Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 30% of the time when I start the bike the chasis fault warning light comes on. I cycle the power off then back on and no more light. What's the deal?

·
Registered
186 Posts
I have had that too. Not 30% of the time. When it happens, it never affects the bike in any way. I have ridden 150 miles straight with it on. Has not worried me

·
Registered
60 Posts
It's an issue that I have. Indian is very interested in it, my shop guys want as much info as you can give them (speed, gear, how long did you ride etc.). They said it's not a ride issue at all.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's an issue that I have. Indian is very interested in it, my shop guys want as much info as you can give them (speed, gear, how long did you ride etc.). They said it's not a ride issue at all.
The light sometimes comes on when I push the power button, or it doesn't come on at all.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Mine has come on after riding the bike, stopping shutting it off and then back on within a few minutes. Next time I turn it on it is gone.

·
Registered
204 Posts
For me, I believe it is from moving the bike backwards while powering up or starting. I have never had it when I am stopped when pushing the power button and pushing the starter. I have to back out and maneuver along side my motorhome so on my previous FJR I would start it when backing out so I had a habit of starting the bike when backing out of parking spots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
123 Posts
I find the whole annunciator/sensor system to be buggy, affected by various events (cold temp, movement while starting, kickstand position, cold throttle blipping, & MORE.) -with a pwr-down reset often clearing the warning. Yeah it’s irritating, but my ride has never been effected.

Yesterday in Custer SD prepping to ride the Black Hills all day, it was 29F overnight & 35 at 9am. Started bike & idled for 10+ min to get warm... idled smooth with coolant slowly climbing thru 120F; then suddenly it ran rough & died. Various lights & diagnostic codes were visible. I did a full pwr-down, waited 15sec & restarted. Idled smooth and warmed to 170 but all lights/codes still visible. (certain lights we expect to be on during idle, then soon go out: ABS, etc.)
Shut down while we got geared-up.
Started again with lights/codes still displayed ....and went riding without any ride issues. As tire temp/pressure increased that light extinguished but all others remained ON. Did 70mi, stopped. Restarted, rode, Security light went out but then back on 5min later. CheckEngine light went off & stayed off, same with Chassis Fault light (codes disappeared too.)
Next stop, start & go... all lighted cleared.
Go figure.
No doubt the software needs to evolve, and/or Indian needs to use higher quality sensors.

Btw... I see guys get a bit freaked by the Low Fuel & Fuel Range indicators. That’s a very low priority “feature” for me; that calculation is effected by many variables & hard to get exact. Know your bike friends... mine runs a consistent 43mpg depending how I ride. ALWAYS reset a trip meter to ZERO when ya fill-up. I’ve pushed mine several times to 5.6, 5.73, and to 5.9 gal at top-off, exactly as planned. No that’s not my norm habit, but did it just to KNOW this engine. You can confidently ride a full tank to 240mi if in a tight spot, despite what the “miles to empty” say (I did 265mi with the 5.9g fill) ...or pick a more conservative # for you, 220 or 210 MAX. Bottomline: don’t worry if “miles to empty” or “low fuel” is flashing and you’ve only gone 185mi since full tank.
Ride On.

·
Registered
458 Posts
It has to do with the kick stand being up or down when starting the bike
I do not believe it has to do with the kickstand. Mine does it up or down. I can power the bike off and back on with no other changes and it stays off. It's just very intermittent like others have said.
My bet is it's a software glitch.

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
1,093 Posts
You would hope that the manufactures of this stuff would take the environment into consideration when this stuff is built. The voltage/power tolerances on this stuff can't be that tight that it throws errors so easily. I love my Challenger and I love fuel injection in general but once you try to make things too "smart" but don't take into account how many environmental factors can cause bad readings. I really hope that isn't the case here but that's where my mind goes first.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts