Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Bronze member
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the last month, occasionally when starting (mostly while stopping for gas, etc.) it fails to start immediately but seems to run on one cylinder and eventually cuts out and the compression release is heard. I let go of the start button immediately, but it continues as if the starter is hung up. on a few occasions, I did get a few ABS voltage codes, so I replaced the battery with a non Yuasa. Bike has 4 seasons and 27000 miles so I opted for a battery and checked all connections. It did the hard start once again a few days ago.
I thought I'd run this by you smart people and get some brainstorming. I am a decent wrench, but this is a bit unusual. Bike is stock except for Stage 1 AC and PVCX.
Thanks
Phil

·
Rider
503 Posts
I had to replace my starter. It started to act like a bad battery, so I did the battery and no improvement. Starts better than ever with the new starter.

·
Bronze member
1,224 Posts
You mention that you heard the compression release. I think that hearing it would be impossible because it's a simple mechanical device that operates at RPMs under idle speed and, after the engine starts, centrifugal force disengages it.
If that new battery is fully charged, I suspect that your starter motor may be on it's last leg.

·
Bronze member
3,344 Posts
Same thing on mine.. two riding seasons 20K on the clock... but no codes... every so often it seems the starter is hanging up.. but the bike isn't running... when she finally kicks in everything seems ok.. watching this

·
Bronze member
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was able to capture it on video. This time it started relatively quickly. Usually a lot longer. You can hear the compression release or a backfire.
Well it doesn't like the .mov format from the iphone.

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
What year is your bike? My '17 had the starter replaced under warranty because the older starters had no seal between the gear and the engine, and oil mist would eventually gum up the starter.

·
Bronze member
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What year is your bike? My '17 had the starter replaced under warranty because the older starters had no seal between the gear and the engine, and oil mist would eventually gum up the starter.
2017 Chieftain Limited. Built March 2017, I believe. I have extended warranty until 2022. If not, I would just replace it myself. Good to know. I had never heard about a possible starter issue on the PS111, but the Scouts did.
Thank you
Phil

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
2017 Chieftain Limited. Built March 2017, I believe. I have extended warranty until 2022. If not, I would just replace it myself. Good to know. I had never heard about a possible starter issue on the PS111, but the Scouts did.
Thank you
Phil
I don't think there was a recall for it, but my service manager told me about it when I was helping out at a Demo Days event, and replaced it when he noticed that mine was starting slow.

Reactions: masspatriot

·
Rider
503 Posts
That is how my'17 sounded before I had the starter replaced. It started slowly, like a cold weather start. It got progressively worse, ever in warm weather.

·
Bronze member
3,344 Posts
mine sounds a little different.. the starter is not slow... it just doesn't fire right away..

·
Bronze member
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Diagnosed as bad starter, drawing 170-210 amps which is over service spec of 160A. Waiting on part shipment. At least I can still diagnose with some degree of accuracy.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts