Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2015 chieftain with 29,000 miles on the meter.
I changed from the stock Indian 50/50 blend oil to amsoil
20/40 weight. When changing gears now they seem to be noticeable louder. Not greatly but some louder. I have about 100 miles on the oil.
Any thoughts on this guys

Thanks

·
Registered
60 Posts
I wouldent worry as lots of riders use Amsoil but if its annoying just use another brand next change.. All good oil is good if to specs ..some brands overpriced is alll

·
Registered
50 Posts
2015 chieftain with 29,000 miles on the meter.
I changed from the stock Indian 50/50 blend oil to amsoil
20/40 weight. When changing gears now they seem to be noticeable louder. Not greatly but some louder. I have about 100 miles on the oil.
Any thoughts on this guys

Thanks

·
Bronze member
3,072 Posts
I am now running Castrol GTX 20W50 ,conventional [DINO] motor oil in my scooter [as I have in all my motorcycles over the years and warm weather months] and it runs a lot quieter now then it did when I first bought it.[And I ALWAYS allow it to WARM up for atleast 10 minutes or so before driving off and NEVER take it to red line if and or when the motor, or oil are COLD] However,what I've also done,thru trial and error, is bring the oil level right to the full mark on the dip stick.And I do this after the machine has been parked over night,cold oil,setting as level as possible. And to me,it's running even quieter.And then,I have no oil or oil residue showing up ANYPLACE on the motor, trans cases,or in and around the air box!! However,over the winter months,I run Castrol 15/40 dino oil and drive it pretty conservatively.So I must be doing something right !! And I came up with these ideas thru trail and error over the 2 years,4 months,and 37,000 miles I've owned and traveled with this machine.
Now,I'm NOT telling anyone what to do,or not to do,ONLY WHAT IS WORKING FOR ME!! So use it,don't use it!! That's up to you!!

·
Registered
516 Posts
Quite a few of us use Amsoil. We love it because of its quality. I never noticed my gears any louder (or quieter for that matter) when using Amsoil

·
Rider
1,579 Posts
Respectfully I think anything else s better than the semi synthetic 20/40 Indian oil.I switched to the full synthetic 15/60 couldn’t be happier. It’s doing quite well in the 80-90 degree temps here in Ohio.

·
Bronze member
3,072 Posts
I'm curious!! Just what are you paying for a quart of this 15/60 full synthetic oil?? Thank you! Dave!!!

·
Rider
1,579 Posts
My mechanic said at the shop I go to the drag specialties version and it works just fine as if it were Aimsoil or Indian.....

·
Bronze member
2,021 Posts

·
Bronze member
3,072 Posts
I was payin 4 bucks a qt.[5 qt. container] or 20 bucks for my 20W50 Castrol GTX regular oil the last time I bought it.[I usually buy three or four of those 5 qt containers at a time when I do buy it] And yes [for whatever reason] that price has also increased since the last time I bought it.And even though that price has increased, it's still better then 12 bucks [or better] for ONE QT.In my almost 60 years mounted on two wheelers,I have never seen such price gouging like I'm seeing today,especially if the oil you're buying is motorcycle specific and or synthetic. :eek: (n) I think these people are either just plain greedy [price gouging] or on drugs.And there's no f***** need of it!! GRRRRRRRRRR!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts