Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the minds at Moorcycle.com, the Chieftain and the 111 and the 116 no longer exist....

In the list of "ALL THE BAGGERS" there is no mention...

A hint of what's coming?

·
Rider
1,245 Posts
Before the challenger came along I feel the chieftain was indians best model.
Now im wonder where this will go.
Maybe no more ride command updates like promised either.?

·
Bronze member
1,242 Posts
The Chieftain still exists. Motorcyclist.com just decided to not include it in the new comparison because they already had too many bikes to test and the Chieftain had already been done before.

"In lieu of the logistical nightmare that is putting seven motorcycles together for a test – especially since we’ve already ridden all of them – in this spec chart comparison we’re going to swap the Indian [Chieftain] and two Harleys for the Challenger Limited and updated Road Glide, respectively..."

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Shshshhsh.... this thread/topic will be needed to get some peeps thru the winter months ;)
EXACTLY! ;)

I do find it interesting that they eliminated the 111/116 from the data.

This wasn't a motorcycle review, they culled existing data and publiahed side by sidwe specs.

I WOULD say that the Challenger has eclipsed the Chieftain in many minds.

·
Silver member
4,938 Posts
EXACTLY! ;)

I do find it interesting that they eliminated the 111/116 from the data.

This wasn't a motorcycle review, they culled existing data and publiahed side by sidwe specs.

I WOULD say that the Challenger has eclipsed the Chieftain in many minds.
True for many, but some still like and or prefer an air cooled tractor type stump puller.... in brand X or Y ;)

I'm not much of a Challenger (design) fan. I'm more of a basic MC kind'a guy.... Vintage, Road King, Springfield, yada. But the Challenger drive train in a Vintage or Springfireld might get my attention.... mebee…. :cool:

·
Rider
1,007 Posts
Is the Streetglide on the list?

I don't think the Challenger will ever replace the Chieftain. I'm not a big fan of the slightly oversized scout with a huge nose, that's only my opinion of course, but I think many out there prefer the chieftain over the challenger.
So no need to worry.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Yeah I guess that means the Street Glide is dead too lol,,,,,,,

·
Bronze member
1,317 Posts
I dismiss it as just moto-journalism being what it is. They just narrowed the field down for the sake of saving time & work as well as magazine pages.
I agree with you reini….. it's also a money thing including more scoots.
I refuse to the accept the moto-journalism word and continue to live in my own reality...…..

·
Bronze member
1,242 Posts
While it's great that there will be many who do like it, I'm of the same opinion. I've owned a bike with a frame mounted fairing and loved it. But IMHO the Challenger fairing and engine are FUGLY. Even if the Power Plus engine can outrun my 116 cubic inch Thunderstroke Roadmaster, it will never compete for space in my garage.

Just my opinion, your mileage may vary...

·
Bronze member
3,472 Posts
everyone has an opinion... I like them both... and if the 4th QTR report has anything to do with it... we're going to see more models with the PP108 drive train... I think Indian hit on something there and for an American cruiser manufacture is on the ground floor... sure others have done it... but they failed... if the numbers are right from Polaris... Indian hasn't... all the more reason for them to get off of their collective asses and figure out the troublesome Challengers and fix them...

·
Diamond member
9,096 Posts
everyone has an opinion... I like them both... and if the 4th QTR report has anything to do with it... we're going to see more models with the PP108 drive train... I think Indian hit on something there and for an American cruiser manufacture is on the ground floor... sure others have done it... but they failed... if the numbers are right from Polaris... Indian hasn't... all the more reason for them to get off of their collective asses and figure out the troublesome Challengers and fix them...
I didn't see the Q for Indian, but I did just see that HD finished off in a worse slump than predicted @8% down.
Got a link for PI numbers?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts