Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Challenger base model and I am looking to change the Warhorse on the front fender from the Chrome to a black one. Does anyone know if this is a difficult process or how to do it?

I tried searching on the Internet and YouTube and can’t seem to find anything on how to remove and swap. Thanks.

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
1,081 Posts
Others have done it and said it was pretty easy. There should be instalation instructions on the site.

Reactions: Newchallenger

·
Registered
76 Posts
I’m doing it. Still waiting for one part. There are like 5 different part numbers. I’ll post tomorrow if no one beats me to it. It’s not bad. Hardest part is removing the outer fairing to plug it in which isn’t bad at all. It’s all plug and play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I found one and I assume I wouldn’t have to do anything other than undo mine and then replug in the new one. Let me know how it goes!

·
Registered
76 Posts
The one on the base challenger doesn’t light up. It’s kind of deceiving the way it is to order it. You think you’re getting everything needed the way the picture shows, but you don’t. There is the LED war bonnet itself, two separate decals, two screws, a wire loom, and a gasket. All have separate part numbers. It’s rediculous. They should sell it whole. Total money grab. Here are the parts and numbers: Black war bonnet with LED 2414645-266 $184.99, Tray Harness 5455563 $9.99, Gasket 5417308 $2.99, Screws 7520993 $1.99, Headress Right 7191122-02 $34.99, Headress Left 7191121-02 $34.99

I have everything except one of the decals. Been waiting 3 months so far. Still no ship date available.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Yeah I’m pretty sure that doesn’t include any of the mounting hardware or the side headress pieces. The part number I provided should come with the wire and connector. You replace it and run the wire up into the fairing and plug it in. There is a plug for it behind the outer fairing. There’s a youtube video how to remove the outer fairing that is decent. I also ordered the wire loom piece holds the wire to the underside of the fender as well so it’s nice and neat. Others have used those stick on squares to run the wires. I prefer the OEM loom tho.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I’m not even sure if the one you are looking at includes the wiring harness. It’s like $75 cheaper than the one I listed so I’m a little skeptical. I’ll see if I can take a picture of what I have after work tomorrow.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah seems a little bit more work than just an easy swap what I was hoping for. Please let me know how it went with yours, I’m assuming you have a base model as well.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I have the base model Challenger and I put LED's inside of my war bonnet so that it would light up. Mine already had the wire loom there, so didn't have to order that. I didn't order anything from the dealer, since I would have to order everything, not just the wiring and LED. I was told they don't just sell the wiring, even though the parts list shows it. As far as being easy, it wasn't hard at all. I removed my fender so I had room to work, and of course the outer fairing needs to be removed to access the plug. My tech gave me a plug, but you can order one also. There was a post somewhere that had the parts list for the LED's and the plug, if you wanted to do it yourself and save a boat load of money. I think all in, I spent $40, but had a roll of LED's that I used inside of my saddle bags for light if I need to get in there are night.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
4,814 Posts
I'm wondering if it would be cheaper and less labor intensive to just paint or Plasti-dip the Warbonnet black.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm wondering if it would be cheaper and less labor intensive to just paint or Plasti-dip the Warbonnet black.
I agree if it’s just to black it out. I do like the blacked out look of it but I would like the LED light. I guess I would have to see a Challenger in person at night if it really makes a difference or not.

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
1,081 Posts
I love the way it looks a night. It stand out even during an overcast day. Here's a bright night pic. I have more than the average amount of light coming out the front of the bike and it still stands out.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for posting that, it does look good in the center. I also like it because it’s different than any other bike and it definitely stands out. I’ll be watching to try to get this done!

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
1,081 Posts
Glad to help!

·
Bronze member
5,082 Posts
My 2018 Springfield DH did not have the warbonnet so I added one myself. This was a used one from a wreck that started out chrome. I painted it with black Plastidip and the match was perfect. Unless you want the gloss finish, painting yours might be an option.

·
Registered
76 Posts

These are the 6 different parts needed if you are going to change the non-lit chrome Challenger war bonnet over to a lit up black one (minus the right hand decal which hasn’t come in yet). You don’t really need to order the screws, but in my case I want to use my chrome one I am taking off and put it on a vintage fender to make a lamp out of it. If you are only interested in lighting up your current chrome one, you can do what a previous member indicated and just add LEDs inside of it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

These are the 6 different parts needed if you are going to change the non-lit chrome Challenger war bonnet over to a lit up black one (minus the right hand decal which hasn’t come in yet). You don’t really need to order the screws, but in my case I want to use my chrome one I am taking off and put it on a vintage fender to make a lamp out of it. If you are only interested in lighting up your current chrome one, you can do what a previous member indicated and just add LEDs inside of it.

Thanks for the info and the photo! Hopefully the other side will come soon. Keep me updated when you put it on and the difficulty and how you routed your wires up to the faring etc. thanks

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Looking through your itemize list I can’t seem to find what is this part?

Attachments

1 - 20 of 29 Posts