Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone explain the stages for the Chief Classic? I take it you have to go in order stage 1,2,3. However, it seems like there may be a few options. Obviously, I don’t know much about it. So I could just be looking at the wrong stuff. Either way, what have you all done? What’s best way to go about it?

·
Bronze member
2,221 Posts
Stage 1 : Air Cleaner, Exhaust (bolt ons without tearing into the engine)

Stage 2 : Stage 1 + stage 2 cam shafts (Indian or aftermarket)

Stage 3 : Stage 1 + 116 BBK + stage 3 cam shafts (some aftermarket stage 2 camshafts work well with 116 BBK, as do Indian stage 3 camshafts work very well on stage 1 TS111s! The indian stage 2 camshafts are of NO benefit here!)

All stages need a tune, either Indian (for strictly OEM upgrades) reflash ... or aftermarket (e.g. with a VP 3 flash programmer!)

The PV3 tunes are of great benefit even on stock (stage0) skoots!
Start there!

Sent from my SM-N976Q using Tapatalk

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Stage 1 : Air Cleaner, Exhaust (bolt ons without tearing into the engine)

Stage 2 : Stage 1 + stage 2 cam shafts (Indian or aftermarket)

Stage 3 : Stage 1 + 116 BBK + stage 3 cam shafts (some aftermarket stage 2 camshafts work well with 116 BBK, as do Indian stage 3 camshafts work very well on stage 1 TS111s! The indian stage 2 camshafts are of NO benefit here!)

All stages need a tune, either Indian (for strictly OEM upgrades) reflash ... or aftermarket (e.g. with a VP 3 flash programmer!)

The PV3 tunes are of great benefit even on stock (stage0) skoots!
Start there!

Sent from my SM-N976Q using Tapatalk
Awesome. Thank you for the information!

·
Registered
2018 Indian Chief
42 Posts
Awesome. Thank you for the information!
Fyi: The Indian "Stage 1" intake and "High-Flow" intake both include updated tuning. I went with the high-flow because the filter element is washable and for the classic look. The Stage 1 intake looks pretty cool, too, but I don't think the filter is washable.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fyi: The Indian "Stage 1" intake and "High-Flow" intake both include updated tuning. I went with the high-flow because the filter element is washable and for the classic look. The Stage 1 intake looks pretty cool, too, but I don't think the filter is washable.
I went with the high flow as well, for the same reason. Washable and I like the looks. I ended up punching out the plugs on my stock exhaust and did a PV3 tune. I got 2 different tunes from fuelmoto. I’m still trying to figure out which I like better. However, the bike seems to be running lean as my MPG has dropped from 40 down to 33

·
Registered
2018 Indian Chief
42 Posts
I went with the high flow as well, for the same reason. Washable and I like the looks. I ended up punching out the plugs on my stock exhaust and did a PV3 tune. I got 2 different tunes from fuelmoto. I’m still trying to figure out which I like better. However, the bike seems to be running lean as my MPG has dropped from 40 down to 33
I only did the intake and some slip-ons... 42 mpg so far after 1,000 miles or so (city riding mostly, one short trip but nothing long-distance).

·
Registered
901 Posts
That’s pretty low mileage and would mean your bike is running way rich. I’m getting 45 on mine at stage 1 with a fuel moto tune. If I’m accelerating hard and enjoying the bike I’ll be at 39-40. On my Roadmaster. So heavy!

Reactions: DiggersDad

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That’s pretty low mileage and would mean your bike is running way rich. I’m getting 45 on mine at stage 1 with a fuel moto tune. If I’m accelerating hard and enjoying the bike I’ll be at 39-40. On my Roadmaster. So heavy!
My thoughts exactly. I’m gonna put some more miles on it and see if it kind of evens out. If not, I’ll contact fuelmoto and see if there is a fix.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts