Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought my bike in March,
love the ride, chrome and styling except for those cheap ass plastic side covers Polaris has decided to add on. Do any of you have alternative options other than plastic??

·
Registered
130 Posts
I find the plastic to be good in order to flex them alittle to remove and install around the passenger foot pegs

·
Texas Hill Country
4,697 Posts
love the ride, chrome and styling except for those cheap ass plastic side covers Polaris has decided to add on. Do any of you have alternative options other than plastic??
All this time I was thinking that they were Authentic Plastic side covers held on by Genuine Rubber grommets.

·
Registered
65 Posts
You lost me. The side covers blend in with rear fender perfectly. what do you suggest? most new motorcycle have plastic side covers. Harley included, don't sweat the small stuff.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Go to the dealer and find out how much one costs. It certainly isn't cheap!

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
The first time I took it off I thought " plastic really" but no one really cares or has ever said any about them. Most people just stare at the over a great bike.
Like the saying goes only your mechanic knows the truth or was that hairdresser

·
Banned
7,192 Posts
Kiwi Indian is a company that makes and sells parts, engines for the original Indians.
I believe you can build a complete bike.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2,041 Posts
Good morning All,
I understand the reasons for using plastic parts on modern vehicles: weight savings, ease of manufacturing complex shapes, economy... but as a sometime restorer of ancient heaps, I've wondered what future restorers would encounter with these vehicles. After all, plastic eventually becomes brittle and cracks; I have a couple of pick-up trucks dating from the '90s whose dash boards have cracked into several pieces under the daily ravages of the desert sun. Where would replacement plastic come from? The answer my friends is in the development of 3-D printers! For a rather small investment, 3-D printers that can manufacture complex ABS plastic parts from a digital file are readily available, additionally, if you don't want to mess with it yourself, entreprenuers in many cities have opened shop who will print up whatever you've got a file for. My bet is that 30 years from now, when your great-grand-kid is restoring your vintage 2014 Indian, they'll just down-load a file for the needed plastic bit and print it up.
--- Randall

·
Registered
160 Posts
Randall, I bet you are correct. In 5 years we may be doing that..

And that is a good tip Wannabe.

I don't have a problem with the plastic material but that they are so poorly molded. They don't fill the gap or hide the frame.

$20 of black fringe at the Tandy Leathers store fixed that.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts