Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone changed the shims for the intake and exhaust?

My 20,000 mi. service is coming up and the shims are meant to be checked they're within tolerances allowed. The manual has this great big chart (I can't understand) to do with the shims and if they need to be swapped over.

·
Bronze member
1,919 Posts
The "valve clearance" shim/ buckets are only changed if the valve clearances are out the specified tolerance.
There is no recommended interval so to speak.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Shop manual calls out for 20,000 mile checks.

If you search the forum for valve clearance there are a few people who had it done. Most haven't needed any replacement.

I intend to wait until something else happens, the effort to check is near as much as replacing, plus you may not find the correct bucket in a timely fashion. My local dealer doesn't recommend checking unless there's a running issue.
V6 Fords of the early 90s used a similar shimless bucket, the first recommended inspection was at 100,000 miles. I understand they were generally still in spec at that point.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies and all understood. And I get the impression most would send it to the shop for the service rather than having to do it themselves as it's quite an involved part of the 20,000mi. service.

I'm asking if any anyone has actually had to change the shims and what did they find, what was the milage when the shims needed to be changed etc.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts