Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had problems with the mounting bolts breaking on the driving lights inside their fairing? I replaced the driving lights on a 2016 CDH with LED bulbs. I did not think I over torqued the screws, but I must have as one of the bulbs popped loose while driving. Upon disassembly and inspection I found 4 of the six bolts had pulled out of the plastic -- it just disintegrated. See photos below.

Now, anybody have a suggestion for a fix?

Fairing 2.jpg Fairing 1.jpg Fairing 3.jpg Fairing 4.jpg
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Learn from my error. If changing out the auxiliary lights in your fairing, be careful not to over tighten them!


If you break something on your fairing, or any other plastic part, know that it can often be repaired. It may be tedious work, but it can be done. I priced a new fairing from Cheap Motorcycle Parts online - $650!

I searched the internet and found some suggestions for welding ABS. However, I don't think Indian is using ABS for their plastic parts. The suggested method for joining ABS parts is using Acetone and melting the parts until they join. Acetone doesn't seem to do anything to the plastic fairing.

Also, one method used PVC/ CPVC pipe glue. It looked promising, but did not work well and it never seemed to harden. The brass nut insert pulled out almost immediately.
20190511_101729.jpg
20190511_101657.jpg
Note the yellow color. I tried to used masking tape to create a sleeve. It didn't work out.

My last attempt worked best. Use Epoxy glue by Loctite.
20190511_101715.jpg

Using a Q-tip with the fuzz removed as a spatula. I dabbed it around the inserts, slowly building up a layer of epoxy.

20190509_204357.jpg

Here is a comparison of Loctite and PVC glue.
20190509_204334.jpg

Where I needed more epoxy and built a mold from some electrical wire nuts. They remained in place, but got smoothed off with a Dremel tool.


20190511_101647.jpg

You MUST take care to keep the epoxy away from the threads. And, it cannot fill the hollow post as the screws seat pretty deep.

I got all inserts secure. In order to keep from over torquing them, I put o-rings on each screw and used blue Loctite. They are all just over finger tight -- snug. Do not use even a small ratchet.
 
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Top