Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m thinking of buying a chief classic tomorrow. I may be overthinking it. However, living in Massachusetts and working in the Boston area, the traffic is pretty horrible. Morning and evening traffic is slow bumper to bumper. 90% of my ride is in this type of traffic. With how long and heavy the chief classic is, would this be manageable? Any one have experience riding in this type of traffic?

·
Registered
79 Posts
If manageable means can it be done? For sure it’s manageable. For me I don’t know if I would enjoy it. There’s times where I would feel happy riding to work in less traffic in the morning but end up regretting it when I go home when traffic is heavy and it’s 90 degrees especially after I went to the gym.

For others I’m sure that they would be fine with it or are used to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Rider
878 Posts
It's certainly possible - the clutch on the Thunderstroke bikes feels surprisingly light for such a big motor. Enjoyable? Not really - to me the bike feels as though she wants to pick up her skirts and run. At least, that's my take on it.

·
Registered
475 Posts
That is the main reason why I don't commute on my TS111. Since picking up my Scout Bobber, I am considering it, though. I'd want a liquid cooled, light weight bike for commuting. Maybe consider a Scout or a metric standard/naked bike for commuter duties.... YMMV....

·
Registered
478 Posts
Have 53,000 miles on my 2014 Classic and no problems with clutch and/or cable, but have heard of folks whose clutch cables have broken. I replaced mine with a Barnett clutch w/Kevlar plates and stainless cable when I upgraded to hi-performance cams, just in case. 90% stop and go traffic day in and day out, that's a lot of squeezing...

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Unfortunately, lane splitting is not legal. At least, as far as I know. Thank you all for your input. Much appreciated

·
Registered
488 Posts
Here in California we can lane split so anytime there is heavy traffic it's advantageous to ride a motorcycle. My Springfield works just fine under these conditions but if I know I'm going to be in heavy traffic and maybe heavy city traffic in San Francisco I find my Honda NC700x is the better tool.

·
Rider
1,284 Posts
I don’t see any bike being enjoyable in stop and go traffic.
Agree, but until I retired I rode back and forth to the office most days. Even a bad day riding was better than any day I was stuck in the POS Ford Ranger ! ! !

Since I only own one bike at a time, commuting on my DH Chieftain followed daily commuting on my Stratoliner which was preceded by my Road Star Silverado. NC does not have a law making lane splitting illegal, per se. But I never do it because I know that the idiotic drivers around me have never seen it and would, likely think that I was "cheating" and could, potentially, try to stop me with their vehicle.

So, @Crodgers211, you should be able to do it if you're comfortable riding a big bike, sometimes slowly, in traffic. Would it be easier on a smaller bike? Most likely. So, if you have the ability to own multiple bikes, that may be the better option. But, if like me, you can only have one at a time, you should still be in good shape.

Sounds like a bicycle is a good option lol
Now, I did use bike lanes periodically . . . .

BD

·
Rider
2019 Scout and Chieftain Classic both in Willow Green and Cream
690 Posts
I’m thinking of buying a chief classic tomorrow. I may be overthinking it. However, living in Massachusetts and working in the Boston area, the traffic is pretty horrible. Morning and evening traffic is slow bumper to bumper. 90% of my ride is in this type of traffic. With how long and heavy the chief classic is, would this be manageable? Any one have experience riding in this type of traffic?
I would say first off how tall are you, for me that's why i have a midsize also. My Scout and Yamaha V-star are great for commuting, with the 25in seat and 550lbs or so weight. I also have short legs.

·
Rider
690 Posts
Unfortunately, lane splitting is not legal. At least, as far as I know. Thank you all for your input. Much appreciated
only in California, but many studies show its safer than riding in traffic lanes. Other states should follow.

·
Rider
690 Posts
I am 5’8. I just took an Indian chief classic for a test ride and absolutely love it.
I'm 5-6, short legged, so i just barley sit flat footed on my chieftain. So don't have same control as a 5-8 person, so lots of stop and go is more of a pain for me. My scout having a more narrow seat and a inch lower makes a big difference.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm 5-6, short legged, so i just barley sit flat footed on my chieftain. So don't have same control as a 5-8 person, so lots of stop and go is more of a pain for me. My scout having a more narrow seat and a inch lower makes a big difference.
I was looking at the scouts. They are awesome bikes. However, I like bigger bikes. Plus something comfortable to ride back n forth from MA to NY

·
Rider
690 Posts
I was looking at the scouts. They are awesome bikes. However, I like bigger bikes. Plus something comfortable to ride back n forth from MA to NY
That's easy do as i did, one of each in matched colors.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts