Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 3,000 miles on new bike, I returned home from a 500 mile 2 day trip. Every thing was OK until I pulled into my garage. When I switched off the bike my headlight would not go off. I restarted several time but no joy. I pulled ever fuse I could get to and looked in the cheap owners manual. There is no fuse for the headlight???? I had to disassemble my headlight while it was still on. I am supposed to leave for a local Rally Tuesday AM, no dealer or Indian corporate is available to help. I am basically screwed till tuesday.

Does ANYONE know where the relay or fuse is for the headlamp? I can bet the relay is fused shut.:mad:

Frustrated and pissed

·
Registered
52 Posts
I don't know much about it because I have had mine for a little more than a week. When I was at the dealer last Thursday getting my service, the service dept. brought another Chieftan around and parked it. The light stayed on for a while. I was standing by the service manager and informed him that the light was left on. He said that it will go off on it's own like a car. It took a little while but it did. I haven't noticed if mine is staying on or not after shutting it down.

·
Early joiner
157 Posts
The headlight to my understanding is part of the CAN system which means it is controled by the computer system. Try disconnecting your battery for 20 minutes as this will reset it. You only need to disconnect the neg. terminal.

·
Registered
62 Posts
The light on my Classic stays on for a short while after shut down, then it turns off automatically. Or I can press the fat instant on button and it turns off immediately.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Took it to dealer after disconnecting headligt. The ECM was fried.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Mine does opposite,about once every 25 starts or so, headlamp wont come on, and I have to start/restart a few times, once on it stays on....strange!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a Chieftain that I purchased last February and it currently has 17,000 miles. Back in August the check engine light came on and the error code indicated a problem with the headlight and a short back to the - terminal of the battery. The headlight would only work on low beam as the high beam would not come on. After numerous efforts by the dealer to correct the problem, the factory indicated a problem with the ECM. The replacement ECM was ordered on August 9 and arrived at the dealer the first week of November. Last week the dealer replaced the ECM and guess what, the check engine light is still on with a different error code, but the high beam is at least now working. The dealer is now going to try replacing the headlight plug at my next service to see if that will shut off the check engine light. Props to the dealer for all their efforts, but thumbs down to Indian for 3 months to replace a part and their inability to assist with a solution. BTW, I absolutely love this motorcycle!

·
Founding member / distinguished
2,752 Posts
If you shut off the bike with the ignition switch on the right, the light will stay on for a while. If you shut the bike off with the big button on the tank, it kills everything instantly.

Also, if you use the big button to turn it off and leave the ignition switch on, hit the starter button to turn on the ignition, then hit it a second time to start.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts