Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are you the owner of a Chieftain? If so, we'd like to hear what you think about the bike for possible use in a CW story. Please e-mail your reasonably brief comments to us at [email protected], or respond below. Our deadline is early next week.

Thanks for the help!

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2,047 Posts
Good Morning Don,

I have owned Chieftain #873 for 9 months and have racked up 18,000+ miles on it. I ride it to work everyday and have made several long tours. It is the best new motorcycle I have owned in 42 years of riding. It handles superbly, has excellent brakes, and a wonderful engine. Tire life has been great; I replaced the rear at 13,500 and am ordering a new front this week. The fairing gives decent protection and the electrically-adjustable windshield is a nice feature, even if it rattles a bit over rough roads. The saddlebags are large and easy to use, the key-less locking feature especially. The dash displays useful information. It is a beautiful motorcycle; people, even non-motorcyclists, admire it everywhere I go.

There are a few nits to pick: One of the oil drain plugs stripped when I removed it for the initial 500-mile service; this has apparently happened on 8 other Chiefs that I am aware of. I tapped it for an over-size plug and have had no further problems. There is more plastic on the bike than I like, for weight-saving purposes I'm sure. There are occasional glitches in the computerized displays, which seem to sort themselves out.

As someone else wrote on www.indianmotorcycles.net, (I paraphrase) "If something happened to this bike I'd go immediately and buy another." All in all a great motorcycle and worthy of the Indian name.

--- Randall

·
Registered
172 Posts
I bought my chieftain in June. I have enjoyed every bit of the almost 8000 miles I have put on it. The bike has plenty of power to get out of tight spots witch I have had to use a couple of times (other drivers not paying attention). It handles nicely. I like the fact I can get around a semi on interstate going against the wind with out down shifting, just twist the throttle and go. The only problem I have had with the bike is once in a while the cruse control has issues. I too would not hesitate to buy another one.
David

·
Registered
161 Posts
Great bike. I have 7000 miles on it now with no issues. I really like the fact that it looks great with or without the saddle bags. I have the solo rack and seat rail. It is a very versatile bike. It handles great and the power is very good with the stage 1 pipes. It will cruise all day long at 110mph like its on rails.The sound is fantastic. It is the best bike Ive ever owned. Smokes my Harleys hands down!!
20140831_184833.jpg

·
Registered
156 Posts
Are you the owner of a Chieftain? If so, we'd like to hear what you think about the bike for possible use in a CW story. Please e-mail your reasonably brief comments to us at [email protected], or respond below. Our deadline is early next week.

Thanks for the help!
I bought Chieftain #1061 and completed the Iron Butt 1500 miles in less than 24 hours challenge right after the 500 mile oil change. I've ridden over 45 years and owned bunches of different brands. With 13,000 miles, zero problems, endless compliments, and even thumbs up from numerous HD riders, it is clearly the best bike I've ever owned. Old school charm, new school technology. My prayer has been answered.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts