Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I don’t post a lot because I’m out riding every chance I get. I have a 2020 Challenger base model that I bought in September as a 50th birthday present to myself and the chassis light comes on from the time I’ve gotten the motorcycle. It pretty much comes on every other start now, I have several other problems with this motorcycle but this is my main complaint. I’m being told by my dealer and Polaris this is normal for this bike if voltage drops while starting. I ride often 7k on bike and when not riding it’s always on a tender. Is anyone else having this issue? Please help

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also just to give some insight my previous motorcycle which I traded to get this bike was a 2018 Chieftain limited which was by far the best bike I’ve ever owned not a single glitch in 2 1/ 2 years and 24k miles. I know first year products have issue but they should be able to fix this and not tell me that this is normal function. How will I know the difference when the chassis light comes on and it serious.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know how forums can be, and maybe people think I’m just trying to start a sky is falling thread. But I really just reaching out to fellow riders just to see if anyone else has even heard of this being normal or being told it’s normal. Trying to make sure that this is in fact a normal characteristic of the motorcycle. If few people could at least chime in and tell me a yes or no if they ever heard of this? Maybe I should’ve started a poll?
my bike is in the shop at this time and Polaris is telling me it will keep happening.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I initially had the issue, but it was operator error. I was moving the bike (backing out of the garage or parking space) and hit the start button. I was used to doing that on my other bike. Now that I don’t, no more chassis lights.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I thought at one point it might be kickstand related so I let it go at first, Ive tried different starting procedures as well to no avail. Someone mentioned to let the ride command power up before I start it as well. I now push the circular button on the dash wait for the main screen, then I flip the power toggle on the right side controls wait for the fuel pump to stop and then flip the starter switch. It seems to start a little better but no hel with the chassis light. I have checked my resting voltage which seems to be between 12.7 and 12.9 but I do notice that after I start it it drops below what I believe is normal. I was told last time that the battery was sending a low voltage code to the abs unit and that they replaced the battery it was fine for 4 days and reappeared . I tested the new battery with same results. Also my paperwork did not have a part # for a battery so I’m not sure if they actually replaced the battery. It would be frustrating if it really is a battery that doesn’t hold spec after starting it.

Thanks at least for chiming in

i really appreciate it

·
Registered
107 Posts
Something is not right, demand a new technician. There are many things it could be and THEY should be the ones to find it not you. Do not settle for "this is normal".

·
Registered
31 Posts
A few simple things to check that I've seen. Grounds and battery terminals. Check them and make sure they are tight. The challenger gets finicky with power. Another thing I've seen... When it pops up with the random codes like that pop your fuel cap and see if it hisses. I've seen it where my tank will get over pressured and the bike doesn't like it. Hope you get it sorted out, they really are great bikes

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The first thing I checked was my battery cables when I did my first service. The pro of this bike are power, handling , and suspension without a doubt light year ahead of Harley. The cons I’ve had the ride command is glitchy at best, mine disconnects constantly, freezes, dims for no reason , goes to night mode for no reason so I usually turn off all auto functions. My bike does not start well in the winter cranking very slowly and kicking back requiring more than one start. And lastly my belt was making a chirping noise which was corrected when I had the bike serviced but I believe the tech overnighted the belt and now makes a low pitched groan/squeal at low speeds coasting in heavy traffic which I am told is also normal. That I can fix, but the chassis light I cannot. I love the product and a lot of what Indian has done, but don’t tell me the light doesn’t mean anything , mechanical things have problems, just fix it. I’m in the auto industry and we cannot tell a customer when a telltale light illuminates it’s normal. What’s the purpose of the light.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It doesn’t store a code to review?
It doesn’t store a code I can access, only the dealer can. They are telling me it’s a soft code, which means to them it’s not that bad. I told them I don’t want to see a warning light of any sort and will not accept it otherwise. I am lucky that NY does include motorcycles for lemon law but I would prefer to have my bike back with no issues .

·
Registered
107 Posts
Sounds like it could be a dealer issue, many suffer from poor training, lack of knowledge and poor service which has been amplified and used an excuse since covid. I'd go back to the dealer, demand a different tech, have them get with Indian and diagnose what is causing the light. If that does not work open a case with Indian customer support through the dealer. The ride command issue is well known and will not change until they decide to make fixes to the software. The belt is just lack of a good, knowledgeable tech. These are great bikes but issues with a new bike is never good. I went through my share, it took several months hammering the dealer and Indian, they finally got them fixed and all has been well since...except ride command. I've resigned to the fact it's the junk it is until they want to fix it and just use my phone. I lock the ride command screen it in day or night mode to avoid the flashing back and forth. I don't seem to have the freezing issue many complain about, not sure why.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Get your dealer to tell you the soft code number and issue it is reporting.Being an auto tech it should help you to narrow down the issue.Unfortunatly most current techs will try to clear such codes and not spend the time to actually check it out hoping it won't come back.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I actually opened a case yesterday, believe it or not I have a their top tech working on it. My next step is to bring it to another dealer. The foundation of the challenger is awesome, I appreciate what they‘re trying to provide with the ride command but until it works as designed I find it a distraction. After working with computers all day and answering phones I find myself preferring a bike more like the Springfield and just get back to basics. Maybe Indian will make stripped down version of the challenger or a Springfield on steroids.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have a 2021 challenger darkhorse. I'm at 1700 miles. The chassis light only came on when i was in gear and lowered the kickstand while the bike was on. Otherwise i haven't gotten a chassis light nor does the belt make any weird noises at low speed or high speed. The tech is wrong saying it's nothing. Sometimes weird stuff happens and you get a rogue code that once cleared never comes back but if it does come back then there is a problem.

·
Registered
46 Posts
It could be that your starter is drawing more current than normal, causing the voltage to drop more than normal, thereby creating the low voltage code.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I would find a new dealer to see if they can help. I adjusted my belt on my bike, after I heard it making noise in corners. I get it adjusted, so If a Tech that's been trained to do it, can't get it right and he's the top Tech, time to take it elsewhere. Just my two cents. Also, since you had issues starting when it was cold out, maybe a cell in the battery is weak. Just load test it and see.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello all. Just bought a 2020. Had the chassis fault light come on Saturday. Tech at dealership I purchased it from didn't have any idea what it could be. This same tech installed aftermarket levers for the previous owner. Bad install! Want be using there service department any time soon. Love the bike though!

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So just an update for those that were following. The dealer insisted the chassis light illuminating on a regular basis was normal so I got Polaris involved they decided to look a little deeper and told me mart starter was drawing too many amps and needed to be replaced, a problem that asked about the first time I brought the bike in and was told that’s just how they start. So I picked the bike up today and I can tell yo that it definitely starts better even when I watch the voltmeter there’s much less of a drop and they f eel this was causing the chassis light to come on. That’s the good.

Now the bad, I rode the bike back about 85 miles to my house and stopped for gas. When I finished fueling and powered my bike up and went to start it nothing, nada , zilch. All the lights were on but pressing the start button yielded nothing. So I pushed the bike to the side and hung out, so I went back and now it started but now I have a check engine light on which I’ve never had before. Got the bike home , thank god shut it off before I called the dealer and Indian and now I have a check engine light and the chassis light is back on.

Sometimes things just happen and it’s my turn, when this bike runs it’s very fun except for the infotainment center for me it disconnects constantly to the point I just use the radio. At this point I’m over this bike and would just like to move on, I’m waiting to here back from customer service.

My 2018 Chieftain limited ran flawlessly for 25k miles and I expected the same, l‘m gonna go make some lemonade now. Thanks for letting me vent.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well I have to update this thread one final time, and I have to give credit where credit is due. i had an open case with Indian and after I informed them of my latest experience they are getting me out of my current bike and getting me into a 2021 Challenger in thunder black. Although my service experience was less than favorable at the dealer Indian/Polaris is standing behind their product . I am impressed and extremely hopeful. The core of the bike is awesome and I can’t wait to get back in the saddle and enjoy the summer.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Well I have to update this thread one final time, and I have to give credit where credit is due. i had an open case with Indian and after I informed them of my latest experience they are getting me out of my current bike and getting me into a 2021 Challenger in thunder black. Although my service experience was less than favorable at the dealer Indian/Polaris is standing behind their product . I am impressed and extremely hopeful. The core of the bike is awesome and I can’t wait to get back in the saddle and enjoy the summer.

Im happy for you. It's always a good thing to see a manufacturer care about their customers.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts