Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This whole week forecast is not that good for riding, night time temperatures <30°F, and my 2018 OEM 12AH battery might need a refresh/recharge. This season the battery is 12.7V when bike is on contact (headlight on), while voltage drops down to <10V while cranking. She starts from the 1st attempt, like a champ. Last season battery was 13.12V-13.20V at rest.

Bike is outside, no garage, and the only charger I got is 110V vintage Sears 6/12V 6A, what I understood provides way too much amperage to use on motorcycle battery.

I got a small 900W AC/DC gas generator. It has 12V DC outlet. I measured whole 18V voltage on its DC outlet, and the manual states that generator provides up to 5.3 Amperes (on DC out?).

Is it safe to try to refresh the bike battery directly from DC generator trough SAE pigtail? I meant to monitor the voltage, and stop charging after an hour or as soon as the battery voltage reaches 13.2V.

It concerns me that charging voltage might be too high (18V) and I am aware that it is recommended to never charge the motorcycle battery at more than one-tenth its rating in amp hours (1.2A in my case).

·
Bronze member
2,244 Posts
Invest in a smart charger and run it off the AC output of the generator. The chance of toasting your battery is high. It might work but the charger will be worth the investment. NOCO make the best chargers, the 3500 is all your need.

HTH.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Battery tender smart charger is less than $30 and comes with all the necessary cables and it's pigtail cable will plug right in to yours on the bike.
Sam:)

·
Bronze member
1,455 Posts
Always use a smart charger. If you have to store bike outside under a cover ( hopefully) .Might be worthwhile to put a 60-75 w trouble light fixture below the engine but up off the ground -under the bike that should be covered. It will keep the engine warm after several hours sitting w/light on, unless wind blowing bad. Start most anytime. Be sure the 110v power is on a GFI. Simple-but-Not responsible if you screw this up.

·
Rider
651 Posts
I used to charge my pop-up trialer marine battery that way. Plugged it into the cigarette lighter while driving. Never a problem. But don't call me... :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts