Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have benefited from this forum, hence, I thought of sharing my experience. I could not find a comfortable riding position with the factory windshield (IMO is garbage). Based on the popularity, I added the 14" Klock Werks windshield with flare. It helped but did not eliminate the issue. Also, initially I was riding with full face helmet.

Upon research, I stumbled upon JES Custom Accents wind deflectors. They certainly added relief but did not eliminate the issue. I recently added leather closeouts to further tackle the issue. Now I can say that buffeting is minimal i.e. above 75-80mph...I still experience some. I am 5'10" and I ride with half-helmet. I ride with the shield down up to 40-45mph and raise the shield for speeds above.

The above set-up works for me. Hope my experience helps others.

For touring i.e. 400miles or long trips, I am considering Freedom Shields 16" or 18". Any suggestion are welcome.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
when i lived up north i dreaded putting on the helmet. i know it does save lives. but the constant battering of my head/neck drove me crazy. down here in florida no helmet law (yet). i do wear one during rainy season as rain feels like getting sand blasted.
my last 5 bikes have been touring bikes. On the RM it's just about right for me using a stock windshield

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
I’ve had buffeting issues with my Chieftain. I found that with me the half helmet I own (HJC) produces a lot more wind buffeting than my 3/4 helmet (Arai).

I’ve tried both the 14 inch Klockwerks and 14 inch Freedom windshields. Buffeting was about the same for me with the Freedom giving slightly less buffeting in the full down position. I also went with the Freedom windshield because I didn’t like the visual distortion I had looking through the Klockwerks in the full up position.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Rider
739 Posts
I have a 10” klock werks and a 13.7 Indian (klock werks style) along with JES deflectors. I’ve eliminated about 80% of the buffering which works well for me.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I rode down to Phoenix from Flagstaff last month to get some service done. I was absolutely abused by the buffeting. I had thought about getting a bigger (taller) shield but it had been on the back burner. That trip made up my mind. I paid the inflated dealer price for the OEM 20” shield since they had one in stock. Big difference. Almost no buffeting at all. I dislike looking through the plastic as I am 5’8” and even with the shield down I still can’t see over it. I am thinking a 16”-18” might be right for me.

·
Bronze member
2,754 Posts
I had buffering with my 2013 Victory Cross Roads Classic .I did a few changes with hard bags, screen on and off at times then custom paint and changed the crash engine bar to the tour crash /engine bars and lastly added the Victory wind deflectors with the custom paint to match the bikes custom paint work and seat.They worked a treat. I am not sure if there is anything like them in the market these days for the Indians. But if there is ,they may be worth giving them a shot.
IMG_0248.jpg
IMG_0231.jpg
IMG_0644.jpg

1 - 6 of 6 Posts