Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently brought my new Chieftan home the 56 miles from the dealer. Got a short ride in the other day with a break in the crummy weather here. In checking the oil level now, it reads right at the bottom ("add" line). I find it hard to believe that it came from the factory/dealer prep one qt low.

I suspect that the low reading might be due to my inability to get the dipstick unscrewed, cleaned off, re-seated fully, and then pulled back out for a reading within the one minute of engine shutdown specified in the owners' manual. I presume that while I'm fumbling with that process the oil is draining back down into the sump showing me a false reading at the "add" line.

I certainly don't want to add a quart of oil to an already full sump.

Has anyone experienced the same issue?

Thanks.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Yes. I just loosen the plug. Then go through the process. It will come out easily for the check. I guessing the oil level is fine. I did have the same issue you are having. Quite a process for checking oil.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Yes. I just loosen the plug. Then go through the process. It will come out easily for the check. I guessing the oil level is fine. I did have the same issue you are having. Quite a process for checking oil.
i experienced the same thing, however I was not following the proper procedure for checking the oil level. If you follow the procedure outlined in the owners manual to a "T" you will have a different level reading.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Yes i noted the same. I had everything ready to go and i even had the bike levelled ( best i could). Try again MDHawk2

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. Makes me feel a lot better. I'll keep working at it.

·
Banned
1,841 Posts
When I picked my Chieftain up, they told me to buy an extra quart of oil because they experienced oil consumtion in the first 500 miles. I got home (20 miles), and checked the oil and it was low about a quart. Personally I think the service department is at fault and not properly checking the oil level. I have not experienced any oil consumption since.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
When I picked my Chieftain up, they told me to buy an extra quart of oil because they experienced oil consumtion in the first 500 miles. I got home (20 miles), and checked the oil and it was low about a quart. Personally I think the service department is at fault and not properly checking the oil level. I have not experienced any oil consumption since.
I think Polaris could have come up with a better procedure for checking the oil

·
Registered
335 Posts
I've had many engines in my life but have never checked one like this. It works though if you follow explicit instructions. I think it is because of the one fill/one drain concept.

·
Registered
419 Posts
For a finely engineered machine as these are, checking the oil is a pain in the ass!!
I had a Triumph with the same one fill/ drain system but it was very easy, could check hot or cold. The only issue with it was the dip stick and fill were level with the case just had to be sure to clean very well before removing.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
When I purchased my Chieftain, I had the prep-wrench take me through the process of checking everything. I do that to make sure they did their job. When properly warmed, balanced, and checked....it was a 0.5 qts low. Had them fill it and go through the process again and everything was proper. At the 500 mi checkup...it was still proper...perhaps a 0.1 qts low. They changed the oil and the next time they saw it was at 5038 miles. It was less then 0.25 qts low. BTW...that was after a 3300 mile ride. Get to know your scoot and you will be fine. Make the dealership do their job and you won't have to do it for them.

Semper Fi,

·
Read Only
6,804 Posts
my bmw with remote sump uses the same procedure, its the nature of the beast. the indian has an internal remote sump.

·
Registered
13 Posts
the oil level check is like a puzzle, warm up the bike, within a minute, stand it straight up and check the level. Tell me Gents, how fun is it to stand a 900 lb Road master up straight and pull the dip stick at the same time? Its like sitting on the toilet and reaching into your bedroom for the toilet paper. I have a motorcycle jack so I slide it under and just jack it up enough to level the bike but ask me how I did this in Brookings Oregon last week? My riding partner held up the bike level while I checked it. A two person job, Really? I'm certain this could of been engineered better

·
Registered
7,995 Posts
I actually warm mine up for 3 minutes before shutting motor down, have the kickstand sitting on a 2x4 so it is near level and then check the oil using the convenient dipstick from Aeromach, works great for me on my Chieftain.

-

Live Free and Die Well
Texas Hill Country - Wimberley
2015 Indian Blue & Ivory Chieftain

·
Registered
546 Posts
I had to have the wife check the oil level while I held the bike up, what a pain.i put in the 5 1/2 qts ,the oil Level was at the low end of the dipstick?Also you can't get the last 1/2 qt of oil in the with the bike on the kickstand.

·
Banned
1,841 Posts
I think the reason they want you to check the oil level when the oil is warmed up is because synthetic oils expand more than dino oils.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Took delivery of my Chief Vintage on 8-1-16, today I got around to checking over my bike and making sure things are OK. First I checked the tire pressures. They were reading 30lbs in both tires so i aired them up to 36 frt and 40 back. Next I cranked her up and ran it for ten minutes to get to operating tempurature. Shut it down waited the 1 min pulled the dipstick in the upright position and quess what, no oil on the dipstick. So i started up again and let it run 10 min again. Shut it down waited the 1 min and pulled the dip stick wiped it off and reinserted it. Guess what - no oil on the dipstick. Got on the phone with service and they gave me a big run around, they finally sent a tech to my house. He went thru the same procedure and got the same results. He added 1 qt and brought it up to just above the add mark. He tells me the master tech has told them not to add oil from the factory. Hole Shot Motorsports in Fleming Island, Fl and me are not going to get along with this kind of predelivery procedures. Word to the wise check your oil per indian instructions. Ride Safe

·
Founding member
950 Posts
Make sure your bike is a full operating temp before checking. I don't check oil until after riding at least a few miles. Check mine while sitting on the bike. Easier to keep level. Have yet to add oil between 5000 mile changes. Or see oil leaking anywhere. After riding a AMF shovelhead for 20 years. That leaked oil like the Exxon Valdez.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Tire pressures low, low on oil....Did the master tech tell them not to air up the tires too?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts