Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I've had my Challenger a week and had the light come on twice. If I shut it off and restart the bike it stays off. After the second time it came on I think I know why, and I'm doing it. The code is for brake monitor fault. Both times I had it come on I was backing the bike out of a parking space as I started it. I think it gets a false reading during self test with the bike in motion. Anyone else noticed this?
I'm taking it in Monday for the first service, I'll ask them about it.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I also had the code go off. But I noticed it when I was riding. After I turned the bike off and on it went away. After I got my service they cleared the codes and it hasn’t come back on since

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
202 Posts
I have a Challenger and have had the Chassis Fault three times. Each time cleared with key cycle. In addition, once (without the fault) it would not start. Verified in Neutral and even pulled in clutch as well as cycling the start/kill switch and no luck. Total power off then on, it started. Also had my trip mileage, etc. clear on its own twice. Dealer submitted a case to Indian.

·
Rider
549 Posts
Hey guys, I've had my Challenger a week and had the light come on twice. If I shut it off and restart the bike it stays off. After the second time it came on I think I know why, and I'm doing it. The code is for brake monitor fault. Both times I had it come on I was backing the bike out of a parking space as I started it. I think it gets a false reading during self test with the bike in motion. Anyone else noticed this?
I'm taking it in Monday for the first service, I'll ask them about it.
Starting the bike while rolling it will definitely throw a code as the ABS speed sensor coming on line while moving will definitely confuse things!

·
Premium Member
518 Posts
Agreed. Bike needs to be stationary when starting (sometimes). I've had the chassis fault triangle go off 3X over the past 6 months and everytime it cleared when I shut it off then restarted from everything off position not just the kill switch. I had this happen on my last Indian a couple times as well. I get rushed sometimes because I get stupid and forget. With all the Ride Command gadgets I reset the trip meters the ride center with the elevation screen, and blue tooth my phone music whenever I stop for gas or start the ride. Other riders are waiting on me to get all this done so I'll rush the start and get the fault light.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I am being very deliberate to ensure the bike does not move at all while starting and so far no chassis fault. I thought one of the faults happened while riding but can’t swear to it.

·
Bronze member
1,458 Posts
I had it pop up once on me........and now I know, from some smart forum members, what the issue is. It came up as a YELLOW fault light....and NOT red......so I guess it's only a "caution" light. I had no idea what tripped it....but in hindsight, I think I was trying to start the bike in a soft rolling start....and the on board computer says, no go!! Now I know!! Thnx for the insight.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have had mine come on a few times since then. It's not setting a code and I know the bike is not moving so I think it's a separate issue.
It comes on as soon the power is turned on, even before the engine is started. If I power it down it doesn't come back on. I have also had it flash under hard acceleration when I'm shifting gears. It doesn't remain on in that case. Anyone have this issue?

·
Premium Member
518 Posts
What settings are you running? I run in sport mode 100% of the time. I wish they never added the 3 ride modes. I also deactivate the traction control 75%:eek:f the time. I wish I could permanently disconnect it. After 20 years of riding big heavy v-twin without it, I really cant see the advantage, just something else electronic to mess up the the sensors. I had a KTM 1290 that had a defect in the rear TC/ABS and they didnt cover it under warranty, at 1500 miles so I sold the bike and will never buy another KTM no matter how cool, fast, are great handling they ever become. Indian wasted way too much money and engineering on stupid sensors that create issues for so many riders that just don't need the aggravation. I consider myself lucky. 8000 miles with no electrical issues..My 2018 Springfield suffered many of those glitches so I sold it and chalked it up as cursed. They did fix it before i sold it but it took multiple trips to the dealer of trial and error to figure it out. I can't go back to air cooled after becoming addicted to the wheelspin at the stoplights and the little wheelies when shifting to second and 3rd gear. Way too much fun. When a tuner comes out, I will de-cat, and raise the speed limiter, and the rev limiter a few 100 rpms and switch to V-rated tires.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I put mine in sport mode the day I picked it up and never change it. I agree, far to many sensors and systems monitoring this bike. I do love the bike, and I've had no issues other than this chassis light, which doesn't seem to effect anything. MY bike is newer production, it was built in March.

·
Rider
841 Posts
I ended up getting a new battery under warranty.I also pulled every fuse and circuit breaker and shot them with electronic part cleaner. Then I used removable thread locker on the battery terminal bolts. The bolts didn't have a lock washer , just a smooth washer.
Try load testing the battery as voltage alone is not indicative of a good battery.
Also had a bad battery in the fob.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I ended up getting a new battery under warranty.I also pulled every fuse and circuit breaker and shot them with electronic part cleaner. Then I used removable thread locker on the battery terminal bolts. The bolts didn't have a lock washer , just a smooth washer.
Try load testing the battery as voltage alone is not indicative of a good battery.
Also had a bad battery in the fob.
Thanks Spur! I'll check it over and see what I find before taking it in.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts