Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm attempting to not overreact yet. First of all thank you all for any help...
I had my brake and clutch levers painted. I started my bike this morning and a check engine light came on.
2 things I notice that really indicate it's the clutch
•when attempting to start in 1st gear with the clutch in the bike does nothing
•when using cruise, I hit the clutch and it does not disengage Cruse like it's supposed to

Please help, where is this clutch sensor? Maybe it's slightly tight?

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
1,248 Posts
If you go to settings in ride command it'll show you the errors. (I forget the exact screen.) Those could be helpful in diagnosing. I believe there's a switch that is triggered by your clutch, that's probably where the error is.

·
Bronze member
4,126 Posts
I'm attempting to not overreact yet. First of all thank you all for any help...
I had my brake and clutch levers painted. I started my bike this morning and a check engine light came on.
2 things I notice that really indicate it's the clutch
•when attempting to start in 1st gear with the clutch in the bike does nothing
•when using cruise, I hit the clutch and it does not disengage Cruse like it's supposed to

Please help, where is this clutch sensor? Maybe it's slightly tight?

Might have damaged the clutch switch is what is seems like. It is in the clutch lever attachment, its a small micro switch that can be easily damaged. There is a small metal tab that contacts the switch through the clutch lever, and many times those get bent, some had had success of bending the tab back. These are the same clutch levers and switch cubes that are on all 2018+ Chieftains and Roadmasters. Do a search on Clutch switch here and you will get ton of hits.

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
I'm with Baron88 - you might have some overspray in there that is clogging up the movement.

This is what it looks like, part 4

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
1,248 Posts
Awesome! What did the issue end up being?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I took the clutch off...played around with the switch and it just started working as intended. I'll run with it! The light went off about 5 miles of riding

·
Registered
603 Posts
Glad for you Matt.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts