Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being one of likely many that don't like the handling of the pre 2020 Indian vintage I was looking at spare parts for the 2020 and noted the front frame member and neck can be purchased.
Does anyone know if this would fit the earlier model?
Just way to expensive to trade the bike to get the newer frame and I hate riding the bike as is.
To be honest I think Indian should be doing something for Vintage owners as the original frame was a huge design error proven by the change to the frame for 2020.
Looks should never trump function in my opinion.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have a 2014 Vintage and absolutely love it. I'm 6'4" and the balance it has in the twisting mountain roads of Idaho is amazing! I have heard guys complain of how it handles in parking lots, but I have no gripes - and I don't spend much time riding around parking lots. I'm friends with the local mechanic at the Indian dealership and I'll ask him about the front frame switch for you.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Being one of likely many that don't like the handling of the pre 2020 Indian vintage I was looking at spare parts for the 2020 and noted the front frame member and neck can be purchased.
Does anyone know if this would fit the earlier model?
Just way to expensive to trade the bike to get the newer frame and I hate riding the bike as is.
To be honest I think Indian should be doing something for Vintage owners as the original frame was a huge design error proven by the change to the frame for 2020.
Looks should never trump function in my opinion.

Think the only thing the change proves is they didn’t want to keep making 2 versions of the same part. If it was a design error wouldn’t have lasted 5 years before changing. Personally I like it, never had an issue riding, and didn’t notice a huge difference when I test rode a Springfield with the different rake angle. But everybody’s different.

That said, I do think the parts are interchangeable, the frame tubes that come down the sides are the same part numbers on bikes with both necks, and basically everything else that bolts to the neck is the same on each bike. Not sure what all would have to come apart to actually do the change though, at minimum would have to pull the tank off. Sure there’s others on here with more intimate knowledge of the actual procedure.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Fork tubes are different lengths and triple trees are different angles between Springfield and Classic/Vintage models. Also the neck is where the VIN is, so you might not be able to buy different geometry part number and keep your VIN. Might create a title issue. The different geometries require different parts in these locations. I really love the way my Vintage handles, both on the highway and on twisty roads. Rock solid planted all the time and wind doesn't blow it around at all. It is a bit clunky handling in parking lots, but as was said above, I don't spend much time in parking lots.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Fork tubes are different lengths and triple trees are different angles between Springfield and Classic/Vintage models. Also the neck is where the VIN is, so you might not be able to buy different geometry part number and keep your VIN. Might create a title issue. The different geometries require different parts in these locations. I really love the way my Vintage handles, both on the highway and on twisty roads. Rock solid planted all the time and wind doesn't blow it around at all. It is a bit clunky handling in parking lots, but as was said above, I don't spend much time in parking lots.
That’s a real good point about the vin and forks. I was just thinking how it bolts to the rest of the frame, completely overlooked the change in triple tree angle and fork length. Doh! And vin would def be a hassle to legally deal with the change. Seems like a lot of effort for 4 degrees

·
Bronze member
3,349 Posts
you can order the frame with your current VIN and they'll send it to you... I do not know if you would be able to do it with this type of upgrade or only if you wreck your bike and want the replacement frame..

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have the 2017 Chief Vintage. I love the way it handles. There's nothing wrong with it. I find that the 29 degree rake is part of what makes the Chief. I was kind of bummed out when I found out that they changed it in 2020. Now in 2021, there is no Chief in the lineup. It sure didn't take long for them to drop the Chief. Indian Chief: 2014- 2020. RIP.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts