Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
with the supply and quality control issues Polaris are facing with the scout ,would it be fair to say that the bike is to cheap.If you have a look at what else is on the market ,with this unique design heritage of the indian name.The price in the states is very cheap by Australia standards they are $17995.00 or there abouts here and over $20,000 in New Zealand

·
Registered
748 Posts
with the supply and quality control issues Polaris are facing with the scout ,would it be fair to say that the bike is to cheap.If you have a look at what else is on the market ,with this unique design heritage of the indian name.The price in the states is very cheap by Australia standards they are $17995.00 or there abouts here and over $20,000 in New Zealand
I have not heard about a widespread quality issues and I feel so far the the numbers are low on a per units for a new product. My Scout is relatively flawless. Guess you have never owned a BMW on the first year of release. I would also use inexpensive instead of cheap. All of my other bikes are two to three times the cost of the scout. The scout has a great build quality for the price.

The bigger issue are the growing pains of new company with product demands. Hopefully, they can fix these issues quickly.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Only quality issues I have heard about are with paint runs. Most other complaints are items not included on the bikes that people want...tach, etc. The biggest oversite I have heard about involves the kickstand not locking and allowing the bike to roll forward and collapse the kickstand. That should be like that no matter the price of the bike.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The scout I looked at in Brisbane Australia ,quality issues that I saw were to do with chrome with very fine bubbles in the surface, and the paint issue on the tank that has already been documented on other threads .the point I was try to make was that compared to say Honda where they can pump out a zillion bike over night , the scout is still by Honda standards still a bespoke operation at a bargain price or very inexpensive .this bike Is within the reach of a lot of very normal people .so we can have a long awaited dream of owning something very special .

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
[QUOTE=" a lot of very normal people .[/QUOTE]

Really. I am saved. I thought I was quite normal. The voices have been wrong.:p

·
Registered
506 Posts
I truly believe that the world has been waiting for a second coming. It came as an Indian and boy, have we been waiting. Something new and fresh.....

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Easily fixed; leave the bike on 1st gear...
I live in the mountains and have to do that anyway. A lot of flatlanders buy these bikes not realizing the standard of locking kickstands isn't a standard on all machines. I was simply reiterating other complaints I had read and heard.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2,354 Posts
I live in the mountains and have to do that anyway. A lot of flatlanders buy these bikes not realizing the standard of locking kickstands isn't a standard on all machines. I was simply reiterating other complaints I had read and heard.
I see an un-tapped market for someone like Paul from Aeromach to make some money. Shouldn't be rocket science to design a new kickstand that works better.

·
Registered
101 Posts
We or most of my motorcycle owner friends in Calif usually put our motorcycle/s in first gear and push the bike forward till it can't go any further in first gear than we put the kick stand down and the reason for that is we live in earth quake country and if you have a earth quake and you do not do like I did above some times your motorcycle gets pushed around from the quake causing the stand to fold under and your motorcycle falling down.

·
Founding member
1,068 Posts
We or most of my motorcycle owner friends in Calif usually put our motorcycle/s in first gear and push the bike forward till it can't go any further in first gear than we put the kick stand down and the reason for that is we live in earth quake country and if you have a earth quake and you do not do like I did above some times your motorcycle gets pushed around from the quake causing the stand to fold under and your motorcycle falling down.
It's always something. Happy to be reminded that it's not always blue skies and great riding weather in California. Sometimes the earth just jumps around for no good reason. It's still better than 4 months of cold and snow.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi Darren, as another Aussie I thought the Scout was priced well for what you get. It is the basic bike no pillion or anything else. I had a quote run up for the Scout with pillion seat, pegs, backrest, pannier bags, highway bars and stage 1 exhaust. Was nearly $23K. The basic set up was comparable to some of the HD sportsters I was also looking at but just fell in love with the Scout once I saw it and sat on it. Anyway we don't want them to put the price up. I'm waiting until they arrive and I can ride one. Hopefully before winter.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Price point the third rail of marketing, price to high and all the product in the world starts collecting dust. Price it to low and the bean counters start dusting off their adding machines and show you how soon you will be out of business. The launch of any product is always a balancing act. The one advantage to embracing the scout early is, even with growing pains the price of entry will be far lower then when the high rollers discover the game is on.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Considering the price points of the bigger Victory bikes like the Gunner and Vegas that I view as competition to the smaller engine and lighter Scout I really dont expect much price change.

They really need to build the Indian following and pricing it out of many peoples hands would be a mistake. You can already get more bike for less in the sport bike arena and the Scout is fairly basic for features as is. Build the brand up Indian by expanding the number of people out there riding it....get too greedy and you will not make serious inroads against HD.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi Darren, as another Aussie I thought the Scout was priced well for what you get. It is the basic bike no pillion or anything else. I had a quote run up for the Scout with pillion seat, pegs, backrest, pannier bags, highway bars and stage 1 exhaust. Was nearly $23K. The basic set up was comparable to some of the HD sportsters I was also looking at but just fell in love with the Scout once I saw it and sat on it. Anyway we don't want them to put the price up. I'm waiting until they arrive and I can ride one. Hopefully before winter.
Hey fish,the avaliablity of the scout may well be due to that , price point .If you have ever had to compete in a competitive market ,or trying to gain market share you will struggle .its like when you quote to do a job ,then get the job ,do the figures and wonder how the f### you are going to supply then come out in a cold sweat .Thats where indian is with the scout .

1 - 18 of 18 Posts