Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for opinions or suggestions on something to keep my legs warm on my morning commute to work. In NE Ohio in the mornings this time of year it’s about 40*s but in the afternoon it can be in the 70*s. I’m able to keep my upper body warm but don’t have anything to keep my lower half warm. I want to wear them over my work clothes so I’m not looking to buy a pair of “motorcycle pants”.

Also I ride a scout bobber so there is absolutely no wind protection, anything would help

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the thoughts. I should also mention that I try my best to avoid rain, so waterproof is not a concern

·
Silver member
3,146 Posts
I’ve worn chaps for decades. They work well enough for me even with temps into to lower 20’s.
Same here. In colder temps I'll generally go with long johns under my jeans, and top them off with chaps. Inseam is 32ish inches so I buy 34 inch jeans. The longer jeans with 10 inch boots works for me. My hands get cold though :(

·
Rider
932 Posts
Depends on what you like.

If you like the look of Chaps, then go for it.

I personally find them funny looking and downright ugly (no offense whatsoever to those who wear them), so I went with overpants.
Plus, I just can't imagine a woman old or young looking at a dude wearing Chaps and thinking wow, sexy. They're probably a huge deterrent for women, but that's only an assumption on my part.

So, if you don't mind the look, or married/have girlfriend...etc, then go with what's more comfortable, in this case maybe chaps, usually lighter. My overpants I can barely move in them, stopped using them a long time ago.

·
Registered
203 Posts
What has worked for me is wearing gatorskins thermal long johns under my pants. Here is the link: Thermal Pants - Gatorskins USA. I bought a pair 10 years ago while I was still in the military. Needless to say, I have put on a few since my "fighting weight" days but these thermals still work well for me. They are really good at reflecting heat and keeping the cold away. My only issue was getting to work early enough so I could take them off, get dressed, and be ready in time for my shift. I will ride until it is at 38F outside. Once it gets colder than that, I leave the bike at home because it just isn't fun at that point.

If long johns are not appealing, the tried-and-true motorcycle clothing to use is chaps. Despite the style and small stigma that comes with them, people that buy them swear by them. I was very briefly in the market for a set until I tried a pair on. I found them to be awkward to try to put on. But to each their own. Another option is over-pants.

Tourmaster sells a pair of overpants I was quite close to ordering. Here is the link: TOURMASTER Motorcycle Apparel & Gear - Overpant. Something I can take on and off without going to a bathroom for privacy was appealing. I didn't find a fault it the design or anything, I just have too many problems finding pants that fit my bottom-half right.

·
Silver member
3,146 Posts
Depends on what you like.

If you like the look of Chaps, then go for it.

I personally find them funny looking and downright ugly (no offense whatsoever to those who wear them), so I went with overpants.
Plus, I just can't imagine a woman old or young looking at a dude wearing Chaps and thinking wow, sexy. They're probably a huge deterrent for women, but that's only an assumption on my part.

So, if you don't mind the look, or married/have girlfriend...etc, then go with what's more comfortable, in this case maybe chaps, usually lighter. My overpants I can barely move in them, stopped using them a long time ago.
Chaps to me = function, they do the job. I'm not overly concerned with the "looks". As you can seen in my avatar, I am a chick magnet, regardless.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I'm from NE Ohio originally and life here in Georgia in early spring can is similar to Ohio in later spring: 40's in the morning 70's in the afternoon.

Layers are your friend. I'll throw on leather chaps over my kevlar jeans in the morning and then remove them and roll them up at work/in the afternoon. I know you stated that you're not concerned about rain as you try to avoid rain (don't know how you do that in NE Ohio...) but leather chaps will also keep you reasonably dry in all but the torrential downpours. I've also found that the kevlar jeans are warmer than 'normal' jeans (Levis).

If it is colder - say below 40 - I'll add a pair of the FreezeOut base layer (from any Cycle Gear) under my jeans. They breathe well, so I can usually leave those on as it gets warmer, but removing them is always an option.

I'm on a scout also, but have a windshield so the jewels don't get direct wind. Experience on my previous bike that had no windshield was that even a small tank bag will do wonders if you're concerned about your reproductive health. Good luck, great riding, go Tribe!

(editted for typoos ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts