Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone with the early Chieftain radios have a problem with it randomly switching from USB-BT-Radio-Off and not necessarily in that order. Mine will also sometimes switch off for 10-15 minutes and sometimes only for a second or 2. Drives me batshit crazy. Seems to be getting worse. And of course it doesn't do it all the time so I'm reluctant to take in to dealer cause I'm sure it will behave perfectly. Not sure what the connections look like under fairing, so is it possible one is coming loose?

·
Registered
211 Posts
I only listen to my USB, but every now and then it will shut off for 2-3 seconds. It might do this a few times in an hour. I figure that is a loose wire somewhere. so far mine hasn't gotten bad enough to take the fairing off to go exploring for the issue. If we have loose wires causing our issues we should be able to take the outer fairing off, (not that hard to do if you haven't done it yet) turn the music on, and wiggle the wires around until you find the one causing the problem. A loose connection would be an easy fix. Hopefully it is not something inside of the radio, or i'll be lost.
I will be following this thread to see what others say, and maybe how they fixed the issue.
Good luck, and update us if you find the problem.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,094 Posts
I didn't have that problem on my 14 Chieftain but since it's all software controlled I would start by ensuring I have the latest version. Here is the website Polaris Ride Command

The only problem I've ever had was with it switching over to USB when I was listening to the Bluetooth. I removed the USB drive and haven't had a problem since.

·
Bronze member
1,674 Posts
I didn't have that problem on my 14 Chieftain but since it's all software controlled I would start by ensuring I have the latest version. Here is the website Polaris Ride Command

The only problem I've ever had was with it switching over to USB when I was listening to the Bluetooth. I removed the USB drive and haven't had a problem since.
I had mine switching from USB to Radio to Bluetooth on its own. I determined that the cable with the USB connector was crappy and loose. I got a short USB to USB and made Ute it was tight and taped. Never happened again.

·
Founding member
2,170 Posts

The Polaris Ride Command link is for a phone app that only allows updates to bikes with "Ride Command". It doesn't connect to older bikes (like the OPs), so there is no way to check/update anything on our bikes.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had mine switching from USB to Radio to Bluetooth on its own. I determined that the cable with the USB connector was crappy and loose. I got a short USB to USB and made Ute it was tight and taped. Never happened again.
Mine still does it with the USB port not connected, did yours do that as well?

·
5,094 Posts
The Polaris Ride Command link is for a phone app that only allows updates to bikes with "Ride Command". It doesn't connect to older bikes (like the OPs), so there is no way to check/update anything on our bikes.
Forgot about that :confused:, I have an 18 Roadmaster now :rolleyes:

Reactions: jayred1

·
5,094 Posts
Mine still does it with the USB port not connected, did yours do that as well?
No it didn't.

I forgot the update website is for Ride Command.

Have you had your bike in for service lately? If not the dealer can update the software on the non-Ride Command bikes.

·
Rider
1,210 Posts
The only problem I've had with mine is it completely dropping out. I'll be riding, particularly in a deluge, listening to the USB and it'll drop out for several second to several minutes at a time and display "NAV" on the display. Makes no sense whatsoever to me because I don't have GPS, don't use Bluetooth, and don't even listen to the radio. Is it trying to connect to something? If so, what? More importantly, why???

But, it's only happened three times, once 2½ years ago up in the mountains and twice this past July (once in the mountains during the Pow Wow and once near the beach).

BD

Reactions: SteveinUT

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Any tricks to removing outer fairing. May as well check for loose connections before taking to dealer.

·
Registered
211 Posts
buy one of those little yellow rubber bondo spreaders. When you take the 3 bolts out of the big cover on the front of the fairing (around the headlight) use the rubber spreader to pry the cover off with. Makes it come off super easy, reducing any chance of breaking the tabs on the back side, plus the rubber helps keep it from scratching the paint. Can get one at any auto parts store for about $2

·
Silver member
5,009 Posts
Mine was doing the same thing; switching constantly on its own from USB to Radio then back to USB then radio or no longer reading the songs on the USB.
I took out the USB stick I was using; radio worked fine; so transferred all my songs over to a different USB and everything is working great now. I suspect the USB stick I was using was causing the issues - maybe worn / loose connection.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Mine was doing the same thing; switching constantly on its own from USB to Radio then back to USB then radio or no longer reading the songs on the USB.
I took out the USB stick I was using; radio worked fine; so transferred all my songs over to a different USB and everything is working great now. I suspect the USB stick I was using was causing the issues - maybe worn / loose connection.
I thought that too, however took out the USB memory stick and it still does it. I'm wondering if it could be in the handlebar switch/control....

·
Registered
32 Posts
Anyone with the early Chieftain radios have a problem with it randomly switching from USB-BT-Radio-Off and not necessarily in that order. Mine will also sometimes switch off for 10-15 minutes and sometimes only for a second or 2. Drives me batshit crazy. Seems to be getting worse. And of course it doesn't do it all the time so I'm reluctant to take in to dealer cause I'm sure it will behave perfectly. Not sure what the connections look like under fairing, so is it possible one is coming loose?
I had the same problem. I have a Garmin Navigation hardwired on my 2015 Chieftain. It sits in its power cradle when using it but when I am not using it the unit goes in my saddle bag.. after studying the problem I found out the 3.5 mm plug that goes in the back of the Garmin for producing sound to my speakers through the radio was touching the handle bars every now and then causing the radio to switch back and forth to navigation‍♂.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes, that's why I believe I will take apart the switch housing before I remove the outer fairing. No reason why, but for some reason I feel the issue is in the handlebar side of the control. Mine has now even started to display 'RADIO OFF'. Hoping to get time this weekend to investigate.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts