Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Founding member / Distinguished
3,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone got a service manual who can tell me what then tension on the drive belt is suppose to be? I checked my yesterday and it seems to me to be pretty low. I can deflect it to over an inch with almost no pressure. Dean E

·
2,048 Posts
From my reply to a similar question:

Well, I looked it up in the service manual last night and the adjustment procedure runs 3 pages with tables and illustrations; its fairly involved. Briefly:
Using the described tool (Belt Tension Gauge PV-43532) to apply 10 lbs. perpendicular pressure to a cool, dry belt.

Chieftain - 1.3" (34 mm) or 11 notches up on belt guard
Vintage/Classic - 1.1" (28 mm) or 8 notches up on belt guard

You should check the belt at 4 different points 90 degrees apart rotating the the wheel clockwise as viewed from the belt side of the motorcycle, placing a mark on the wheel at the tightest point to use as a reference. Rotate the wheel clockwise 1-2 revolutions until the reference mark is lined up with the tension setting window in the lower belt guard. Use the tension gauge to apply 10 lbs. of pressure against the belt at the center and count the notches it deflects in the window. Adjust to above specs.

Now, you must also check the run-out of the belt on the rear pulley turning the wheel both forward and backward, which involves adjusting the left-side axle adjuster so that the belt tracks in the center of the pulley or you will experience chirping and rapid belt wear.
--- Randall

·
3,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Well, I looked it up in the service manual last night and the adjustment procedure runs 3 pages with tables and illustrations; its fairly involved. Briefly:
Using the described tool (Belt Tension Gauge PV-43532) to apply 10 lbs. perpendicular pressure to a cool, dry belt.

You should check the belt at 4 different points 90 degrees apart rotating the the wheel clockwise as viewed from the belt side of the motorcycle, placing a mark on the wheel at the tightest point to use as a reference. Rotate the wheel clockwise 1-2 revolutions until the reference mark is lined up with the tension setting window in the lower belt guard. Use the tension gauge to apply 10 lbs. of pressure against the belt at the center and count the notches it deflects in the window. Adjust to above specs.

Now, you must also check the run-out of the belt on the rear pulley turning the wheel both forward and backward, which involves adjusting the left-side axle adjuster so that the belt tracks in the center of the pulley or you will experience chirping and rapid belt wear.
--- Randall
I find it interesting that there would be a difference between the Chieftain and the Vintage. Dean E

·
Registered
504 Posts
Anyone got a service manual who can tell me what then tension on the drive belt is suppose to be? I checked my yesterday and it seems to me to be pretty low. I can deflect it to over an inch with almost no pressure. Dean E
Dean, the belt was extremely loose on my roadmaster when I picked it up. The service tech came to my house to tighten it up. It is suppose to be 1.3 inches which is 34mm. Mine was so loose the only thing that kept the centers from touching is the belt guard. I asked him what is was supposed to be set at & he replied 1.3 or something like 11 notches on the guard under 10lbs of tension. I asked him to set mine a little tighter than spec, so he set it at 32mm. If you set it up like Randall has said you will not have any problems, adjust- rotate, adjust-rotate. They like a very slim gap to the inside of the wheel pulley.

·
3,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dean, the belt was extremely loose on my roadmaster when I picked it up. The service tech came to my house to tighten it up. It is suppose to be 1.3 inches which is 34mm. Mine was so loose the only thing that kept the centers from touching is the belt guard. I asked him what is was supposed to be set at & he replied 1.3 or something like 11 notches on the guard under 10lbs of tension. I asked him to set mine a little tighter than spec, so he set it at 32mm. If you set it up like Randall has said you will not have any problems, adjust- rotate, adjust-rotate. They like a very slim gap to the inside of the wheel pulley.
Did they charge you to tighten the belt? Dean E

·
Original member / Distinguished
5,820 Posts
Does the belt stretch a lot from the delivery set up? In other words is it something that needs to be checked many times before first service?

·
Registered
2,543 Posts

--- Randall
I thought mine was loose from day one. Bought the manual and the tension gauge I will adjust it when it comes out in the spring. In the meantime. I will enjoy Jamaica then the Dominican. Then it will come out again

·
3,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Does the belt stretch a lot from the delivery set up? In other words is it something that needs to be checked many times before first service?
Took my bike back to the deal today. They adjusted the belt with no charge. I talked to the kid that worked on it. He does most of their Indian work and he stated this is pretty common to adjust this on the 500 mile inspection. A little stretch and the belt seating to the pulleys. I also had them check my oil drain plugs and make sure they would loosen up without any damage to the helicoils. Everything looked good. Dean E.

·
Registered
506 Posts
If it's like the Harley belt, you will need one adjustment after brake-in then should be good till you replace the tire...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Found this on another Indian forum site, which will help you adjust your own belt. The process isn't difficult, you will note the belt has to track in the center. However, the belt will move side to side when turning the tire. Therefore, you will have to mean its position and adjust slightly to ensure it doesn't ride on either side flange on the rear sprocket.

Attachments

·
Registered
93 Posts
Thank you for the pdf.

I tried to set the "rear wheel adjustment nut" but i can't find a correct size socket in my whole toolbox.
By me eyes it seems to be a 13mm nut, but this nut in a hole surrounded by the metal of the swingarm wich seems to be drilled at 18mm large.

None of my socket can enter in this 18mm hole to reach the "rear wheel adjustment nut" inside.
My 13mm (inner side) wrench are 19mm large on the outer side :-(

My questions are :
- What tool are you using for this nut ?
- What is the correct size of this tool (13mm ?)

[EDIT] : SOLUTION
It must be either :
- a 13mm long (not standard) and thin 1/4 socket
- or a 13mm "tube" wrench.
Both are less than 18mm on outter diameter.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts