Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Bronze member
2,011 Posts
Display toggle switch to CK ENG and hold toggle switch.

Reactions: Max Iddles

·
Registered
382 Posts
I have an 18 Rm that I bought new last july. I had the exact same problem and posted the results in this forum. But basically I sometines showed a code and sometimes it didnt. After so many cycles of the ignition. It will reset. The dealership could not get the codes from the bike even when they were displaying. After much frustration they finally removed and cleaned the gear shift sensor and I have not had a problem since oct 2019. I have almost 5k miles now. But still need to do the recall for the gear shift sensor. My shifter felt soft in first gear before they worked on it. After 1st gear is solid on bottom. Not sure that is relevant but it could be. Good luck. Hope this helps

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have an 18 Rm that I bought new last july. I had the exact same problem and posted the results in this forum. But basically I sometines showed a code and sometimes it didnt. After so many cycles of the ignition. It will reset. The dealership could not get the codes from the bike even when they were displaying. After much frustration they finally removed and cleaned the gear shift sensor and I have not had a problem since oct 2019. I have almost 5k miles now. But still need to do the recall for the gear shift sensor. My shifter felt soft in first gear before they worked on it. After 1st gear is solid on bottom. Not sure that is relevant but it could be. Good luck. Hope this helps
I appreciate you taking time out of your day. The lights came on while riding. When I called the shop, they implied it might be an easy fix and then back pedalled and suggested I bring it in. They said it could be a wire that was rubbing against the back tire.

·
Registered
382 Posts
No telling for sure. Lots of people recomended that I check my battery connection. I removed the bags, trunk, side covers and seat. They were tight. I took them apart and used thread locker to not have that become a problem. But the problem persisted. However I was grateful for all the recomendations anyway. Because I had to keep going back to the dealership and they really didnt know what to do, eventually I got really aggravated and had to raise myvlevel of irritation in the shop talking to the owner. This all got resolved like 3 days before. Y trip to hot springs. In the end they got me taken care of. It is just seems difficult for then to schedule the work well. Maybe they do and there just is alot more work than I expect to be going through the shop.

·
Bronze member
2,011 Posts
The check engine is no longer showing. I first toggled it while riding. It won't show up again.
Yours shows the gear shift indicator so must not be the first model year(s).
Some of the first Scouts had a problem with the rear fender wires to the lights getting hit by the rear tire.
You would probably be able to see that happening by using a flashlight under there.

Mine did the same check engine plus chassis light a couple times. However in my case I think it was because of a bad positive wire splice off of the battery. The bullet connector there wasn’t making good contact and had been overheating, I replaced it with soldered wire.

Like yours I wasn’t able to retrieve a code on it.
I have a Dynojet PV-CX (discontinued and now called PV3) which is capable of reading stored codes but it also wouldn’t show it in the code history.
However the dealerships have their own way of getting those codes, so that would be your best bet.

Reactions: Kevin2020
1 - 7 of 7 Posts