Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new 2021 scout 60 bobber, and the engine light came on today once I stopped riding. I do not see on the digital display Chck Eng. I was not able to retrieve a code. I have ridden it four or five time for very short periods. Today was a longer ride in some traffic for about 2 hours in 84 degree heat.
Can anyone explain how to get the error? What may have caused it?
I was not riding above 1/3 throttle and typical stop and go between 30 and 45 miles an hour.
There is 70 miles on the bike.

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
I don't know what the display on the newer Scouts is, but did you stop the bike by kicking out the sidestand with the bike in gear? Indian bikes register that as a fault and perhaps it turns on the warning light.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know what the display on the newer Scouts is, but did you stop the bike by kicking out the sidestand with the bike in gear? Indian bikes register that as a fault and perhaps it turns on the warning light.
Thanks for posting, I did not drop the kickstand to stop the engine.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have a new 2021 scout 60 bobber, and the engine light came on today once I stopped riding. I do not see on the digital display Chck Eng. I was not able to retrieve a code. I have ridden it four or five time for very short periods. Today was a longer ride in some traffic for about 2 hours in 84 degree heat.
I was not riding above 1/3 throttle and typical stop and go between 30 and 45 miles an hour.
I have a new 2021 Springfiled and while out on my first real ride I also had a check engine line come on. I brought it in for service and it turns out it was a heat sensor that impacted the flow of fuel as it was not sensing the correct engine temperature. So far since the sensor has been changed the check engine light has not come back on. The bike seems to be running better as well. Best to have it check out. Let us know.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The issue has now disappeared two days after. They said to bring it in next time. Their initial though was was an oxygen sensor. I live in Denver and it has been smokey from the fires. Since the code is gone they are going to try and look it up, I mentioned it was. 523

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
523 is Gear Sensor Signal, but unless it's a new addition the Scout does not have one. It has a neutral light switch that the manual calls a gear indicator switch.

If you have a gear indicator readout on the dash, that's what it would relate to.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I saw some posts on that too. I was not 100 percent on the code. When I go for the 500 mile pit stop I will ask what the code was and update this post.
I appreciate all the follow up and hope to do the same.

·
Registered
3 Posts
If you cant find anything try tightening the battery cables ,that happend with my RM.

·
Registered
21 Posts
If a check engine light came on it should be logged in the computer. I have gotten check engine lights for loose battery cables, and high revs. When I shut off the bike it goes away. But mine is a 2016 scout.

·
Rider
1,539 Posts
523 is Gear Sensor Signal, but unless it's a new addition the Scout does not have one. It has a neutral light switch that the manual calls a gear indicator switch.

If you have a gear indicator readout on the dash, that's what it would relate to.
Hey @Dr.Shifty, would this be the same for a Chieftain? I was headed up to Maggie Valley today and the engine light came on and there was a 3 digit code. When I stopped to take picture of the display, even though I was in neutral, when I put the kickstand down the engine cut off and the original code was replaced with one for kickstand in gear. I had noticed that, for long stretches, whe I was in 3rd it would display 4th. So, even though it was "fixed" under the recall, I was going to get them to check it again when I go in for my 45K service.

BD

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hey Dredge, did they ever find what the problem was? I also have a brand new 2021 bobber and the same chk engine light had come on a couple times.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey Dredge, did they ever find what the problem was? I also have a brand new 2021 bobber and the same chk engine light had come on a couple times.
No,bwhen I brought it in at 500 miles they didn't find any code or that the light even come on. It has happened a couple times since and goes away after a day or two.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts