Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just received 500 miles service last Saturday. This morning, on the way to work, check engine light came on. It was only a mile from the house, so I made U-turn and switched with a car.
I turned the engine off and on once, but still engine check light was on. I called dealership which is about 20 miles from the house on the way to work. Service dept said call towing company and bring it back to the dealership for a check-up.
Do I need to tow the bike? On the way to the house, the bike seems running ok.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Go to the diagnostic page on the display and see what error code (if any) the bike is saying is wrong. Could be the gear position sensor, or a number of other things.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh. Ok. I didn't know that I can see the error code from the ride command display.
I will do check it when I get home.
Thank you

·
Registered
83 Posts
Mine popped up from the gear position sensor. I think it went away after maybe 3 engine on/off cycles. I'm taking my bike in tomorrow and will mention the issue.

·
Registered
171 Posts
If the check engine light is orange it's usually a minor fault not worth towing for, if it's red on the other hand stop riding it. Like has been said before check the diagnostic screen it might tell you what it is.

·
Diamond member
9,096 Posts
Oddly mine did the same thing at around your mileage. Hasn't been back since. Like was mentioned, it went away after 3 cycles. Never looked into it as its own issue.
I don't really expect a breaking in machine to be completely hiccup free though so that's why the apathy in my case.

But to your question ride it and keep an eye on the vitals.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you Sullaha for the information. I didn't know there are red and orange. I really need to read the manual.
I checked diagnosis screen and it was no information on the screen.
NoW warning light is gone.
Strange. Morning was on. 10 min ago was on. Now gone.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Quite likely it was the gear position sensor, or another input that is no longer misbehaving. The dealer will see an error count when they connect their Polaris Digital Wrench, while the error no longer displays for the rider.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you all for the information. Told Dealership that warning light is gone. They said just bring a bike anytime and they will check anyway.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I had the "check engine" light two times already, for different reasons, just switched off and on again and monitored the diagnostic messages. It disappeared after a few starts. Of course all cases are different, but now I'm not worried when it comes.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I had the "check engine" light two times already, for different reasons, just switched off and on again and monitored the diagnostic messages. It disappeared after a few starts. Of course all cases are different, but now I'm not worried when it comes.
There is a method of cycling the key and the run switch to reset the CEL on most Indian models, I used this method when my FTR had a CEL for throttle position error that it had within the first 500 miles. The reset method works like this:

Reset Error / Trouble Codes:
Ignition Key (IK) OFF
Kill Switch (KS) OFF
Turn IK ON
Turn KS ON
Fuel pump will cycle
Turn KS OFF
Turn IK OFF
Wait 10 seconds

Repeat sequence another three (3) times ...... That’s four (4) times in total.

At the fourth (4th) time, start the bike after the fuel pump has cycled.
Run the engine for 30 seconds, then shut down normally.
Most (if not all) codes should have cleared to the historic memory.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have found that my check engine light comes on with the same gear sensor error after connecting my phone to the USB port. This is after the TFT seems to have issues booting up by either taking a while, or going through a couple of cycles to finally get to the main screen.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I've had the check engine lite on several times.....
1) when i picked the bike up brand new; went off after several starting cycles
2) when i WFO once; the bike also shut down. Let it rest for a minute, started and it went out.
3) Gear position sensor went out, rode it to the dealer and he warranty repaired.
If the lite comes on, but the motor is running ok, i would not worry too much. Life was so much simpler before engine computers..........

·
Rider
1,203 Posts
I've had the check engine lite on several times.....
1) when i picked the bike up brand new; went off after several starting cycles
2) when i WFO once; the bike also shut down. Let it rest for a minute, started and it went out.
3) Gear position sensor went out, rode it to the dealer and he warranty repaired.
If the lite comes on, but the motor is running ok, i would not worry too much. Life was so much simpler before engine computers..........
Had you replaced the 10A circuit breakers before the bike cut out as described in #2?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Not yet, I live in NE ohio, and my large bird is in storage at the local MC emporium. Soon as the temp climbs to 50.
So that was a symptom of the circuit breaker recall?

·
Rider
1,203 Posts
Not yet, I live in NE ohio, and my large bird is in storage at the local MC emporium. Soon as the temp climbs to 50.
So that was a symptom of the circuit breaker recall?
The engine cutting out unexpectedly is known problem of defective circuit breakers. Polaris has a website to check your VIN to see if it is part of the production run with the bad breakers.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts