Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed a few times after giving my bike a good wipe down that the chassis fault light (orange triangle with an exclamation point in it) comes on. It usually stays on for a ride or two, and then goes away. I spray the cleaner directly onto the rag, then wipe the bike. Is there a sensor somewhere that doesn't like being wet/ wiped down? I have scheduled for my dealership to read the code a few times, but of course it goes away.

On a similar note, do the codes get stored like OBDII on cars? If I take it to the dealership will they be able to tell why the light was on even if it isn't on at the time?

·
Silver member
4,984 Posts
Write the code down before you power it off. And then let us know what code you are getting. Have you started the bike and had the kickstand down when you shift and it killed the bike?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Write the code down before you power it off. And then let us know what code you are getting. Have you started the bike and had the kickstand down when you shift and it killed the bike?
How do you know what code you are getting? I checked all of the screens and didn't see anywhere that you could see the faults. I assumed you can only have it read at the dealership. I have shifted into gear with the bike running and kickstand down once, but it didn't trip a fault. Like I said, this seems to be after I give the bike a good wipe down to clean it. It'll stay on for a start or two, then go away.

·
Silver member
4,984 Posts
You can usually see the codes one time when they happen. Then once you shut down you can't see them anymore. They would be on your ride command screen. You just scroll through then write them down.

The dealer as you suggest can also see them by plugging in to the VCU...

·
Bronze member
5,083 Posts
Codes are stored on the bike's computer and the dealer can read current codes and historic codes. If there is something current and he fixes the problem he can change it to historic.

If a fault trips the chassis warning light it typically stays on for four or five restarts and then the light doesn't show any more. To see the current code you need to click through the menu before you turn off the bike.

If you stop the bike with the kickstand it registers it as a fault code. If you do it more than a certain number the bike doesn't like it. My dealer said somewhere between 50 and 100 as I recall. He said they need to be cleared before the bike will run again. I don't know if that is true or not, it's only one workshop guy and one conversation I had with him.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was getting the same warning light until I changed the battery in my key fob. Seems a low battery in the FOB causes a few codes to be thrown.
I changed the battery and it is still doing the same thing. Did yours stay on until you changed the battery? My light goes off after a while. Yesterday I wiped it down, light came on, and it only stayed on until 20 or so miles down the road. It stayed off the remainder of the day.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I changed the battery and it is still doing the same thing. Did yours stay on until you changed the battery? My light goes off after a while. Yesterday I wiped it down, light came on, and it only stayed on until 20 or so miles down the road. It stayed off the remainder of the day.
Yeah, I kept getting the same code until the battery was changed. I haven't had one since.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Should have added. The warning light had no consistency. Sometimes it would stay on for a few start cycles. Sometimes, it would go on and then stay off the next ride. I keep the fob in the breast pocket of my riding gear to avoid any interference/distance issues.

When I took it to the dealer the damn warning light didn't go off when they started it. Figures! lol Asked them to try it again and it went off. They cleared all the codes but they were stumped as to what was causing the warning light. I remembered someone on here talking about the batteries in the fobs and how many are almost dead when they get reach the consumer. Changed the battery and all has been well since.

Btw, I have the base model and for the life of me couldn't find (still can't) where the codes would be displayed on the ride command.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Well FWIW I just had mine come on, but didn't throw a code on the screen. Or else I wasn't fast enough to catch it. I just noticed it come on when I was stopping I saw the orange triangle with a ! in it. Looked at the screen for some clarification, and there was nothing. Just saw it pop on and pop off. Nothing since. On my 2019 Roadmaster. Had to go to the book and saw "Chassis Fault" and got me worried. But everything looks good so far as I can tell. If it persists I'll have a trip to the dealer, I guess...

·
Registered
207 Posts
Once you do have the code, you can also enter it into the Ride Command mobile phone app to look it up. Goto More, Garage, Info.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts