Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there some put 87 octane gas instead higher grade because of the price of gas?
Personnally I did it not beacause of the price but just to try and notice no difference at all.

·
Registered
2022 Springfield Crimson Red
215 Posts
Octane is the measure of how much compression a fuel can withstand before igniting. Using lower octane fuel other than the fuel reccomended can cause pre-detonation (knocking or pinging) which can severly damage an engine. The 111 and 116 are considered high compression engines and require higher octane.You might get away with it if you don't load the engine at all, but you take the risk of a cracked piston when you do. Where I live premium is about 75c more than regular, but my Springfield cost $30k. Simple math for me.
Also you should always look for "Top Tier" fuel. The detergent and additives in Top Tier are 3-7 times what you get with mom and pop fuel.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
6,497 Posts
My Challenger doesn't like lower grade fuel. It causes my engine to ping and my exhaust to pop. I never deliderately put it in my tank but I have purchased lower grade octane that was labeled 93 on the pump. I can immediately tell the difference. Fortunately this has only happened a couple of times.

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
Not worth it to experiment to see if you notice a difference. I would burn out a 1/2 tank and fill with with premium to at least have mid grade. Burn out most of the tank before refilling with premium so you have almost all premium again.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Prices have actually been dropping in my area for whatever reason... filled up for under $5 per gallon for no-eth 91 today.
First time doing that this month. Was paying $6 per gallon a week ago in Michigan.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'm fortunate to have a station not far from me that carries ethanol-free 93 octane. I've been running it almost exclusively in my 2019 Chieftain Classic (I'm the original owner), and honestly I don't care if it gets to $10 a gallon. I'll keep buying it.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I've accidentally put 85 in mine a couple times due to filling the bike and my car up in the same week (and not paying attention), but luckily it wasn't that hot out, and I'm up in Denver, so the altitude helps you get away with it. I might've heard a bit of detonation a couple times on one tank in the afternoon, but the other I realized what I'd done right after and babied it that tank to keep her alive.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Octane is the measure of how much compression a fuel can withstand before igniting. Using lower octane fuel other than the fuel reccomended can cause pre-detonation (knocking or pinging) which can severly damage an engine. The 111 and 116 are considered high compression engines and require higher octane.You might get away with it if you don't load the engine at all, but you take the risk of a cracked piston when you do. Where I live premium is about 75c more than regular, but my Springfield cost $30k. Simple math for me.
Also you should always look for "Top Tier" fuel. The detergent and additives in Top Tier are 3-7 times what you get with mom and pop fuel.
Thanks!

·
Registered
144 Posts
i have on a few occasions had no choice. on some of my cross country trips ive run across stations out west that only had the lower grade. I just try not to rip on her until i can put the good stuff back in. I think i might try storing a $6 octane boost in saddlebags for future trips though after reading some of these comments. but when you're empty - you're empty

·
Registered
651 Posts
Why gamble on damaging engine ?
Some people think octane is a power generator. Thats BS. Higher octane is a requirement for high compression engines which are linked/associated with high power.

·
Registered
2022 Chief Bobber Dark Horse
129 Posts
Which engine give best MPG? The TS111 on 87 octane or the TS116 on 91 octane? Does Stage 2 improve MPG? My CDH Bobber, on the gage, went from 54MPG to 52MPG almost immediately when I went to Stage 1. To my knowledge there is no way to "Reset" the MPG figure on the Ride Command 4in screen nor via 'Connected Services'.

·
Registered
759 Posts
I can reset mine which should be essentially the one you're using. Press the MPG figure and hold it till it resets. Sometimes it works with a quick press and other times it doesn't. Welcome to RC.

·
Registered
2021 Indian Springfield
129 Posts
I only run my 2021 Springfield 111 on premium gas. Usually labeled 93 octane, occasionally 92. I often hear light spark knock, especially in the hot weather we've been having. So it's tuned for best efficiency at that octane level. The knock sensor will let the computer know to retard the timing before it damages anything, even on 87 octane, but running with the spark retarded makes the engine burn more fuel, lose power, and run hotter. Exhaust valves especially will run hotter. I knew the recommendation of 91+ pump octane when I bought my Indian. Honestly, I don't know how they get the 116 to run on pump gas with 11:1 compression, air cooled.

·
Premium Member
2022 Chieftain Dark Horse
100 Posts
Please feel free to check my math, but AAA says the national average for reg=$4.926 and premium=$5.632 right now. My bike holds 5.5 gallons, so $27.093 and $30.976, respectively, to fill a completely empty tank. So $3.883 a tank more for premium. At 50 MPG, which is what I average, I can do about 275 miles on a tank. 3.883/275=0.01412. So I'd save a whole 1.4 cents a mile by using regular. Even on a cross country trip (say, 2,400 miles) that would only amount to a total savings of $33.88. I'll stick with premium.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Please feel free to check my math, but AAA says the national average for reg=$4.926 and premium=$5.632 right now. My bike holds 5.5 gallons, so $27.093 and $30.976, respectively, to fill a completely empty tank. So $3.883 a tank more for premium. At 50 MPG, which is what I average, I can do about 275 miles on a tank. 3.883/275=0.01412. So I'd save a whole 1.4 cents a mile by using regular. Even on a cross country trip (say, 2,400 miles) that would only amount to a total savings of $33.88. I'll stick with premium.
Same here. I can’t see why anyone would use the low octane the difference in price isn’t worth the risk.

·
Registered
155 Posts
i have been running mid-grade (89 octane minimum) in my 2016 Springfield since about new. I shift at 3 grand or less. I have never heard this bike ping. All stock and getting 42-43 mpg in the summer running mostly interstate at 65-78 mph with a 3” lower factory windshield. 26k on the odometer now. Also running Amsoil sythetic 20-40. Going to go to 10K for the oil change. At 5K, I added about 4 oz. to my crankcase and it’s full. This engine is tight. Just change my stock battery and I paid the price for an Indian battery cause if they will go 7 years, it’s worth it! Still have my stock rear tire. I think it’s going to my 30K miles! Unbelievable

·
Registered
161 Posts
How the hell are you getting such good mileage? I'm averaging 40-ish (give or take a couple mpg) and I'm lucky to break 200mi on a tank. I'm usually filling up again around the 170-180 mark.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts