Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.

I've stored my scout in a dry and warm garage over the winter. I've started it once a month and when I went to start it today I got the 520200 code wich I've googled is the tip over error code. To my knowledge the bike hasn't been tipped over. Will the e Key/ignition cycling method for reseting just remove the code or will it fix it? Now it won't start. So sad and hopefully one of you can help!

·
Banned
4,925 Posts
Sorry, I don't know if cycling the key/ignition will do anything. But if bike starts/runs ok and the oil level is good, I'd just hop on and ride it.

·
Banned
4,925 Posts
In that case I don't know what to suggest. Wish I could help. Hopefully one of the more knowledgeable members will see this thread and chime in.

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
The tip over sensor might have triggered somehow. Try rocking the bike sideways a few times to see if it picks up that the bike is upright.

If a few cycles of the ignition does not clear the problem, disconnect the battery for a minute to reset the computer.

When you try to start it, does the dash etc come on? Is the fuel pump cycling up? Do things like blinkers and horn work?

When a code clears and the bike starts up again, the code generally gets moved from 'current' to 'historic' in the computer. Some codes build up in history to some preset number of occurences and alert the service dept when they connect to the bike. I don't know how the tip over codes behave in this respect.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My horn has never worked. I bought it used. I've tried rocking and leaning it to both sides. Fuel pump is cycling up. I've tried turning the ignition several times. Dash and everything there is fine. But my blinkers are blinking in the warning pattern. All at the same time. I will try to disconnect the battery and see if that does it. Just disconnecting either plus or minus is enough? And thank you so much :)

·
Registered
563 Posts
Good to hear it's fixed.
By the way, the problem w/the horn might be the same issue I just had. Partially disassemble the handlebar switch housing and spray electrical contact cleaner in the horn switch to remove corrosion (or do it the right way and completely disassemble/clean contacts).

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
Disconnecting the battery did the trick! But is this something I should have looked at? Have my service in a few weeks. Thanks again :)
Disconnecting the battery can fix a lot of weird stuff.
The hazard lights is part of the tip over system. When you get bored enough with the stay-at-home stuff you might like to put the bike on the lawn and tip it over just to see what happens. But you probably won't. :)

The dealer might not find out why it started to play up if he goes looking at the next service, perhaps there was a rodent that chewed a wire somewhere and caused it. Canbus electrics can be very sensitive.

A note of caution about cleaning out the horn switch. There will be a spring in there that does not want you to open up the inner workings. When they jump out they go into a black hole or somewhere, never to be seen again. Opening the case and spraying contact cleaner into the workings is a safer way to proceed.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My heated handles also stopped working after a rain storm last year. Any tips? All this help is awesome. I've ridden for ten years but on a yamaha that never had a problem so that's why I'm asking all these dumb questions.

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
I don't know where the switch for heated grips is on the Scout (my Scout didn't have them). But first port of call is to check the contacts. Even a bit of water can close down the canbus brain.

Some things on canbus bikes have fuses, but not many. They tend to fuse the control unit rather than each component. You might need to chase it up with the dealer if you can't identify a dedicated fuse.

Your Yamaha might have been built before everyone went to canbus electrics, the old bikes were less sensitive to minor voltage drops that can happen when water invades a switch.

·
Bronze member
1,457 Posts
Buy a can of Tri flow aerosol spray. (About $8) Put on the red noodle and stick it in at every switch. Spray while working the switch back/forth or up/down ,what ever. Spray untill it runs out of the switch. It won’t harm paint. But don’t let it sit and get between the rubber grip and handlebar. You don’t want your grip coming off. This stuff is a dielectric spray ,lubricant, and contains Teflon. It improves contacts surfaces, cleans up carbon spots, etc. worth a try. Has fixed a lot of these kind of problems over the yrs. NOT to be confused w/WD-40. It may or may not work where the Tri flow being of /has dielectric properties.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts