Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this topic has probably been beaten to death. But, I am curious what the differences are between Kst Apache bars vs Trask vs Indian oem mid rise vs Dirty bird short bars are?? I have read a bunch of posts on the matter and got a ton of info. However, most of the post are from people in the 6 ft range or taller. Because I am 5'10" I was looking for some slightly taller then stock but not to much over the fairing on a 2019 chieftain limited.. Any input or opinions would be helpful.
I don't want to go thru the work and money of installing new bars and being unhappy with them.

Thanks everybody!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,917 Posts
Everyone who has tried them will have some kind of opinion... good, bad or otherwise. I suggest you find a demo or a friend with said bars and give them a trial. I tried a set (Indian mid-rise) on a demo bike from the Polaris truck. I did not like the feel in the parking lot although they seemed fine out on the road. Some others have said that they didn't really like them at first but then got used to them.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Everyone who has tried them will have some kind of opinion... good, bad or otherwise. I suggest you find a demo or a friend with said bars and give them a trial. I tried a set on a demo bike from the Polaris truck. I did not like the feel in the parking lot although they seemed fine out on the road. Some others have said that they didn't really like them at first but then got used to them.
I have tried the Indians mid rise and was kinda looking for some just slightly shorter. I don't know anyone with the other brands to test out unfortunately.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I have Mid-rise on my RM but have KST bars jut not installed. KST on paper claim a 36" width vs the 40" for Mid-rise. From photos I guessing KST are slightly lower than Mid's but I believe they claim to be the same height. Very comfortable height vs stock bars that I hated, All personal preference on this. My draw was to get the narrower width to match the 36" bars on my Vintage

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have Mid-rise on my RM but have KST bars jut not installed. KST on paper claim a 36" width vs the 40" for Mid-rise. From photos I guessing KST are slightly lower than Mid's but I believe they claim to be the same height. Very comfortable height vs stock bars that I hated, All personal preference on this. My draw was to get the narrower width to match the 36" bars on my Vintage
That's helpful.. thanks!

·
Bronze member
3,049 Posts
Everyone who has tried them will have some kind of opinion... good, bad or otherwise. I suggest you find a demo or a friend with said bars and give them a trial. I tried a set (Indian mid-rise) on a demo bike from the Polaris truck. I did not like the feel in the parking lot although they seemed fine out on the road. Some others have said that they didn't really like them at first but then got used to them.
same here.. and I ain't spending the money to "learn" to like them...

·
Registered
429 Posts
KST makes the Indian MidRise bars too!

Remember the total height is calculated to the top of the spike....

Yes the MidRise bars are a tiny bit taller...

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Makes me think I'm gonna go with kst bars.. little lower and a touch more style.. but still researching.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I have the OEM midrise bars on mine (no fairing protection). My buddy installed the Trask Bro bars and they have ample protection. He's 5'11" and he loves them. I have to admit I like the look of them. That being said they do have a slight sight line blockage to some of the '18 + fairing dashboard. I think they cover like 0-5mph and some of the low end tachometer but nothing that will hinder use at normal speeds.

$0.02

Reactions: crookedpinky96

·
Registered
269 Posts
Also whatever bars you go with. When installing the wires in the handlebars. Using some guide twine with an air hose gets the rope through fast, then use lubricant (we used glass cleaner) on the connectors to get around the corners easier.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I know this topic has probably been beaten to death. But, I am curious what the differences are between Kst Apache bars vs Trask vs Indian oem mid rise vs Dirty bird short bars are?? I have read a bunch of posts on the matter and got a ton of info. However, most of the post are from people in the 6 ft range or taller. Because I am 5'10" I was looking for some slightly taller then stock but not to much over the fairing on a 2019 chieftain limited.. Any input or opinions would be helpful.
I don't want to go thru the work and money of installing new bars and being unhappy with them.

Thanks everybody!

I had midrise bars for about a week I didn't like the pull back angle. I put 10 inch kst bars on my chieftain just about even with top of fairing and more comfortable hand position. I'm also 510

Attachments

·
Rider
1,029 Posts
I put Indian mid rise on my 2016 Roadmaster and totally love them. I am 6' 3".
Ended 85% of my back and neck pain. And I feel a lot more sturdy when braking, but your hands are up higher in the wind, but doesn't bother me.

--
Gordon

·
Rider
739 Posts
I'm 5'9" and have the KST Apache +6 bars (midrise). They are perfect for me. As stated earlier they do cover a little of the speedo (0-20 mph) and the tach (5000 rpm and up) but honestly with the Ride Command showing speed and rpm I almost never look at the speedo or tach as I don't ride around max-performing the bike.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I am also contemplating new bars and having the same decision issue, between Trask, Indian and KST. Which Trask bars should I be looking at for a 2017 Roadmaster? I would like to be even with the fairing or lower if possible.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm 5'9" and have the KST Apache +6 bars (midrise). They are perfect for me. As stated earlier they do cover a little of the speedo (0-20 mph) and the tach (5000 rpm and up) but honestly with the Ride Command showing speed and rpm I almost never look at the speedo or tach as I don't ride around max-performing the bike.
Yep, I think +6 kst Apache bars are the way to go..

1 - 20 of 38 Posts