Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my 2017chief vintage new and have never been able to get and accurate reading on the oil dipstick. I just did my 5000 mile oil change and know that I have 5 and 1/2 qts of oil in it but yet it doesnt read on the stick....can anyone help me.

·
Vendor / bronze
2,849 Posts
This is a common issue. People will tell you all day to check it this way or that way, follow the manual exactly. But no matter what it too easy to get an inaccurate reading. The only good answer is to put 5.5 its in and go ride. Don't worry about oil loss between changes unless you see Harley patch on your garage floor. I know Harley owners are people too.

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
Many many posts and discussions here on this already... But, in a nutshell, just go with the 5 1/2 qts and you are good to go. Bike must be upright, oil must be freshly circulated (by running the engine 10 minutes or so). You are going to have some issues until you figure out a consistent routine that gets you consistent results, many of us faced the same questions when we started out with these bikes. Not a fabulous oil level measuring system.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is a common issue. People will tell you all day to check it this way or that way, follow the manual exactly. But no matter what it too easy to get an inaccurate reading. The only good answer is to put 5.5 its in and go ride. Don't worry about oil loss between changes unless you see Harley patch on your garage floor. I know Harley owners are people too.
thanks so much....I appreciate that info....I just dont see oil on stick

·
German rider
639 Posts
Sometimes after ride I shut off engine, pull gloves, hang away the helmet and then open the filler hole... see the oil below the threads and everything is fine.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I bought my 2017chief vintage new and have never been able to get and accurate reading on the oil dipstick. I just did my 5000 mile oil change and know that I have 5 and 1/2 qts of oil in it but yet it doesnt read on the stick....can anyone help me.
I was very frustrated checking the oil on my 2017 Vintage as well and i am sure its the same for all TS 111's. Heres what you have to do 1. The mist be Hot not warm, 2. It must be sittind level. 3. Remove the stick. Wipe iit off and screw it all the way in and then remove it again. You should get a reading them, however the stick is confusing it has an add and a full line. Indian says its ok above the "Add" and between the "Add and "Full" be carefull not to overfill it. when i change my oil and put 5.5 qts in it the stick said it was just a tad above the add so i put aout a 1/2 qt which made it read just slight amount above 1/2 way between the add and full. I put a Indian oil cooler on mine and it takes 6 qts to get it in the middle of the add and full on the stick. Let me say again it has to be hot to get an accurate reading. While i am talking about this i use only 20w40 Indian oil and filters. this oil is a Semi synthetic oil. I buy the oil change kit and an extra qt. I am a Automobile Instructor and Master Certified and be in auto repair for over 40 years and i use Wix filters on on my vehicke and Valvoline oil. I allways lean to a higher viscosity oil than recommended by car manufacturers and i want to use a Wix filter and at least a full synthetic 15w50 oil but i am trying to stay with Indian / Polaris on there recommendation of 20w40. The Indian website under maintenance says their 15W60 oil can be useed in any Indian engine however my dealer says they only put the Indian 20w40 in the TS 111. I would like to know the absolutely 100% the 20w 40 semi is the best way to go for the TS111. They must know something about their engine we mere mortals dont.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I was very frustrated checking the oil on my 2017 Vintage as well and i am sure its the same for all TS 111's. Heres what you have to do 1. The engine must be hot not warm, 2. It must be sitting level. 3. Remove the stick, Wipe iit off and screw it all the way in and then remove it again. You should get a reading them, however the stick is confusing it has an add and a full line. Indian says its ok above the "Add" and between the "Add and "Full" be carefull not to overfill it. when i change my oil and put 5.5 qts in it the stick said it was just a tad above the add so i put about a 1/2 qt more in which made it read just slightly above 1/2 way between the add and full. I put a Indian oil cooler on mine and it takes 6 qts to get it in the middle of the add and full on the stick. Let me say again it has to be hot to get an accurate reading. While i am talking about this i use only 20w40 Indian oil and filters. this oil is a Semi synthetic oil. I buy the oil change kit and an extra qt. I am a Automobile Instructor and Master Certified and been in auto repair for over 40 years and i use Wix filters on all my vehicke and Valvoline oil. I allways lean to a higher viscosity oil than recommended by car manufacturers and i want to use a Wix filter and at least a full synthetic 15w50 V twin air cool oil but i am trying to stay with Indian / Polaris on there recommendation of 20w40. The Indian website under maintenance says their 15W60 oil can be useed in any Indian engine however my dealer says they only put the Indian 20w40 in the TS 111. I would like to know the absolutely 100% the 20w 40 semi is the best way to go for the TS111. They must know something about their engine we mere mortals dont.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I had the same issue with the dipstick on my Road Star. I haven't bothered to check levels either on my '17 Vintage and just dump in 5.5 quarts at the change. I went with the Indian oil using the 111 kit. Maybe some of the aftermarket dipsticks read correctly but then again I'd rather just ride it and enjoy it.

·
Registered
593 Posts
A big improvement is a metal dipstick. It makes is a lot easier to see the oil line on a natural finish steel dipstick than on that black plastic dipstick. However, mine has an aluminum cap which gets very HOT to the touch.

After being raised on a farm with a father who is a stickler when it comes to maintenance, I find it difficult to "just dump in 5.5 qts and ride" but the longer I have the bike the easier it is to follow that mantra.

I have the procedure for checking oil on a note in my cell phone. Indian: blah blah blah. XR650L: blah blah blah. Moto Guzzi: blah blah blah. Shovelhead: blah balh blah. They are all different procedures re hot, cold, let sit 53.5 sec, dipstick screwed in, dipstick screwed out, dipstick screwed in 1 turn. I miss the days of my old Z1 with a sight glass, check it cold and level.

·
Registered
133 Posts
This
Sometimes after ride I shut off engine, pull gloves, hang away the helmet and then open the filler hole... see the oil below the threads and everything is fine.
is exactly what my Indian mechanic told me to do and I like to think he should know!

·
Registered
188 Posts
I just changed the oil in my 15 vintage after 2000 miles.. I did the oil change before that with 5.5 quarts. Mine never shows on the dipstick at all. warm or cold or 45 seconds after shut down or anytime for that matter. Anyway 5.5 came out and 5.5 when in. Why they even bothered with a dipstick is beyond me.

·
Bronze member
3,652 Posts
To check the oil properly, BTW I have demonstrated this to several of the riders in the group to their distain.

it takes on average 60 to 90 seconds for someone to pull the dip stick, wipe it clean, put it back in again and pull it. So if you are waiting 45 to 60 seconds or whatever, you have actually waited too long.

pull the stick immediately after shutdown, and you will see oil.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts