heard any unusual wind noise and the wind management is so much better than my XRs I'm tickled.
The dealership is working on one issue for me. The Infotainment Center is divided into four blocks. In the top block is the Time, 2 dashes and the ambient temperature. As I read my owner's manual I noticed the 2 dashes should be a directional indicator (N, S, E, W). So I try to calibrate the compass using the directions in the manual and cannot find the screen described in the manual. So, I called the dealership and to my surprise, THEY DON'T EVEN HAVE THE INSTRUCTIONS IN THE OTHER OWNER'S MANUALS. So today I brought my manual in to compare with the two other manuals they have. THE INSTRUCTIONS ARE MISSING!!
So here's the deal, my salesman is contacting the mother ship to find out what's up. But I've got to tell you, calibrating the compass is hilarious. The manual actually wants you to enter a code for your 'Compass Declination Angle Setting' and then instructs you to go to a parking lot and 'drive the motorcycle at 5 mph in a clockwise circle keeping the motorcycle as upright as possible. Excessive tilting to the left or right will affect the compass calibration.' REALLY!!! Never had to do that with the compass in my car! Oh well it doesn't go to that screen anyway. I'll update the group once I get an explanation from the dealer.
Bottom line - STILL GIDDY!!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Received my blue Chieftain today, #778. I went to the dealer to see WTH is up with my bike since I hadn't heard anything. While I was there, the truck showed up and my bike was on it :) :) :) I got to see it being born - lol
I didn't take it home because I still need to sign the paperwork for the financing and call the insurance company. I will give a review once I get it on the road Tuesday :)
Beautiful bike!!! The Vintage is also
a sight to behold for sure. Really love the brown leather seeing it in person. Might consider replacing the black seat on the Chieftain.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
10154 said:
But I've got to tell you, calibrating the compass is hilarious.  The manual actually wants you to enter a code for your 'Compass Declination Angle Setting' and then instructs you to go to a parking lot and 'drive the motorcycle at 5 mph in a clockwise circle keeping the motorcycle as upright as possible.  Excessive tilting to the left or right will affect the compass calibration.'  REALLY!!!  Never had to do that with the compass in my car!  Oh well it doesn't go to that screen anyway.  I'll update the group once I get an explanation from the dealer.
Bottom line - STILL GIDDY!!!!
Oh I can just see it now. 'Sir I'm gonna have to ask you to step off the bike. Yes we've received several call saying you've been in this parking lot for over an hour just riding in slow circles. Can you please step over to my car for a moment sir.'

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
10406 said:
Oh I can just see it now. 'Sir I'm gonna have to ask you to step off the bike. Yes we've received several call saying you've been in this parking lot for over an hour just riding in slow circles. Can you please step over to my car for a moment sir.'

LOL LOL LOL

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just for fun Google compass won't calibrate on chevy mirror. 1000s of hits. It appears they had the same firmware. Mine had to be held down on the C for 30 seconds then set the zone then circle under 5MPh counter clockwise for several trips. Eventually I gave up on it. Felt silly every month or so going to the parking lot to make it work.

Hopefully they are much better at that now. My dodge works fine so am sure its just a glitch.

Thanks for the review.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts