Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Headed west Thursday morning to Robbinsville, NC for an overnight stay at TwoWheelInn.com ($70/night; adjoining motorcycle garage - cool place!) Friday morning I departed for an amazing ride on the Cherohala Skyway with stops at the Cherohala Skyway Visitor Center, and Ironworks Grill for lunch. Prior to reaching the Skyway I’d gassed up at Sunoco in Robbinsville and met another member on this forum from Alabama (didn’t get his name; member of a Christian Veteran group.) He was riding an 18 RoadMaster Elite and his buddy was on an older Harley - very nice guys!! All through the Skyway route I’d conversed with many friendly/interesting people (most motorcyclists; some in cars.) The Cherohala Skyway is a beautiful ride; will definitely return.

Note: I videotaped my route on the Skyway; will post here when edited.

Pictures below:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
320 Posts
In my back yard and I ride it a few times year. Probably my favorite ride in the south.
If you did not check out Joyce Kilmer Memorial Forest do so next trip, awesome view front the footbridge.

Sooo many wonderful roads in this area, Eastern Tenn, Western NC, North Georgia!

·
Bronze Member
2,208 Posts
The Skyway is pretty much my favorite road down there, longer and faster than the Dragon. Also try Wayah Road the next time you're there.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Headed west Thursday morning to Robbinsville, NC for an overnight stay at TwoWheelInn.com ($70/night; adjoining motorcycle garage - cool place!) Friday morning I departed for an amazing ride on the Cherohala Skyway with stops at the Cherohala Skyway Visitor Center, and Ironworks Grill for lunch. Prior to reaching the Skyway I’d gassed up at Sunoco in Robbinsville and met another member on this forum from Alabama (didn’t get his name; member of a Christian Veteran group.) He was riding an 18 RoadMaster Elite and his buddy was on an older Harley - very nice guys!! All through the Skyway route I’d conversed with many friendly/interesting people (most motorcyclists; some in cars.) The Cherohala Skyway is a beautiful ride; will definitely return.
Next time you go, check out The Lodge At Tellico. Really nice clean place and they offer garage parking.. IIRC, they also offer veteran's discounts and included breakfast in the morning.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
awesome riding there for sure. i be up that neck of woods next june. Always did it on a harley. next yr first time on the RM> Can't wait. o love those corners.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Since I am only about 3 1/2 hours away, I have ridden on this road several times. Scenery is spectacular, though you must be careful and not let it distract you. There are a few curves that will bite you if not paying full attention.
I would like to get in a ride up there before winter sets in, but I am waiting for this relentless heat wave to end.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Since I am only about 3 1/2 hours away, I have ridden on this road several times. Scenery is spectacular, though you must be careful and not let it distract you. There are a few curves that will bite you if not paying full attention.
I would like to get in a ride up there before winter sets in, but I am waiting for this relentless heat wave to end.
Up there last Friday , not much change in the colors yet. Back through the tail and lunch at Deal Gap. Very busy and yes oppressive heat. We've not see any measurable rainfall in the Tennessee Valley in over 30 days. Set another temp record in Knoxville Wednesday 96, felt like 99. 95 forecast for today. Next week looks to finally cool a bit, 80ish. I'll believe that when it actually happens.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I live 58 miles from the TN side of the Cherohala Skyway. I ride it often and have several loops that It is part of. Two weeks ago did the Sky to to the Tail of the Dragon and store in NC, then took mooonshiner 28 east to Hwy 74 which then I took west to the Natahala Recreation center on the river for lunch. Then continued west on 74 along the Ocoee river until I hit TN 30, and took that west to TN 315 north, to TN 39 back to Tellico plains, a great loop, lots of curves and good scenery.

·
Founding member / rider
893 Posts
I live 58 miles from the TN side of the Cherohala Skyway. I ride it often and have several loops that It is part of. Two weeks ago did the Sky to to the Tail of the Dragon and store in NC, then took mooonshiner 28 east to Hwy 74 which then I took west to the Natahala Recreation center on the river for lunch. Then continued west on 74 along the Ocoee river until I hit TN 30, and took that west to TN 315 north, to TN 39 back to Tellico plains, a great loop, lots of curves and good scenery.
You passed past my place on your trip, live in Ducktown. Sounds like you had a great trip.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I go through Ducktown about monthly, as HWY 68 from Tellico down is another good ride. We live in a very good area for riding.

·
Rider
710 Posts
1700 miles away in Wyoming and have ridden out there on 4 different motorcycles. Harley, Victory, Gold Wing and twice on the RM. Needless to say, one of my favorite areas to ride in.

Attachments

Reactions: Soldado

·
Registered
24 Posts
1700 miles away in Wyoming and have ridden out there on 4 different motorcycles. Harley, Victory, Gold Wing and twice on the RM. Needless to say, one of my favorite areas to ride in.
My favorite road is Beartooth pass from Red Lodge MT to Cody WY. I have been out west to ride it 4 times now, have also been out to ride Going to the Sun, which is 22400 miles from home. Been out to ride Million dollar Hwy in CO 4 times also. That said, its great to live in the area I do, thats why we Chose it when I retired from the Navy, CO, MT, WY were also in consideration.

·
Rider
710 Posts
My favorite road is Beartooth pass from Red Lodge MT to Cody WY. I have been out west to ride it 4 times now, have also been out to ride Going to the Sun, which is 22400 miles from home. Been out to ride Million dollar Hwy in CO 4 times also. That said, its great to live in the area I do, thats why we Chose it when I retired from the Navy, CO, MT, WY were also in consideration.
Bear Tooth, Chief Joseph Highway are 5 hrs from me, Glacier 800 miles, Million Dollar Highway 6hrs. I have a son in Louisville,Ky and another in Wilmington NC so pass through the Smokey Mt’s on the way out to the east coast. I love riding out east-south east, Civil War battlefields etc. I even get acclimated to the heat and humidity after awhile. I get out to the Pacific Coast every summer and the desert Southwest when I can. This was my riding last summer:

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
We have rode the southwest the last two summers. Utah, AZ, NM and West TX. Beautiful area, loved what was old AZ 666, now I believe its US 191 from Morenci AZ to Springerville, 120 miles of desolate mountain road with never ending curves. Escalante staircase in UT is also an excellent road

1 - 16 of 16 Posts