Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

Chief won't go over 40 mph

3K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Dr.Shifty 
#1 ·
Just picked up a 2018 chief today, after my first 20 miles ride I have a check engine light and bike will not go over 40 mph. No problems prior to this. Dash code says NCK ENG. Please any help.

#2 ·
Just picked up a 2018 chief today, after my first 20 miles ride I have a check engine light and bike will not go over 40 mph. No problems prior to this. Dash code says NCK ENG. Please any help.
When you have the NCK ENG in the display ... keep pressing the left toggle switch for a few seconds!

You will get a code displayed!
(You could take a pic with your phone and post it here ...)

More can be said, once we know that code!

Sent from my SM-N976Q using Tapatalk

#3 ·
Cmoalem was faster than me.

Or, if bought from a dealer, bring it back and let them deal with it.

Cu,
Sven

#6 ·
Code 91 ... accelerator related (twistgrip)!

Has your bike a raised handlebar?
Might be a damaged Drive By Wire cable ... or in case of handlebar upgrade damage while pulling the wire through or while swapping the twistgrip assembly over.

Sent from my SM-N976Q using Tapatalk

Reactions: K9F
#7 ·
What circumstances does it do it?

The speed limit you mention sounds like it's going into limp mode. That's not uncommon but mostly happens when the bike is in a lower gear and under acceleration at high rpm and the rider is probably just about to change up. Think of the way we might join faster traffic as we come off an on-ramp.

If it's doing it constantly there is probably a deeper problem that needs to be checked by a dealer.

There is also a process of matching the throttle grip to the throttle body that a dealer can do. This will syncronise the two so the load request from the grip matches the motor end of things.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.