Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Rider
2019 Scout and Chieftain Classic both in Willow Green and Cream
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm picking up my new Chieftain tomorrow and haven't found a kickstand that I can use with my short legs. The standard kickstand does not lock into position easily for me and trying to retract it I have trouble reaching it to pull back. I looked at the so called extended reach is not usefull for my short legs. Can't reach it any better. Didn't see anything on line, I can't be the only one with this problem.
thanks

·
Rider
943 Posts
Search these forums and also the internet you will find a plethora of choices.

·
Rider
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Search these forums and also the internet you will find a plethora of choices.
I tried a search on the forum and came up with nothing. And both I and parts department found nothing on line, but I know i'm not the first with this problem, that's why I asked. But there are so many ways things can be listed and search by, sometimes it can be a overload of information, making it hard to find things.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I bought and installed an Aeromech # CI-73-201C extender for my 2017 Chieftain Elite. I added a pop rivit to insure it would not turn. $ 39.95, Frank

·
Rider
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I bought and installed an Aeromech # CI-73-201C extender for my 2017 Chieftain Elite. I added a pop rivit to insure it would not turn. $ 39.95, Frank
Do you have a picture of it installed, no installation info or pictures on their website. thanks
The picture didn't load, the first time. This is very similar to the Indian extended stand, but does nothing for me I need it on the back side not the end of stand. More like the v-bar that HD has on rearward side of stand. thanks

·
Rider
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
These forums.
Google search

OR are you saying you found nothing you liked?
I found nothing on a kickstand for those who can't reach an extended kickstand or for pushing it out all the way to the extended lock position. At the end of a factory demo truck ride the first time I found out that the stand, when I pushed it out and almost dropped the bike over. If not for the fact that one of the factory truck guys who caught it , it would of gone over.

·
Rider
943 Posts
I found nothing on a kickstand for those who can't reach an extended kickstand or for pushing it out all the way to the extended lock position. At the end of a factory demo truck ride the first time I found out that the stand, when I pushed it out and almost dropped the bike over. If not for the fact that one of the factory truck guys who caught it , it would of gone over.
Are you saying you found no kickstand extensions in the two links I provided?

·
Registered
38 Posts
The Aeromach installs just like the Harley, you can get it black or chrome, it is not as tall as the HD, looks a lot better. I'm 5'6" and it worked for me. Frank

·
Registered
281 Posts
3 options
[1] put your kickstand at 90 degrees to your bike while getting on it. with your bars turned at full right turn while holding the front brake with a deathgrip. that way you can reach it.
[2] get on bike and roll it forward moving kickstand to position1
[3] Have your passenger put it up for you before they get on.
I tried the indian reduced reach, promptly sold it as it was no help
lowering the bike helps.

·
Rider
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
3 options
[1] put your kickstand at 90 degrees to your bike while getting on it. with your bars turned at full right turn while holding the front brake with a deathgrip. that way you can reach it.
[2] get on bike and roll it forward moving kickstand to position1
[3] Have your passenger put it up for you before they get on.
I tried the indian reduced reach, promptly sold it as it was no help
lowering the bike helps.
HD has the right idea, a v-shaped round bar about halfway down the stand shaft on the aft side of it. My biggest hassle is getting it out and locked in before leaning bike over.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I'm 5'7", and also had trouble locking the OEM kickstand. I found a used extended OEM kickstand online, bought it, and got it installed . . . it helps a little with reaching the kickstand to retract it, but it doesn't really help with locking the kickstand fully forward. There's a technique that has helped me with fully engaging the kickstand . . . push it down as far as you can with your heel, then kick it with your toe about midway up the kickstand. I've been doing this for a while, have gotten used to it, and it works well for me.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'm 5'7", and also had trouble locking the OEM kickstand. I found a used extended OEM kickstand online, bought it, and got it installed . . . it helps a little with reaching the kickstand to retract it, but it doesn't really help with locking the kickstand fully forward. There's a technique that has helped me with fully engaging the kickstand . . . push it down as far as you can with your heel, then kick it with your toe about midway up the kickstand. I've been doing this for a while, have gotten used to it, and it works well for me.
That’s exactly what I do. I’m also about 5’7”

·
Rider
943 Posts
push it down as far as you can with your heel, then kick it with your toe about midway up the kickstand. I've been doing this for a while, have gotten used to it, and it works well for me.
That is what I have to do also. At just under 5'8" I tip the bike slightly to the right and scoot to the left a bit on the seat and am just able to get the stand with the tip of the toe and pull it up.

·
Registered
303 Posts
That’s exactly what I do. I’m also about 5’7”
Same here. 5 foot 7. I have the extended reach stand and I always just give it another kick when I put it down to make sure it's fully out there.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts