Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My better half and I got stranded last Sunday. Battery started flashing, check engine light on and trying to get home, it started to lose power. Replace the battery as per dealers request,all under warranty. Stranded again with a new battery. Now our 2017 Chieftain with 7300 miles on it is in the shop ( going on day 3) and the dealer can't duplicate the problem. At first they were thinking Voltage Regulator but now they claim it's charging as it should. That doesn't make me want to take off on any long trips! Losing my confidence in the bike! 28th new motorcycle and I've never had this issue but they've all been Japanese bikes. Go figure!

·
Founding member / platinum
10,006 Posts
Probably results of the bean counters accepting parts and pieces from low bidders not staying with original engineering design features?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just got word from the dealer they changed out the VR. Hope this IS the answer. I will probably ride around the block about 100 times and then slowly expand out from there. I hate it when the dealer doesn't really know if that was for sure the problem!

·
Super Moderator
4,965 Posts
Just got word from the dealer they changed out the VR. Hope this IS the answer. I will probably ride around the block about 100 times and then slowly expand out from there. I hate it when the dealer doesn't really know if that was for sure the problem!
There have been plenty of VR's replaced, sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. I've seen alternators with internal regulators do the same thing, hook them up to a VAT's50 tester and they will charge fine one minute and then quite and then start charging again. If you want to see the prior threads, type in voltage regulator in the search bar at the top right and you can get an hour or so of reading material. LOL

·
Bronze member
3,379 Posts
When I picked up my new Springfield a couple weeks ago,the very first thing I noticed was the VR and oil filter were right up front and in the line of fire of shit being kicked up by the front tire.So the very first thing I did to the machine was, install a decent sized front mud flap on the bottom of the fender to prevent that from happening.And obviously,after reading about the amount of failed VR's on here,I made the right decision.So my advice is,if anyone is interested,install a front flap on the bottom of your front fender too, like I did, as that should protect the VR from debris being kicked up by the tire,not to mention,the embarrassment of being stuck on the side of the road when you're a looooooooooooooooooong ways from home. Dave!!!

·
Registered
517 Posts
When I picked up my new Springfield a couple weeks ago,the very first thing I noticed was the VR and oil filter were right up front and in the line of fire of shit being kicked up by the front tire.So the very first thing I did to the machine was, install a decent sized front mud flap on the bottom of the fender to prevent that from happening.And obviously,after reading about the amount of failed VR's on here,I made the right decision.So my advice is,if anyone is interested,install a front flap on the bottom of your front fender too, like I did, as that should protect the VR from debris being kicked up by the tire,not to mention,the embarrassment of being stuck on the side of the road when you're a looooooooooooooooooong ways from home. Dave!!!
I cant imagine an electrical,sealed VR or an oil filter for that matter caring about stuff getting slung on it from the tire. Thats where the HD ones live and I've put hundreds of thousands of miles on them without a problem. One with mechanical points maybe.

·
Bronze member
3,379 Posts
All I can tell ya is,the location of that VR is right smack dab in harms way and everything that gets kicked up by the front tire gets fired directly at it.And all it takes is one good hit to damage it,because it is an electronic device and is sensitive to shock.And then, ya have the rain as the water can also penetrate the plug and or affect the ground [poor connection] and cause ya grief.Now on the other hand,if ya never drive over any roads that have stones, debris,or puddles on em,lol, then maybe ya don't need a front flap.But experience tells me differently,hence ya wanna protect it,atleast I do,and I'll take any and every advantage I can get.

Now I also use deer alerts [ animal warning devices] on everything I own,which everyone laughs at me for.But,to date, I have run across dozens of those critters,but have yet to come in contact with one.Am I lucky?? Maybe!! But then again,maybe not.But each to his own,and again, I'll take any and every advantage I can get.Carry on gentlemen/ladies!! Dave!!!

·
Bronze member
3,379 Posts
One more thing I forgot to mention,again,if anyone is interested.When ever you have a wire or connector plug disconnected,ALWAYS apply a little die electric grease [sparingly] on that connector before ya plug it back together.Believe me,you'll be glad ya did.But on the other hand,if ya don't care,then don't do it.Down the road you'll wish ya did! And I promise I won't laugh or say "I told ya so" Carry on gentlemen!!! .

·
Rider
636 Posts
Di-electric is old school...we use stabilant 22 now.....On any connector, but be careful and only apply to the pins as it can remove any markings on receptacles.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts